And now, for something completely different...

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Jersey Girl

Re: And now, for something completely different...

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:43 pm

Wow that place does not look appealing no matter how it was staged. Is that a microwave lying on the kitchen floor? I think the best idea for that house is just tearing it down and building a nicer home on it.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:37 pm

I thought I saw the microwave sitting where the oven/stove should be, sitting on top of a glass topped table? I think?

Anyone who looks at this and realizes it sold for under half that price not so long ago is going to have a very hard time coughing up the asking price. Or even if they don't see the previous sales price.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 01:52 am

She has worked hard, but so far all looks cosmetic, really. And the furniture and art appear to just be for staging. The back of the house (kitchen and bathroom) slopes down, as does the ceiling in the kitchen. My dad said it was because ol' One-Eyed Joe is the one who built that part. The living room and front bedroom were added on a few years after the first part. You can see in the dining table picture the built-in glass cabinet for china and glasses -- that used to be the front window . and the door next to it was the front door. The whole house is built of adobe blocks. One thing that makes me sad is that she took out the built-in bookcases in the living room in the corner to the left of the front door and window. My great-grandpa built those. I notice not a single book or bookcase anywhere in the house. But I'm totally glad I took the mantle down that my dad built. It doesn't look quite right above my fireplace, but I like it.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 08:48 pm

Her photos aren't as bad as a lot of real estate ones I've seen, but if all that furniture is there for staging, she didn't do a very good job. It looks cluttered and messy and the furniture should have been laid out better if that's their only purpose in being there.

Anyway, not my problem.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:35 pm

First day of school. I started back to work last Monday, and was almost but not quite ready for today, but it went okay. I'm feeling a little anxious about getting everything done, but only because I'll be out most of next week, going to Utah to celebrate Jeff's graduation and Eric's birthday. It will be fine, though. And if I really retire at the end of the 2017-18 school year, I only have to do three more first days of school!

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:46 pm

Sandee is at her new school. Monday the 18th is back to school night, and Tuesday is just for the students starting their first year at the middle school. The 20th is when everyone comes back. Still, it's a new school, so all her classroom organization is in progress.

KMD

Postby KMD » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:53 am

Ah, so it's back to school that brings everyone back to the board...

My son starts school Monday, and we will be living out of a hotel.

We saw a house we like last week, and we're putting in a bid on it Monday morning as well. Pray/cross your fingers that this is the one!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 08:36 pm

Have you heard back on your bid yet? And how is school going?

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 04:45 pm

Our bid was rejected. They already had a bid from someone else, and had been working a deal with them all week when we made our bid. So, we missed out. We've looked at a couple more houses since then, none that will work for us.

But school is going very well! My kid is loving it, happy as a clam.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:16 pm

Then truly everything is great!

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 11:58 pm

SDR is correct, so long as my kid is happy at school, everything else I can deal with. Just, keep that in mind when you read the ramblings below.

We found another house we really loved. It was a bit out of our price range, but our loan lady said we could easily afford it, and once I started crunching numbers I saw she was right. We put a bid in, low, they countered, we countered, etc, until finally they accepted the bid. Our realtor drew up the contract with the final price on it, got us to sign it right before we went out of town for the Labor Day holiday, and then delivered it to the seller's agent. She gave it to the sellers, who sat on it for the long weekend, and then we heard that they've decided they don't want to sell the house at all. Something about a job not working out and a sick (grown) daughter, and they've just changed their mind and are taking it off the market. Since we had a verbal acceptance, and I knew what a tight timeframe we were working with, I had already scheduled a home inspection, structural inspection, termite inspection, and gotten in touch with our movers to get them scheduled. Plus, meeting with loan officer to update all our info from the last house we were in contract on... Everything is canceled now. We are so frustrated, we decided to look for a rental instead, something we could get into quickly so we have our own beds at night, a kitchen, and my sister doesn't have to go to my house twice a day to take care of my cats. And, there's just nothing there either. Either they don't accept pets, or it's an absolute dive in Crack Den alley. Or there's one other, 1 bedroom apartment, that costs more than the house that we were afraid was out of our price range! More as in double. For one bedroom.

