Linking to a specific post in a thread

The place for suggestions, complaints, bug reports, and anything else related to this message board

Moderator: Eric's Moderator Brother

WiseNLucky

Linking to a specific post in a thread

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:31 pm

I found out a cool way to link to a specific post in a thread. This might be useful when you want to refer to a specific post but do not necessarily want to include all the stuff in that post as quotes in the post you are currently making, or when the overall thread is really big and you are referencing something in the middle. Some of you may already know how to do this but I bet there are some who have wanted to do so but didn't know how.

As an example, I will link to a post I made on the word association game thread. It is the third post down on page 483.

First step: Go to the post you want to reference and copy the entire string of url text from the address line of your browser and paste it into the post you are making. In the case of the post I'm talking about, it would look like this:

http://www.ericdsnider.com/phpbb/viewto ... start=9640

This link will take us to the top of the page we wanted but not to the specific post.

Second step: Go back to the actual post you want and hold your cursor over the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner of the post. Do not click on the quote button; instead, look at the lower left hand corner of your browser. You will see a string of characters representing the url of that particular post if you were to click the quote button. The key information is the number that appears after the "=" sign. Write down this number. In our example the number is 80121.

Third step: Edit the url string you copied into your new post to remove everything after the characters ".php?" and replace the removed information so the end of the url reads as follows: ".php?p=number#number" where number is the number you wrote down earlier. So, using our above example, the string would now look like this:

http://www.ericdsnider.com/phpbb/viewto ... 0121#80121

Try it out!
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:38 pm

There's an even easier way. Right-click the little page icon before the "Posted: Day Date Time" line at the top of the post and select "Copy Link Location" (in Firefox; similar in IE). Then paste the URL wherever you want.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:38 pm

Pssst. WnL, you can also just click the little white box to the right of your name and to the left of the "posted" at the top of the post.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:38 pm

As usual, InOregon and I think as one.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:38 pm

jinx!
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:51 pm

Okay, I'm aware that this is a really easy question, probably even a dumb question, but how do you quote part of somebody's post, along with their name? It says "Eric D. Snider (or whoever) wrote:" and then the quote. I think I did it once, but the last time I tried it, I had forgotten already. I'm sure it must use the quote button...

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm

If I wanted to quote your post, Momma, I would type

[quote="Momma Snider"]Okay, I'm aware that this is a really easy question, probably even a dumb question, but how do you quote part of somebody's post, along with their name? It says "Eric D. Snider (or whoever) wrote:" and then the quote. I think I did it once, but the last time I tried it, I had forgotten already. I'm sure it must use the quote button...[/quote]

The quotation marks around the name are important.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:21 pm

pizzocalabro wrote:As usual, InOregon and I think as one.

And you are both way cool! Thanks for the easier way.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Return to “Website Support Forum”