And now, for something completely different...

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Ryan Reeder

And now, for something completely different...

Postby Ryan Reeder » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 12:45 am

This is just an idea I had. I experimented a couple of times with throwing in completely random comments in VT's thread. I just saw buicklife doing what appeared to be the same thing in another thread. So I'm creating a thread specifically for this purpose.

So it's kind of a cross between a game (chain) thread and a regular thread. Talk about anything you want, comment on the current subject if you want, but you're encouraged to change the subject at any time and to completely random topics.

So, we'll see if there's a market for this type of thing.

mistytsim

Postby mistytsim » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 01:36 am

And how would this be any different than any other thread on this board? Is this the one where I can't come in and complain about being on topic?

Good thing I don't have deleting rights here... Any post not on topic?! Baleted!

And how about them Reds? Remember when they won the Series in the early 90's? Man, that was great.
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

petullant

Postby petullant » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 01:43 am

Baseball!

I just got back (as in *just* got back) from Montreal where I went to for the sole reason of seeing the braves play there (Maddux was pitching). Friday, I'm driving to Atlanta *just* to see a game. I just might be an addict.

I definitely am tired.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:33 am

As far as I can tell, it's not different from anything else. Just this time, we admit it, say it up front.

And I just lost like 50 consecutive times on a free batting game that came with a cereal box--which was the only time I got a cereal box, because it was on sale for under 10 cents an ounce, which I figure is a rule of thumb as far as purchasing cereal goes.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 06:09 am

It was actually in a box and not a bag? That IS amazing.

Speaking of cereals...which is your favorite? My personal favorite is Lucky Charms followed by Frosted Mini Wheats.

I'm also trying to find a great makeup brush cleaner. M.A.C. has a great one but I hate the smell. I think of pollution when I smell it. It's like walking into a nail place.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:16 am

Ryan, were you playing "Backyard Baseball"? My boys got that in their cereal and they win every game--one game was like 60 to 3. I should send them over and show you how to play. Unfortunately, my 4-year-old boy (who tends to repeat things he hears) now goes around yelling "We need a batter, not a broken ladder!" He also calls himself Pablo (the heavy hitter on the game).

Zesdy--I've been eating lots of Frosted Mini Wheats lately. They are high in fiber.

I love to ramble on about things and change topics frequently and without warning or clear connection between thoughts.

I have 4 sewing machines.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:29 am

4 SEWING MACHINES?!?!?!? Is this where you are going to tell us that you actually iron your clothes, your husband's clothes and your children's clothes too? Do you? Nevermind, I don't want to know. It would make me feel guilty for throwing mine in the dryer.

I guess this wouldn't be a good time to mention that we have 8 computers in our home.

By the way, does anyone know what Loprox is used for?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:14 am

I'm planning to have seven Christmas trees this year. Is that excessive? And I had a terrible day yesterday, but there were no mean parents, so maybe it wasn't so bad. And maybe today will be better.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:23 am

Why seven? Do you have that many ornaments to hang? That would be really lovely though. I'm all for excessive holiday decoration. And I hope your day is better today. I had a crappy (can I say that?) day yesteday as well, but today I'm going visiting teaching and our lesson relates to my husband's recent hospital stay so I get to drone on and on about that three different times today.

Oh, I just love this thread.

My mother has 9 phones in her house--four in one room! And most of them are landlines (not cordless). And they have like 25 clocks (and not a one of them digital).

You know what I just realized? I have a need to count things. Maybe I should change my board name to "The Count" and then I could have lightning strike every time I counted something. Yes, I watched a lot of Sesame Street growing up.

Man, I could go on and on.

BeeDub

Postby BeeDub » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:31 am

Sesame Street: the only show where two men live together with no women, only a "rubber duckie," and no one bats an eye.
You can lead people to truth, but you can't make them understand it: the story of my childhood, as seen from the present.
-Bill Watterson

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:45 am

We're also taught to laugh at people living in trash cans. Poor Oscar...no wonder he's always grouchy. Don't people know how loud knocking on a metal trash lid can be? I swear, I wanted to kill the obnoxious neighbor kid when he did it REPEATEDLY and EARLY one morning.

I finally found what Loprox is used for...fungal infections. I guess my friend is a "fun guy." I know...bad biology joke.

TVGM

Postby TVGM » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:48 am

"And no one bats an eye"? Are you kidding? Do you remember the debacle about the gay agenda on Sesame Street? How soon we forget....