So, this is week 3 of living in a hotel during the week. My son wants to take violin lessons his new school is offering, which I think is fantastic, except he's supposed to practice every day, and all I can think is where? I can't imagine the hotel will want that noise of a first time player, screeching out of their rooms... And his doctor back home decided to switch his ADHD meds to something incredibly hard to find, only one pharmacy in town carries it (funny how that one pharmacy is owned by this doctor's brother...) and my family went way out of their way last week to get it filled, so I could pick it up as we hit town on Friday. And then my kid throws a huge fit over it, I cannot get him to take it. One day he spit it out all over the couch, so he didn't have much ADHD meds in him, and was an obnoxious little so-and-so all day long. I called his doctor to beg him to write me an Rx for his old med, but since these are controlled substances, he can't just call them into a pharmacy. And he's insisting on seeing my kid, and the leftover bottle of meds before he will write a new Rx. And his office is now an hour away from my son's school and my work. So I'm having to take a half day vacation, pull my kid from school, just to get back in town soon enough to make this appointment, but that isn't until Friday, we now have 2 days where he must take this new medicine. In a hotel room. I predict screaming, crying, and a spanking for the next 2 mornings...

And because all of that wasn't enough, I am now averaging 3 hours of sleep per night. It is now 1:51 AM for me, and I haven't fallen asleep yet, and frankly, I'm not tired. Something went haywire with my hormones about 2 months ago, and now I am just unable to sleep. Don't even feel the need to sleep. I think I'm peri-menopausal, but as I have no "girlie doctor" in this town, and not a chance of getting in with mine back home unless I burn more vacation time, I will just let WebMD be my guide. I don't know why they call it peri-menopausal, it should be called vampirism. I feel like I've become a member of the undead, and no longer need bother with sleep. I've troed Zzzquil and it did nothing for me. my only real problem is, again, stuck in a hotel room with 2 other people who do need their sleep. At least at home I could go down the hall to the living room, watch some TV or Netflix on my iPad. But here I'm stuck.

Sorry, I really hope I posted all this in the Whining thread, but I'm not sure anymore, the homeless, wandering undead have no care about these things...

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 12:08 am

Yuck. Sorry to hear this. But school is still good, right? Hoping the silver lining is still there.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 04:32 am

School is fantastic! He is happy, he made a friend the first day, and they are well on their way to becoming best friends. The administrator of the school is also helping out in his classroom, and the other day my son got frustrated because some other kids said a certain insect was a pill bug, anf my kid called it by it's proper name (don't aske me what that is, I always called them potato bugs) and my son knew he was right and got very frustrated. But she kept him from running off and shutting down, and everyone got a chance to voice their feelings, and in the end he didn't throw a fit and was able to accept more than one person can be right at a time. That's huge for him! She just smiled as she told me the story and said "This is what I've been trained to do." I felt so much better about bringing him here and leaving him in her hands!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 06:41 pm

SDR, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding a place to live. That just sucks. :( Glad your kid is liking school, though. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 09:47 pm

KMD not SDR. :)

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 03:43 am

Right.

I shall proceed to bash myself on the head then.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 11:45 am

I think *that* response is a tad extreme, but at least you aren't planning to surrender to jihadists for a beheading.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 06:59 pm

I didn't bash heavily. Too much of a headache for that. No blood was drawn.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 07:04 am

Phew! Good! Totally not worth drawing blood.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm all frustrated for you! I really hope you are able to find something soon. But I'm so glad this new school is working out for him. That will make it all worth it, once you have found a home and are settled in.

Please keep us updated! I am not able to check The Board at work anymore, and I haven't been posting much, but I think about you and always hope to see something from you or SDR or quid or any of the other people who don't post much anymore, either.

Return to “Main Forum”