First World Problems

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

SDR

Re: First World Problems

Postby SDR » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 02:39 pm

So you don't have any classes during Thanksgiving week at all? Or are you just taking the whole week off?

I ask because my wife was under the impression that a particular school would not have any classes at all during Thanksgiving week, but we confirmed that they would have classes Monday & Tuesday. So I'm wondering what your school does.

And when exactly did public schools change the Thanksgiving holiday from starting on Thursdays (you know, Thanksgiving Day) to Wednesdays? My memories of school (public school & BYU) are that we only got the two days off, but I am getting Old(TM).

Note: Old is a state of mind, not an age. Just to be clear. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 03:59 pm

I remember being at BYU and having only Thursday and Friday off (which was the way it was in elementary and high school, too) but I personally knew two kids who were killed in car accidents trying to get home, and I know we drove all night, and I think that had something to do with the change in later years to Wednesday through Friday.

We have the whole week off. It's delightful. From 1993-2002, we were on a year-round schedule, where we had basically the months of August, December, and April off. It was wonderful to be off all through Christmas month, and being off in August meant I could go to Education Week, and I LOVED being off for a month in the spring! Housework, yardwork, warm weather, wonderful! The only trouble was that we had only about five days to set up and start the new school year, which started in July, and then we'd be in school for four weeks and then out for four weeks.

Anyway, during that time, we only had Thanksgiving and the day after for holidays, and it made it kind of hard to do all the preparations. So that was one of the bright sides when we quit year-round and went back to a more traditional schedule. I love the week off, and I love that we have three weeks off at Christmas instead of the tradition two weeks. We don't get out until the Friday before, which was hard the year Christmas was on Tuesday, but that week off after the New Year's stuff is a nice vacation. You get Christmas put away, you clean the house from top to bottom, and then you still have a week to sit around and eat chocolate and fruitcake and gain back all the weight you lost during the busy time.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:49 pm

There are good reasons for the longer holiday to be sure. I'm just a cranky old white man. :)

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 07:01 pm

Momma Snider wrote:We have the whole week off. It's delightful. From 1993-2002, we were on a year-round schedule, where we had basically the months of August, December, and April off. It was wonderful to be off all through Christmas month, and being off in August meant I could go to Education Week, and I LOVED being off for a month in the spring! Housework, yardwork, warm weather, wonderful! The only trouble was that we had only about five days to set up and start the new school year, which started in July, and then we'd be in school for four weeks and then out for four weeks.
That's how it's done in Sri Lanka - three months of school followed by a month of holidays, rinse and repeat. I think Singapore does it the same way, and probably Malaysia as well. It seems to work well.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 08:14 pm

It was supposed to be better educationally as well as potentially money-saving for the district, although the only way it saved money was if there were multiple tracks and teachers moved to different classrooms to keep the campus full all the time. I think for some kids and families it is better educationally, but what I noticed was a whole lot of kids who turned off their brains for the last week or two before going off track, and didn't turn them back on until a week or two back in session. If parents would stay on top of things and make sure their kids read and stuff even when they're off, it would be a great system. Too many of our parents don't have that concept.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 08:27 pm

Too many of every district's parents don't have that concept. Those are the parents that look at school as "free day care".
Last edited by SDR on Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:05 pm

When I was a kid, we got the entire week off for Thanksgiving, because it is hunting season, and so many kids would miss school anyway, there wasn't much point in having classes. Now it starts the Wed before, which Is plenty time off, really. My complaint is, for parent/teacher conferences, this past week they took a half-day on Thursday, and all day off on Friday! I've never heard of such a thing! It really put a hurting on me from a work perspective. Luckily, I still had some vacation days left. But, this is for a private school, everything they do is different. Usually in a very good way.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 22 Nov, 2014 02:26 pm

We had a day off last Monday for parent-teacher conferences. I had to work, and it was pretty busy, with parents calling or coming in all day to say they couldn't make their conferences or couldn't remember what time they were supposed to come or whatever, but I got to go in an hour later than usual, so it was okay.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 04:11 pm

Here's a First World problem, maybe. It was frustrating, but I had to laugh because I'm grateful that I have doctors and insurance and medications.

My pharmacy called to say that three of the four monthly prescriptions that I get from them were available. (I get a few more by mail order.) The one that was not available was because the prescription had expired, so they had faxed the doctor but he hadn't responded. I waited a week, then called back. They said he still hadn't responded, but they'd do it again. The next day I called again, and he still hadn't responded, so I called the doctor's office. The first person I spoke to said they had called it in on December 15, which didn't sound right, but whatever. So I called the pharmacy back. No, they didn't get a new prescription on December 15, the last one was in August. Called dr. back again, spoke to a different person, and she said nothing about December 15, and that they had not received any requests from the pharmacy, and I should really call them directly because pharmacies often say they faxed requests when they really didn't. But she agreed to call it in, which she did, and I will pick up my drugs today. I don't know who was lying and who was mistaken, but I hate making phone calls!

Seems like maybe I'm just trying to make conversation here...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 20 Jan, 2015 11:07 am

Yesterday I had a nerve test to see if it's the spinal stenosis (narrowing) that is causing my foot pain. It's so annoying! It's in my left big toe, ToeToe, who is my favorite digit. It feels like electrical shock, right at the base of ToeToe, and it's constant, but with surges. So I had the test, which consisted of small jolts of electricity up and down my legs and then the insertion of tiny needles in some of the same places. The needles hurt less than the shocks, but none of it was too bad. He said it shows a blockage at L5, and that MIGHT be causing the foot thing, or it could lead to peripheral neuropathy, which is basically what I think the foot pain is. So now I will see the spine doctor again and he will tell me if I need surgery or just another prescription, which causes weight gain a vast majority of the time. (An average of 35 pounds.) I'd seriously rather have surgery, if there was a guarantee that it would work and not cause further problems.

I'm really glad this life isn't all there is!

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 01:29 pm

Nerve pain is not fun. My protruding disc from a few years ago gave me a tiny perspective on why someone might choose euthanasia when they have debilitating pain and little hope of fixing it. I never got there myself, fortunately, but it was not pleasant at all.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 02 Jun, 2015 09:55 am

I don't think I followed up and said what the ultimate result of $1000 or more spent on the MRI and the spine doctor, AFTER my excellent insurance paid their part, was. At my last visit, he told me he could try a test injection and see how it felt after six hours, the exact same thing I'd already had twice, in two different areas. I totally lost confidence in him at that time, maybe because it hurt my feelings that he didn't remember me after all we'd been through together. Nothing has changed with my back or my hip or my knees or my Toe Toe, and I'm not getting any younger...or thinner, which I'm sure is the only thing that would help at this point.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 02 Jun, 2015 10:58 am

My family practice doctor is great at names and details of people. I'd always assumed he knew who he was about to go see and had a chart and so was able to fake it (though really well). Then one day I was at the clinic for some tests, not to see him that day. Bumped into him in the hall and he knew everything. Me, my family, my job, all that good stuff. It is not something I could manage, I don't think.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 02 Jun, 2015 02:11 pm

I'm pretty good at that kind of stuff, and I often surprise people with it. I always play along, even when I know they've just looked at my chart. That was what was so weird about the spine doctor, he had my chart right in front of him and STILL didn't know what he'd already done to me.

Funny, I expected that a spine doctor would try to push surgery, but he definitely didn't. He also didn't give me any prescriptions, and I thought since he's also "pain management," he'd be offering legal marijuana or something.

Return to “Main Forum”