Bake Me to Church

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

mistytsim

Bake Me to Church

Postby mistytsim » Thu 07 May, 2015 04:29 pm

Remember when we used to come here, like, ALL THE TIME?

Let us all discuss the most recent Snide Remarks!

http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/bake-me-to-church/
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

Momma Snider

Re: Bake Me to Church

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 07 May, 2015 04:49 pm

That's a very good idea! I do remember when we all used to come here, and now it's a lonely place.

Benny

Postby Benny » Thu 07 May, 2015 09:47 pm

Yay Snide Remarks!
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 07 May, 2015 11:37 pm

Shocked I remember my login! I find that his site is not conducive to using my phone to access.

I'm sympathetic to the small business owner that is opposed to baking the cake. So yell at me. And I feel the recent six figure judgement against the baker who refused to bake said cake was outrageous. I read a recent article that compared cake baking to forcing a Republican speech writer to write a speech for a Democrat, or vice versa. Speech writers also take money to exercise their craft, but no one would think to sue them for refusing to provide their services.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 08 May, 2015 09:40 am

I think a business owner should be able to do whatever he or she wants, especially a small business. From the other side, I also don't understand why someone would insist on having someone bake their cake who didn't want to do it, although I'd take either side for $800k.

The main point I took from it, though, was the whole thing about doing something un-Christlike in the name of Christianity. It goes way beyond the cake case, and I actually think the cake thing is one of the less-hateful, depending on how it was handled. The times, they are a changin', but we won't change our own beliefs in what's right and what's wrong. I don't think acceptance of a person indicates acceptance of their behaviors.

Let's see if I can say this part right. I think of the story of the cooking of the frog, whyever anyone would want to do that. If you put him in hot water, he'll jump right out. But if you start with cool water and gradually heat it, he gets comfortable and "accepts" it and you can cook him. Yuck. The moral is that sin can creep up on us, and we come to accept it. I've seen where people have related that to this cake situation. BUT I think that story should be applied to ourselves, not others. I personally need to be careful not to get close to any line I don't want to cross, not even dabble in what could become sin,

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Fri 08 May, 2015 01:35 pm

WHO ARE ALL OF THESE JERKS?!
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 08 May, 2015 02:04 pm

You'd remember us if you'd come here once in a while, InO!

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:30 pm

I absolutely believe that an individual should have the right to discriminate against anyone he or she wants to. I am a firm believer that part of being an American is the right to be as much of an a-hole as you want to be.

That said, I am not entirely sure I believe the same rights apply to businesses. Businesses are regulated and licensed by the government. Businesses benefit from government infrastructure like roads, utilities, etc. (which is what Barack Obama ACTUALLY meant with his dumb "you didn't build that" gaffe in the last election). So I think it might be reasonable for the government to be able to put requirements (such as anti-discrimination rules) on businesses.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 12 May, 2015 12:58 pm

Sadly when I stopped visiting this board regularly I also stopped reading Snide Remarks. So this prompted a fun catching-up session for me! I'm not sure how I missed Eric's announcement given the friends we have in common on Facebook except that I guess I'm not on there much either?

This has been an interesting year, as many of my friends and family members have "come out." I'm not really sure how to put my thoughts into words, except to say I'm proud of their bravery and happy that there is more acceptance and support these days. I can't imagine having to suppress who I am and live that way. Still, it's always little weird to make the adjustment in my head from "straight person" to "gay person."

It's also hard to reconcile what I've been taught with what I believe. I'm grateful that there are talented people like Eric who can express their thoughts much more eloquently which I can then share. So thanks. :D
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 12 May, 2015 11:29 pm

We all benefit (business, individuals, non profits including churches) from government infrastructure like roads, utilities, etc. Many more people would be up in arms if that was a reason to impose regulation.

I am sympathetic to the idea that a business is subject to regulation by virtue of being licensed to conduct business in the city. I also think it is foolish to insist on being provided a good or service by a specific business whose owners or management do not want to provide that good or service for whatever reason.

Where is the line drawn? If I open a software consulting company, with a place of business and the appropriate licenses, should I be treated any differently than if I just work out of my home and do not accept public traffic, even though in both cases I am providing an identical service? Is the line between "free citizen" and "regulated business" black & white or is it fuzzy with shades of gray?

Note: My "where is the line drawn" query is not meant as a slippery slope argument. It's an honest questioning of the situations that prohibit one from exercising their a-hole rights.

I use a web hosting provider that is adamantly pro free speech, including expression of points of view that they do not endorse. Say white supremacy (which is not an actual example as far as I know but just one that came to mind). They do not have to endorse white supremacy to protect their right to express themselves. They also don't have to profit from the objectionable speech, so they will donate the revenue from that person's account to a group they do endorse who works to counter the objectionable speech. I find it an interesting take on dealing with a-holes.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 May, 2015 10:16 am

To me, the most unusual thing about Eric's announcement is that he also made it clear that he's active in the Church and is keeping the commandments, including the law of chastity. He didn't pound on that key, but he did make it clear. And some people are so sad for him that he "can't" have sex. You know what? Neither can my two daughters, who are 32 and 34, because they choose to keep that commandment, and my 39yo son, because he is divorced. (My 88yo stepmother doesn't either, because my dad is dead, but ewwww to that anyway. :) )

The point is, Eric has learned that keeping the commandments makes him happy, which is a lesson we could all use.

One thing I could never quite reconcile is the people who are so anti-gay but don't see anything wrong with casual sex between males and females. That's what I don't get.

And now that I've traumatized everyone by saying "sex" twice in one post, I will go away for a while.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 13 May, 2015 03:10 pm

LOL! Don't you go anywhere Momma, or we won't have anyone left on this board!

I never understood the discussion about gay marriage being against the "sanctity of marriage", when so many of the people screaming it had pre-marital sex, extra-marital sex, etc.

Good for Eric for going public, I hope it hasn't been met with hatefulness.

And on the actual topic, yeah, if they aren't supposed to discriminate based on age, race, gender, etc, how do cake makers get away with not baking a cake for a gay wedding? But, on the flip side, if they don't want to sell you a cake, why would you want to give them your hard earned bucks? Just seems like a bad financial practice to exclude a group of people and turn away business.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Sat 16 May, 2015 10:07 pm

I applaud Eric for being faithful. I kind of feel sheepish for having a crush on him during the BYU/Daily Universe days. All the good guys seem to be gay anyway nowadays.

On the cake thing I'm kind of divided and still figuring out my own feelings on the issue. I see both sides considering my religion and life experience.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

KMD

Postby KMD » Sun 17 May, 2015 08:14 am

Don't feel bad, I think we've all crushed on Eric at one time or another (well, not Momma and Jeff...), he's just so darned witty and funny!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Main Forum”