And now, for something completely different...

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: And now, for something completely different...

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 02:46 pm

Dang! I forgot all about this, and now it's too late to order a tote bag for my sister! Maybe year after next, when I have her name again.

But what I came here to say is that yesterday an old friend posted a link on Facebook to an article about her great-uncle and his wife, who were married 65 years and then died on the same day, even though they were in separate nursing homes and the husband didn't know his wife had died earlier in the day. So sweet, but one of the worst newspaper articles I'd ever read, as far as mechanics. The funniest one was that it said they were both suffering from "dimension."

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 03:24 pm

Maybe by saying they were suffering from dimension they just meant the two of them were really fat. "I'm not fat, I'm suffering from dimension you insensitive clod!"

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 04:18 pm

Maybe that's it. It also said something along the lines of "they suffered from a stroke." I wondered how one stroke got both of them.

We also have a couple in our ward whose son-in-law and two grandchildren and their spouses were in a plane that disappeared somewhere in Idaho, and I don't know if it's been found yet, or if they're safe or anything. But the newspaper article about them said that their Mormon church was "paying for their safety." If only!

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 09:25 pm

I guess if you're *really* close to someone you might both suffer from a single stroke. Though generally I would think you'd have to be conjoined twins.

Is there such a thing as conjoined triplets? Must look that up.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 09:30 pm

I asked and I searched and I received: http://askville.amazon.com/conjoined-tr ... Id=8776166

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 09:46 am

The things I never thought to wonder about! Now I'm imagining how it would feel, back in those days before ultrasounds, to give birth to a baby with three heads. So very very sad to have a stillborn baby anyway, but then the shock and horror factor added it to it is just beyond understanding.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 12:15 pm

We have turkey vultures at our school. At first they were really cool, when they'd be on the playground early in the morning, stretching out their wings to catch the sun. But now they are roosting in a big tree right over the entrance, and there are about 15 of them, and they rain white poop down on the sidewalk and all unsuspecting parents and children. The kids also have to walk past that area with their lunches on the way to the outdoor eating area. So far no lunches have been bombed, but it's just a matter of time.

I called Animal Control, and there's nothing they can do. One of the custodians said he'd bring a shotgun and get rid of them, but that doesn't seem right -- although since I'm not the one who has to power wash the sidewalk every few days, I shouldn't get a vote.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 08:02 pm

At the condo complex where we moved to, we have a turtle/fish pond. There are, at a guess, at least a dozen turtles ranging from ten inches long to three inches long. Then there are the black fishes - long, as in up to two and a half feet long and around a half dozen of them. Then there's a variety of goldfishes ranging from gold to white with gold and around a couple of dozen of them. And there's a turtle egg on the land area being watched over by a big turtle. Well, at least, the turtle was watching over it today. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 08:16 pm

I love nature!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 08:22 pm

I have deer coming to eat corn that has fallen out of our bird feeder onto the ground, right off my back porch. And my parents had a black bear try to get into their basement a couple weeks ago. We used to have a neighborhood peacock, he'd just roam around like he owned the place. Liked to roost on my deck railing, right above the dryer vent to stay warm in winter. Until a bear ate him.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 09:54 am

When I see pictures of bears, or see them on TV or whatever, I always think they would like me if I met one in person. A little one, anyway. I guess I always think that about most animals, because I feel like they should be able to tell that I love them. But probably if I saw an actual bear in my actual back yard, I'd come to my senses and stay in the house.

Alligators and crocodiles are a different story. I don't feel any cuddly warm feelings for them at all. Or, more likely in my neighborhood, rattlesnakes, either. Most other animals, though, should let me pet them.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:51 am

I love nature too, and sometimes that love makes me forget that I should give nature some space. I found a mouse in the yard several years ago and I thought it was so very cute. I managed to catch it, whereupon it promptly bit me. I dropped it and then caught it again, and yet again it bit me. The nurses in urgent care where I went to get some sort of shot had a good laugh at me, and then they got to lecture me about picking up wild animals. I was about 35 years old.

A not so violent encounter occurred just a few years ago when I heard a loud cracking noise in my basement. I looked out the window and what did I see? (not popcorn popping...) A stunned blackbird. I went outside and crept up next to it. It was pretty stunned and didn't move away. I reached out and stroked its head a few times and then just sat there next to it until it gained presence of mind enough to fly away. Then I went inside and washed my hands.

