Virgin Digital Contest

This forum is for all the different game threads that run amok here in the Village.

Moderators: Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot

lilcis

Virgin Digital Contest

Postby lilcis » Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:59 pm

Can you identify all 74 bands?

Image here

I think I've figured out about 12!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 22 Dec, 2005 05:07 pm

That's really cool, Lilcis! I think I've got 18 so far... we should compare.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm

I spent about a half hour on it and came up with over 50. Some are pretty obscure bands I've never heard of so they may not be right. One was embarrasing because I didn't make the connection before I googled and got results for a band whose concert I attended -- and I've attended fewer than ten live concerts in my life. :oops:

I wish I could see the picture a little better. The picture is quite small and, when I tried to blow it up, I got garbage. There are things I know are significant but I can't see what they are.

Is there some reason not to share what we've come up with?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:03 pm

I don't think so, unless someone wants to work it out themselves without seeing what we've come up with. I've got 37 I think.

I feel like I need to put a ******SPOILER ALERT!******

The ones with asterisks I had to look up, haven't heard of them.

Pet Shop Boys
Guns N Roses
Smashing Pumpkins
Alice in Chains
Blur
Whitesnake
Crowded House
Talking Heads
U2
The Eagles
Gorillaz
B52's
Led Zeppelin
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beach boys
The Pixies
Blind Melon
Madonna
Nine Inch Nails
Black Flag?
Rolling Stones
Big Spoon *
The Slugs *
Matchbox 20
Cake
Dead Kennedys
The Postmen *
Dinosaur Jr *
Dancing Baptists?*
Violent Femmes? (-the scissors?)
Garbage
Korn
White Zombie
Seal
Queens of the Stone Age or Queen? (meaning the stone queen in the background crossing the street)
Blondie? (the chick blowing the bubble on the fire escape)
Warrant? (the sheriff on the right?)

I haven't put much time into it yet. What did you come up with?

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:42 am

50 cent
Alice in Chains
Armadillo (?? Is that one centerish)
B-52s
Beach Boys
Black Flag*
Blind Mellon
Blues Brothers
Bubblegum*
Cars
Cult (Is this what you were using for Dancing Baptists?)
Da Mailman*
Deep Purple
Eagles
Eels
Fairies Band*
Goldfish
Goo Goo Dolls
GTOs (??Only one?)
Guns n Roses
Iron Maiden
Jane's Addiction
Jelly Beans
Jewel (On the ground in front of the fruit stand)
King Kong
Kiss*(This is the embarrasing one - those two are kissing, is there a band with Kiss in its name?)
Led Zeppelin
Madonna
Matchbox 20
Out of Focus (You've got Blur here)
Pet Shop Boys
Plastic Monkey
Police
Prince
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rolling Stones
Rooster*
Scissor Sisters
Scorpions
Sex Pistols :oops:
Smashing Pumpkins
Spoon*
Styx
Superheroes
Talking Heads
Trash
Twisted Sister
U2
Urban Cowboy Band (??Cowboy toward the right)
Whippet*
White Snake
Zombies (??Again, only one? I think yours is better)

I left out "The" if it was appropriate so I could sort alphabetically.

* Ones I had to look up. Who knows if I made up some I thought I knew.

Alas, I searched diligently but found no Barenaked Ladies. :(
WiseNLucky

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:19 am

Wow, WNL - that's very good. The Cult - of course! And Iron Maiden & Scissor Sisters - much better.

I still stand by the Pixies instead of Fairies Band. ;)

What's a whippet? What's the golden guy on the left? What's the significance of the queen and knave in the front (thanks for the Sex Pistols, I couldn't remember the name and didn't want to go googling) - or is that a Prince? Ah. I thought the men in black suits wasn't literal enough to be Blues Brothers? Where are the GooGoo Dolls - those three chicks holding hands? What are GTO's? Where's Jane's Addiction? Where are the Scorpions and a Rooster?

Also, I think there's a band called the Lemonheads. And is that a Chihuahua on the left, and if so, is there a band?

Lilcis, is there a place to check all the answers when we're done?

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:46 pm

stephsterr wrote:Wow, WNL - that's very good. The Cult - of course! And Iron Maiden & Scissor Sisters - much better.

I still stand by the Pixies instead of Fairies Band. ;)

I agree. Also, I think you're right about White Zombie.

What's a whippet?

The little greyhound-looking dog on the lower left.

What's the golden guy on the left?

Haven't figured that one out yet.

What's the significance of the queen and knave in the front (thanks for the Sex Pistols, I couldn't remember the name and didn't want to go googling) - or is that a Prince? Ah.

Yes, Queen and Prince.

I thought the men in black suits wasn't literal enough to be Blues Brothers?

