Dumb things I've done

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Dumb things I've done

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 09:49 am

Every once in a while I just have to laugh at myself, because if I didn't I'd cry. Yesterday I had one of those experiences. We have to send out letters every year to all the students in our school who are not English-only, which also means, in general, anyone who has anyone who speaks another language in the home. For my school, it's about 300 students out of 625. The principal wrote all the kids' names on the letters, and I printed labels, which gave me problems because the printer is slightly off kilter, so what should print on regular Avery labels doesn't quite work. Lilcis, if you remember her, helped me get that done. That was Monday. Tuesday the principal wasn't here, so I started stuffing envelopes very systematically, making sure the right letter went with the right labeled envelope. About halfway through, I remembered from last year that we have to make copies of the letters to put in the student files. Did I feel dumb? You betcha! But I found the bright side: my first attempt at the list had a lot of duplicates on it, so we printed a lot more of the letters than we needed, so I just rewrote the names until I ran out. It only took me an extra couple of hours, but would have been much worse if I'd taken each letter out of the envelope, copied it, and stuffed it back in.

Either way, I hope that's the dumbest thing I do this week, but there are no guarantees.

Momma Snider

Re: Dumb things I've done

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 09:50 pm

I did another one tonight. I accidentally deleted everything on our DVR. But there's a bright side to this one, too: I've been thinking I wanted to look into The Hopper, because sometimes we're recording two things and can't watch a third, but didn't want to lose everything on the DVR when we switch. But now I've done it, so we might as well!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 17 Oct, 2013 01:34 am

We finally got fed up with Comcast about a year ago and switched to Dish (which I'd subscribed to years ago). The final straw for me was a night that our cable went out yet again for the umpteenth time. My cable and telephone service were out too, so I couldn't really do anything I needed to do online. "I'll watch TV! I know the cable is out, but I have a DVR loaded with stuff I can watch!" At which point I discovered that the DVR on a Comcast player will not work if it cannot connect back to the office to make sure you've service is up to date or whatever. I was not pleased. At all. So so now we have Dish, which goes out much less often than Comcast, and even if I were to cut the coax I'm pretty sure I could still watch DVR, though I don't care to test that hypothesis.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 18 Oct, 2013 10:46 am

I'm happy with Dish. Even when I think we're spending too much money on it, I have to remember that this is our entertainment budget. We almost never go to movies (once a year, if that) and never to concerts or plays or fairs or festivals or any of that, so the $93 we'll be paying now, with The Hopper, is not much compared to what we could be spending. Turns out we have to have one of the highest levels of service in order to get the BYU channel, and we also need Sirius radio, because we play the fun game almost every night where Rocky flips channels and Chris and I and whoever else is there have to guess who is singing or screeching or caterwauling, depending on what station he lands on. He plays, too, and Chris' first guess for the 40's is always Artie Shaw, and he says, "Artie Shaw, 40s on 4" in an old-timey voice. Every day. We do not change things up at our house.

It's kind of a waste for us to have two receivers, since we never hardly ever watch TV in our room, but just in case I ever do want to, it's there.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 01 Nov, 2013 03:12 pm

Ha ha! I did another dumb thing! I had a flu shot on Wednesday. When I was getting dressed, I remembered and checked to make sure my sleeve would roll up properly, but when I sat down to get the shot, it wouldn't come anywhere near. I thought maybe my arms had swollen or something, so I had to pull the top of my blouse down from the top, baring my whole shoulder. After I got home, I noticed that (duh) there were buttons on the cuff that could have been unbuttoned. Life is an adventure!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 04:04 pm

As far as I know, nothing dumb has been perpetrated by myself today. But the day is still young. I did do a mean thing Saturday night, though, and I always feel bad when I hurt someone's feelings. We were at the Road Shows, sitting near the back, and our ward went first. We couldn't hear a word any of them said. It was really annoying me, and it didn't help that the family in front of us were up and down and talking in full voice and climbing over each other, and not just the kids. I finally said, "I'm going to stand up. I can't stand this." I was really far more annoyed at the kids in the ward for not speaking up than I was at this family, but she thought I was talking to her. She said, "I'm so sorry!" and I told her it was okay, and patted her arm as I passed, and I hope she got over any hurt feelings she might have had, especially since she was so nice to apologize instead of getting huffy.

And I couldn't hear much better standing closer to the stage, anyway. The ward that won (my sister's) had actually blocked the whole skit so that whoever was speaking was always right next to a microphone. Something to remember for next time.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 12:36 pm

This is a new one, even for me. I was sound asleep when the alarm went off this morning, which is unusual, so I glanced at the clock and hit snooze, which is also unusual. After about two minutes, it dawned on me that the clock said 7:05, not 6:05. I have to be at work at 7:00! So I jumped out of bed, but it was slowly dawning on me that it was still not fully light, so it couldn't be 7, and the bathroom clock said 6:08 or something. So apparently last night or the night before I had set the clock AND THE ALARM an hour ahead. How? Why? We may never know. I'm just glad I did both, so I wasn't late. Because that's my nightmare.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 06:10 pm

I have a history of doing odd things in my sleep. Like having entire conversations while making a sandwich and eating it. Changing a clock? Pfft!
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 14 Nov, 2013 09:40 am

I have a friend who cooks and eats in the middle of the night and only knows because she finds the dirty dishes in the morning. But that's only on the nights she takes Ambien. She takes a whole one every other night. I take it, too, but a half every night, so I don't usually do anything too crazy. But I have learned that I need to read my scriptures before it kicks in, if I want to retain anything.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 07 Feb, 2014 11:33 am

I guess I'm the only one who ever does dumb things around here. Today I found a silly one. I wrote a check to close our Student Council checking account, because I'm tired of dealing with the red tape that gets stickier every year. All the money will now go through the District Office. Anyway, the check I wrote was supposed to be for $4920, but I wrote it for $4290, and when I got the statement, I couldn't figure out where the extra $630 came from. I learned a long time ago that if the difference is a multiple of 9, it's probably a transposition of numbers, but I didn't think of that. I thought it was more likely that I'd made a deposit that I'd forgotten to record, but I couldn't find that, either. I had to call the bank. The guy saw the mistake right away, and was nice about it, but I was embarrassed. I'm not a rookie, you know, but that was a rookie mistake.

Or maybe a mistake of old age.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 07 Feb, 2014 07:07 pm

Yeah, you're not the only one who does dumb things. You're the only one who admits them. :P

As for the transposition error - in my days of accounting, I saw them all the time. All. The. Time. So many people do them it's not even funny. So really, don't feel bad. :)

My dumb things? Yeah, I can't think of any only because I have a very very boring life. :P
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Return to “Main Forum”