I love alligators and crocs along with bears. The only nature that I don't want to pet is spiders. Spiders aren't nature, they are evil.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:33 pm

My daughter, who lives with us, has a snake named Narco and two hermit crabs named Alphonse II and (can't remember -- don't tell her) and two goldfish named Pip and Loki. She also has a gecko named Necko, but he lives at her daycare center except on long holidays. He's the fat kind, not like the Geico one, and just yesterday she had to take him to the doctor because he hasn't been eating. I didn't even know they made gecko doctors.

She also has a very soft bunny named Lord Snuggleton, but he lives at her semi-boyfriend's house because we really don't have a place for him. Well, I *could* let him live right there in the living room, but I'm not a fan of rabbit hutch smells and messes.

So sad that the mouse you were just trying to love bit you twice!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 08:24 pm

Mice can carry rabies. So can rats and squirrels. I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 08:59 pm

Driving home from dinner tonight, I saw 3 large creatures, crossing the road in front of my car. I had to hit the brakes not to hit the last one, a dawdler. Initially I thought they were big dogs, like Doberman or greyhounds, but they ended up being deer. My son was thrilled, that was the closest he's ever been to them. Now he wants to build a deer feeder in our backyard for them.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 10:18 pm

Speaking of mice, maybe you'll enjoy this: http://www.casaderobison.com/2013/12/27 ... and-mouse/

I came across an Amazon listing for a kitchenware product with a typo. It said "mouse" where it meant to say "mousse" (I hope):

When I read that this mini loaf pan was also ideal for cold treats such as pudding and mouse, I had my doubts. My apologies to the writer of the description text! This mini loaf pan prepares mouse like you would not believe! Typically the only food type mouse I’ve heard about is the kind at the bottom of a bottle of soda pop or the kind that you find mixed in among pieces of deep fried chicken. Those are gross. This mini loaf pan, on the other hand, allows the mouse to be cooked to perfection!

There is more to it, but that's the gist. :)

lilcis

Sniderites, I need your help!

Postby lilcis » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 06:59 pm

I have a vague memory of what I thought was a Ray Bradbury story and part of the Martian Chronicles, but I recently re-read them and this wasn't in it.

I think it was set on Mars, at an isolated gas station. The story was maybe told from a human's point of view, but maybe not.

What I remember from the story was it talking about these self driving cars that would pull into the gas station and fill up, always travelling to some destination they never reached because they had malfunctioned and their drivers were trapped inside. But they would keep going and stop for maintenance and gas as needed. Meanwhile you could still sometimes make out the face of a long-dead human pressed against the glass screaming for help.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Can someone help me find the story?

It's come into my mind a lot lately at work as we've been talking about the new safety features in cars and how we are getting closer and closer to automated driving systems.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:36 am

That is creepy. Really creepy.

I really hoped we'd have jetpacks by now, but I can see how that could go wrong, too.

It's kind of funny to read or watch some of the "futuristic" things from 50-60 years ago, so see the things they thought would have happened. One thing that often strikes me is that everyone is smoking. They foresaw jetpacks and self-driving cars, but not lung cancer.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:44 am

Momma Snider wrote:They foresaw jetpacks and self-driving cars, but not lung cancer.

Nice one, Momma!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:51 am

A little girl at my school was in a car accident on the way to school this morning. Her mom ran a red light and hit another car. ("The light turned red too fast" was the girl's description.) They took her mom to the hospital in an ambulance, and the police brought the girl to school. We asked who else was in the car, knowing that she has younger siblings, and she said they were at home asleep...a three-year-old and a toddler. Her dad was at work, and no one was home with the little ones.

Is that not every mom's nightmare? I know most of us have at least thought, "Nothing's going to happen while I'm gone for five minutes," whether we've actually acted on it or not. The trouble in this case is that it's close to a half hour round trip, with traffic, and she had to take the long way because the truck's brakes don't work. (!) She had to get her to school somehow because she's been to the district attorney with attendance issues, because usually when she misses the bus she just keeps her home. They actually skipped a D.A. appointment last year because the dad was afraid he'd be arrested if he showed up at the police station, and the mom couldn't drive because her license was suspended.

I truly feel sorry for the mom today, but there are so many things she could have done differently. The first would be to get up earlier so the girl doesn't miss the bus so often. Grandma lives nearby; she could have asked her to at least check on the kids if she wasn't back in 15 minutes or whatever, if she didn't want to ask her to bring the child to school. I also feel responsible for the whole mess, because I'm the one who reports attendance issues to the district, but I'm trying to get over that one, since it's my job.

We called the grandma and she said she'd go right over to the house, so at least everyone's okay. I don't think the mom was injured too badly, but I don't know why they took her to the hospital.

Return to “Main Forum”