A brief history of Eric D. Snider Message Boards

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Ryan Reeder

A brief history of Eric D. Snider Message Boards

Postby Ryan Reeder » Wed 14 Aug, 2002 03:58 am

Since Eric doesn't want us to ever mention EZBoard again, I'll talk about it. I could have made this post in the last thread, but hey, this gives me a chance to start my very own first new thread here. And what better thing to talk about than a review of the past:

Our story probably should begin in 1997. We could certainly go back further, but we don't need to. During winter semester 1997, Eric wrote a few humor columns for the BYU Daily Universe readership. These proved popular enough that, in the fall of 1997, he was invited to write a weekly column for the campus newspaper. These continued, with a hiatus during summer term 1998, until February 1999, when, due to a falling-out with the newspaper management and other officials, Eric chose to stop writing for the Daily Universe.

In the meantime, however, Eric acquired a number of fans among his readers. He set up his own website, ericdsnider.com, and on two or three occasions invited fans to meet him at a specific time in a chat room. In one of these sessions, someone--it may have been benwalser, if I recall correctly, brought up the idea of a message board for Snide Remarks fans and readers. Eric may have indicated that he had already thought somewhat about it. At any rate, the germ that was to become this board was planted.

However, because Eric discontinued writing Snide Remarks, the idea of a message board became a moot issue for a time. Then, in August 1999, Eric announced that he would begin writing Snide Remarks for the Provo's newspaper, the Daily Herald. His first column, "Education Weak"http://www.ericdsnider.com/view.php?srkey=227 appeared Friday, August 20, 1999--though there had been a few Snide Remarks type columns preceding it.

The next evening, August 21, 1999, the first of what would become four Snide Remarks message boards was created, as a Yahoo! Club. Though Yahoo! has since renamed it as a "group", this forum still exists.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snideremarks/
Not counting an automatic welcome message generated by Yahoo!, the first message was posted by his brother, Jeff Snider. It reads as follows:

Date: Sun Aug 22, 1999 1:21 am
Subject: Hooray for Snide Remarks!

Finally, after months of waiting, Snide Remarks is back, and I couldn't be
happier. In fact, I'd say I'm tickled pink!

(The first Snide Remarks post).

This board remained in official use for a little over eight months, garnering all of 626 messages (though three posts have been made since its demise). Then, on May 1, 2000, Eric made the following announcement:

Date: Mon May 1, 2000 1:27 am
Subject: It's time to move!

My Web site now has its own bulletin board, to be
used instead of this one. The Yahoo! club has served
its purpose (and still may be used for scheduled
online chats), but for posting messages, the new place
to be is
here:<br><br><a href=http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb1081955
target=new>http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb1081955</a><br><br>You can
also link to the board from various places on
my site, and you can link BACK to my site from the
board. (So even though, technically, the message board
is not on ericdsnider.com, it might as well
be.)<br><br>Enjoy!<br><br>Eric

Unfortunately, the insidetheweb forum, in use from May 1, 2000 to about Feb 22, 2001, no longer exists. Because it was being shut down, a third site was initiated, the EZBoard already referred to. http://pub54.ezboard.com/fericdsniderfrm1
It was in use longer than the other two sites combined, from about February 22, 2001 to August 13, 2002, officially. Alas, the EZBoard had a limited number of posts, so that all posts prior to December 3, 2001 (currently) have also been lost, (except for those recovered by PyroFalkon).

Now a new chapter in the Snide Remarks message board begins to unfold. This fourth, and possibly final, board was created by Eric's brother, Jeff Snider so that the board functions as a part of the newly revamped ericdsnider.com (which had heretofore as its most drastic overhaul, a change in the photograph of Eric used on the site). The board was announced to the general message board member as a consequence of new interstitials approximately a week before its official release. Thanks to Jeff for his creation of the board, our board. Thanks to Eric for continuing to dispense homilies of wisdom mingled with comedy (or comedy mingled with wisdom) (or whatever) giving the board a reason for existence.

We have been kicked out of the frying-pan into the fire, out of the fire into the middle of the floor, and here we are and here we will stay. God has shown me that this is the spot to locate His people, and here is where they will prosper.

--Brigham Young (Millenium Star, 11, Nov. 15, 1850, p. 337).

TVGM

Postby TVGM » Wed 14 Aug, 2002 07:45 am

Thank you Ryan, that was most enlightening. I didn't join until Message Board #2, which was just after I had bought a computer, so it's been most entertaining to go back to the original MB and read the very first messages.

moki

Postby moki » Wed 21 Aug, 2002 09:07 am

boooooring....

Donnie Osmand

Postby Donnie Osmand » Wed 21 Aug, 2002 09:58 am

Wow...

That is very interesting!!!

I'm a mormon!!!

moki

Postby moki » Wed 21 Aug, 2002 10:02 am

mormon or moron?

or are they the same?

Momma Snider

Re: A brief history of Eric D. Snider Message Boards

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:31 pm

Remember this from way back on page 70 something? Time flies when you're old. I really miss having so many visitors and their random comments. People used to get in trouble for having personal conversations here, because it jammed the threads. Now I usually have personal conversations all by myself.

SDR

Re: A brief history of Eric D. Snider Message Boards

Postby SDR » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:14 pm

And sadly, none of the prior incarnations of the board exist. They've all either closed, changed ownership, or reached some sort of age that they were purged (in the case of Yahoo).

Return to “Main Forum”