And one year my dad bought a Christmas tree decorated with red, white, and blue lights and had only military patches as ornaments. It was awesome. It's still in the garage.

QaPlaHombre

Postby QaPlaHombre » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:52 am

Telling a woman that men are pigs and slimeballs by quoting from act II of "Much Ado About Nothing" (the Hey Nonny Nonny song, to be precise) is a really, really good way to score points with them. Free advice for any of the mencose on the board.
__TTERE_ S__NES __T_ TE _

THING

Susannah

Ooo, I'm good at off topic!

Postby Susannah » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:21 am

Wow, the guys in "Much Ado About Nothing" at the Utah Shakespearean Festival are really attractive.

But I liked David Ivers better in "Servant of Two Masters".

I've been in the mood to watch Zoolander all week but my best friend, who I would watch a movie with, hates that movie. Dang her.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:29 am

I have one Christmas tree with all our collected ornaments in the family room. (My sister and I had an ornament party every year for about 15 years, where everyone brought 12 handmade ornaments and went home with 12 assorted ones. Kind of like the cookie parties that people have, except you don't eat all the goods on the way home and end up showing your family an empty plate.) Then I have a dignified tree in the living room, where it can be seen from the street. There's a fiber optic tree at the top of the stairs, and a small tree with all the heart decorations on it in the corner of the family room, and a small tree in the entry with angels on it. Then there's a tiny tree with miniature ornaments and a Victorian village underneath it at the bottom of the stairs. And this year I'm putting one in the dining room with pink and gold ornaments, to match the wallpaper. (I love Christmas!)

petullant

Postby petullant » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 12:54 pm

I'm really excited because this is the first year that I'll have my OWN christmas tree. I don't think I could handle seven though - hokey. I'm also going to put up christmas stockings for my dog, Flannery, and I. Plus, I was thinking of putting up a third one and then putting the name of a crush I have on it. Like Mo Rocca. I think Moe would love christmas at my place.

As far as cereals go, I'm down with the Post brands - blueberry morning and whatever their cranberry one is. The idea of dried cereal fruit usually strikes the fear of Tony The Tiger into my bones but I really like those.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 01:32 pm

I was watching "I Love 1976" on VH1 the other day, and Moe Rocca was talking about the old Oscar Mayer commercials. He said, "There are certain words that, after you say them for a while, just aren't funny anymore. 'Wiener' is not one of them." Funny guy.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Hass

Postby Hass » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 01:35 pm

I used to love cereal until I went to the grocery story yesterday and learned I would have to pay $3.09 for the privilege of taking a gallon of milk home with me. Not to mention that a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch costs around five bucks. What's with that!? Eight dollars for breakfast...

I really love fall because the leaves are so pretty. I just moved to New England and I haven't been this excited about the seasons changing since I was in elementary school--and then it was just because there was the tantalizing possibility of snow days once winter started.

Susannah

Postby Susannah » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 01:47 pm

I like the bagged cereal because it has more in it :D

Why is it called "Navy NCIS" when it means "Navy Naval Criminal Investigative Service" Navy Naval? Hahaha. But I am excited for it. That one episode of JAG I saw was pretty cool, and I love CSI, so a mix will rock.

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Thu 18 Sep, 2003 02:03 pm

It was "Home Run Showdown." All it is is pressing the spacebar to make your player hit the ball. That's it. By 5:00, I finally won a game.

Normally milk around here is 3 gallons for $5. It's almost always a loss leader at a Smith's, Fred Meyer's, or Albertson's. A 32 oz. bag of cereal can go for $2.99. Which is why I never got a box until it was 24 oz. for $2 or something. It was raisin bran. Post. Plus a CD.

Can't you people ever stay off topic?

Nah, there seems to be a kind of energy from switching topics randomly. Kinda cool. Plus useful if you want to just say something, but it's not worth creating an entire thread for it, because you don't really expect a response.

Have I said one thing off topic in this whole post? Dang.

On media recommendations, I looked up Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video. Kinda interesting. Check it out here: http://www.nme.com/features/104451.htm

Have you ever played on Mapquest like you're flying all around the country using the aerial maps? You can use up hours doing that. Or maybe just me.

I feel like I should comment on Arnold Schwarzaneggar. But I don't have much to say.

Return to “Main Forum”