They are carrying guitars and look like brothers. I can't be sure on lots of these.

Where are the GooGoo Dolls

In the shop window on the left, at least I thought that's where they were going.

- those three chicks holding hands?

They look to me to be dressed in super hero costumes so that's what I put.

What are GTO's?

A kind of car (Pontiac). The red car in the middle of the street is a 1967 GTO. The yellow one looks like a 1970 model. Hard to tell with only partial views.

The car in front of the yellow one is definitely a Mustang but I couldn't think of or find a band that seemed to fit. So I included the Cars.

Where's Jane's Addiction?

The girl with the guy on the right near the cowboy is dressed up like Jane from Tarzan and appears to be strung out. A stretch, the picture is so small on my computer that I can't be sure. And the cowboy looks like he may be shooting up.

Where are the Scorpions

Bottom left-hand corner. One is by the cart and the other is on the cake. Good catch, that, by the way (Cake). I was insisting on icluding the wedding part and couldn't come up with anything.

and a Rooster?

Picture on the wall right over the Zombie's head.

Also, I think there's a band called the Lemonheads.

Yes there is. Good catch. I wondered about all those smiley-faced lemons.

And is that a Chihuahua on the left, and if so, is there a band?

It's a Whippet -- see above.

Lilcis, is there a place to check all the answers when we're done?

It's a contest so probably not until the contest is over. You can win some kind of computer and free music for a year. Lilcis didn't route us to the regular site (where there is a magnifying glass, by the way, but it doesn't help) because there ARE barenaked ladies there.
WiseNLucky

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:53 pm

You're very observant! I blew it up on a photo program and still missed so many of those. I think that poster is of a seal, though, balancing a ball on its nose. Just in case you're going for the prize. ;)

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:07 pm

stephsterr wrote:You're very observant! I blew it up on a photo program and still missed so many of those. I think that poster is of a seal, though, balancing a ball on its nose. Just in case you're going for the prize. ;)

I can't see it well enough.:oops: I can't get a seal out of it at all but that would make your Seal right.

Oh, I think you're right about Nine Inch Nails instead of what I thought -Styx.
WiseNLucky

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:40 am

And when you said Styx I looked for it and thought maybe that was what those things are between the queen and the cart.

And I came up with another one... I think the Black Crowes are sitting on top of the street sign above the Beach Boys.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:37 am

Looks good. I do think the thing between the queen and the cart are sticks, but I originally thought the things behind the prince's knee were sticks so I was being honest.

There's a band called Manhole (if that is one by the crosswalk) and a band called Crosswalk. There is also a band called One Tree Hill.

There is also a Main Street Band and a band called the Bus Stop Boys (the blue thing near the yellow man looks like a bus stop to me).

Some of these acts have to be pretty obscure. I'm not sure they all were intended but we have to list them for now. If we get too many, we can cut out the ones we're not sure of.

Things in the picture I can't figure out: Yellow man, man in black shirt in crosswalk with green head and maybe a boom box, colored rectangles on the building behind the cult, pictures on the wall under the two "u"s . . . .
WiseNLucky

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:22 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:Things in the picture I can't figure out: Yellow man, man in black shirt in crosswalk with green head and maybe a boom box, colored rectangles on the building behind the cult, pictures on the wall under the two "u"s . . . .

I'm zooming in on these objects... maybe the guy in the crosswalk is Radiohead. I'm not getting anything else, when I zoom in it gets blurry, I need to figure out how to sharpen it.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:23 am

stephsterr wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:Things in the picture I can't figure out: Yellow man, man in black shirt in crosswalk with green head and maybe a boom box, colored rectangles on the building behind the cult, pictures on the wall under the two "u"s . . . .

I'm zooming in on these objects... maybe the guy in the crosswalk is Radiohead. I'm not getting anything else, when I zoom in it gets blurry, I need to figure out how to sharpen it.

Radiohead sounds good. Zooming doesn't help me either.
WiseNLucky

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 29 Dec, 2005 06:50 am

Looks like we're playing by ourselves, steph. Even lilcis ran away and she started this whole thing.
WiseNLucky

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:22 am

I guess so - I'm fairly stumped, though. I just tried to go to the actual website but couldn't find it. However, I found a site where others had found stuff - someone suggested that those pictures on the building below the UU's are actually a B and 2 G's making the BeeGees. Also, instead of Jelly Beans, they think those are M&M's = Eminem. Also, MCHammer. And apparently there's a band called Yellowman.

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:53 am

Reading further, I found that the original picture was in a magazine and it was much clearer. For example, to the right of the Spoon, there are some small white patches - in the magazine one of them clearly said 311 but you can't see that on this picture.

Return to “Games”