First World Problems

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

GenAdFemale

Re: First World Problems

Postby GenAdFemale » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 12:16 pm

Time to put an ice pack on the thermostat, Momma.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 01:45 pm

Thermodynamics for the win! Excellent suggestion, GAFfy.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 02:45 pm

Or something to mask where the sun directly hits the thermostat--construction paper and tape? Aluminum foil?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 03:08 pm

I've had a construction paper shield on it in the past, but people didn't think it looked good. Like that matters!

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 05:16 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I've had a construction paper shield on it in the past, but people didn't think it looked good. Like that matters!

As Fernando said, it is better to look good than to feel good.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 08:09 pm

I quote that one a lot, only I thought it was mahvelous. But I might have made that up. Either way, it's a crock when you're my age.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:23 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I quote that one a lot, only I thought it was mahvelous. But I might have made that up. Either way, it's a crock when you're my age.

He did say "you look mahvelous" also. That may be the more frequently used in fact. Not sure.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 11:25 am

My coworker also works at the Bath and Body outlet store. They are very, very strict that returned products must be destroyed, as in emptying all the product out of the bottle and into the trash. Okay, I get that; someone *might* have tampered with it before returning it. But they also have to destroy all the Christmas lights and decorations every year. They used to at least be allowed to sell them to the employees, but now they have to cut each strand of lights into little pieces so no one can use them. Sounds like their prices must be too high, if they can afford that!

They get so much stuff returned, too. There is one woman in particular who brings back lotions and sprays every week and has them cheerfully replaced for free every week. She's far from the only one, but she is the most blatant. She'll never run out of her favorites!

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 08:39 am

I say this in all seriousness:
THEY CUT UP CHRISTMAS LIGHT STRANDS?

That is unacceptable. I love Christmas lights and I hate to even HEAR that they have been desecrated in such a way!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 09:29 am

I know! It's like yelling at your grandma. I was going to say kicking a puppy, but that's something I can't even joke about.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 09:52 am

I sure whine a lot! But I'm glad we have this thread, which is for more frivolous whining, because I don't really have anything serious to complain about. Stuff hurts, but I'd rather have that than some of the problems so many people are dealing with in this old world.

Anyway, my desk is right next to the printer/copy/fax machine. I like that, because I can help people who don't know how to work it, and I can do it without making them feel stupid, like *other* people in the office might do. But you know what I hate? Sometimes people print something, and then don't come and pick it up right away, and my policy is to just let it sit there. When they want it, they'll pick it up. But some people feel the need to hand-deliver everything they find there, and if they don't know who printed it, they put it on MY desk! Have you SEEN my desk? Do NOT pile anything else on it! And even more important than extra piles for me to sift through, the person who printed it will eventually come looking, and when they don't see it on the printer, they will think it didn't print, and go back and do it again, and forget it again, and Ms. Good Helper will pile it on my desk again.

Life is tough.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 11:29 am

Sorry, Momma, but I have to chuckle at your problem! My work printer is 200 miles away from my workstation. I can't get to it very often at all, and I frequently forget if I printed a document (which sometimes leads to double printing). That being said (and laughs being laughed), it would irk me to be the default file storage area for the printing jobs of others. :)

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 12:21 pm

That is one big {expletive} office, GAF.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 04:41 pm

That it is, SDR. Except it's a specialty dental office, not a {expletive} office. We do teeth, not.....uh......nevermind

Swearing. That's it, we don't do swearing.

Unless we mess up the root canal procedure or mess up a patient's account balance. And then we may go into the tiny little room in the back and very quietly say "darn" or "crud" in less polite terms.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 04:57 pm

And the patient probably uses some of that language if those things get messed up, too.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 07:19 pm

I used to be the person who delivered the forgotten printouts from the printer, until the day I delivered a paper to a man on our team, and then realized it was his pay stub. Right at the same time as he entered his cube and saw me standing there with it in my hand...
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 08 Nov, 2013 09:19 am

I often do deliver the faxes, if it's obvious who it belongs to. Sometimes I even deliver printing, but quite often they're still working on printing things, and if I deliver part of it they would prefer to get it all at once.

I work in a very small office. I can't imagine how it would be if there were even 20 people using this machine.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 02:17 pm

I have a new silly thing to complain about! My birthday was a week ago, and Teresa's is the 23rd. We both agreed that we didn't want a lunch, like we usually do for birthdays, but we did want a carrot cake that Renee was talking about. So we told everyone that ALL WE WANTED WAS CARROT CAKE. No lunch, and certainly no presents.

So today Renee brought the carrot cake, but about the time I was ready for some (I'm eating it in place of lunch, or that was the plan) Christina started taping balloons all over the walls, and then she told us we can't eat until 12:15. It looks like we are having chicken enchiladas and all kinds of other stuff, which I most certainly did not budget my calories for. The only good thing is that since Teresa is usually the one that coordinates presents, so I'm pretty sure we won't get those.

And now that it's 12:15, I'm okay that we had to wait so long, but I was starving at 11:30.

I guess I won't get all attitudy about people ignoring my wishes, though.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 06 May, 2014 11:03 am

I'm so glad I have a stable, secure job, but some people are just so hard to get along with! One of my coworkers is just an obstructionist when it comes to making things work for anyone she doesn't like. And that's most people, it seems. I'm just so easy-going that it's hard for me to understand why anyone would want to deliberately put up a roadblock if there's no reason for it. Just now a mom asked a teacher if she could get her money back for the field trip they went on, because her daughter was sick that day and wasn't able to go. Teresa's answer was "no refunds." Um, hello, we paid $20 for something we weren't able to do, through no fault of our own? I usually stay out of these things, but I butted in on that and said yes, we'll refund the money. It only causes more tension when we dig in our heels on things that don't make any sense!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:38 pm

I really don't know if I can hang on for another 3 1/2 years until I retire. I'm so tired! But I'll be off all next week for Thanksgiving, and then work the three most fun weeks of the year, and then three weeks off, and then work a week and then have a Monday off, then four more weeks and a four-day weekend, and then five weeks and a week off for spring break, and then I have to work all of April and May, until Memorial Day, without a day off. Poor me.

Return to “Main Forum”