Four truths and a lie

This forum is for all the different game threads that run amok here in the Village.

Moderators: Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot

Card

Postby Card » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 06:20 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I think I'll go way back to my childhood for this one and tell you some things about how I grew up.

1. I shared a room with two younger brothers and two younger sisters until I went into high school. We had two sets of bunkbeds and a crib, later a little youth bed. When I look at that room now, I can't imagine it. The room is about eight feet wide and maybe 15 feet long. We each had one drawer to put our clothes in and one cubby for our toys. Oh, and you had to walk through the bedroom to get to the one bathroom in the house. The summer I started high school, my dad bought part of an old house and relocated it next to our house. It had two bedrooms, nothing else, no insulation, of course no heating or cooling. In the wintertime I slept with seven blankets, each folded in half. My older brother had the other room, and he did drugs, but our parents didn't know it until he got busted, because their bedroom was in the house, and we were basically next door. I had a lot of trouble sleeping with him next door.

2. We had a dog named Henry when I was little. He was a fox terrier. After I started school, he would walk with my brother and me the mile to school, and then he'd turn around and go home. I'd like to say he met us there after school, but he didn't. One day he disappeared, and I remember standing on the hill near our house and calling him: "Here, Henry Henry Henry," which was the way we always called him. I still cry when I re-enact the calling, because he never ever came back. We always had a dog, and I loved them all, but I'll never get over his disappearance.

3. At night, during mosquito season, my mom would walk through the house before she went to bed and spray Black Flag around the ceilings with a pump spray can. Sleeping on the top bunk, I received my full share of it, but it never bothered me. The sprays today are too sweet and fragrant, but if I ever smelled that old stuff again, it would make me very nostalgic, because it meant my mom was taking care of me. Sometimes I'd kick off my covers when I heard her coming, just so she'd cover me up, because it made me feel loved, too.

4. In the summertime, once school was out, we slept outside. My dad would get old mattresses and bedsprings and bring them home, and we used them as a trampoline during the day and to sleep on at night. One time I had heard my dad telling someone that if the mountains to the southwest of us fell down, the ocean would be right there. I heard thunder that night, and I thought it was the mountains crumbling, and I was afraid the ocean was going to come through and drown us. (That tells me I was not more than five or six at the time.)

5. I got my first Barbie when I was about 8. I never had more than one or two, but my favorite aunt, who had only sons, used to make me Barbie clothes every time she sewed something for herself, which was often. I had a Barbie fur coat, lots of lacy underwear, and lots of other stuff. When I discovered the Beatles, on February 9, 1964, just before I turned 11, I quickly incorporated them into my Barbie play. Barbie always married either Paul or Ringo. John was already married, of course, and George just never appealed to me -- I mean Barbie -- that much.

Wow. There is a lie in there? Whichever one it is, it's quite the story!

I'll go with... um... #2 because it's just too sad. Poor Henry. :(

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 09:22 am

I'll guess #4.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 10:03 am

Yeah, I'm with Card, there's a lie in there? Shesh, it must be something like the dog's name or which Beatle Barbie liked!

I'll go with #5. Maybe you loved the Beatles, but Barbie prefered Davy Jones. Ah Davy!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 03:17 pm

I'll guess #1. I don't know what part of it I would even choose for the lie, because I think the real lie has already been guessed.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 11:13 pm

Which one would you have guessed, KareNin? And why?

I promise that the lie is not a really cheap one, like how many siblings I had or what brand of bug spray my mom sprayed. The whole thing is not a lie, but part that is, definitely is.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 11:24 am

No takers for #3, huh? I should have made it more elaborate.

But that's okay, because it wasn't the lie.

1. I shared a room with two younger brothers and two younger sisters until I went into high school. We had two sets of bunkbeds and a crib, later a little youth bed. When I look at that room now, I can't imagine it. The room is about eight feet wide and maybe 15 feet long. We each had one drawer to put our clothes in and one cubby for our toys. Oh, and you had to walk through the bedroom to get to the one bathroom in the house. The summer I started high school, my dad bought part of an old house and relocated it next to our house. It had two bedrooms, nothing else, no insulation, of course no heating or cooling. In the wintertime I slept with seven blankets, each folded in half. My older brother had the other room, and he did drugs, but our parents didn't know it until he got busted, because their bedroom was in the house, and we were basically next door. I had a lot of trouble sleeping with him next door.
This one is true. I enjoyed having my own room, but it kind of scares me now to think of it. The only thing that scared me then was that if I had to go to the bathroom during the night, I had to go out my door and across part of the yard and into the house.

2. We had a dog named Henry when I was little. He was a fox terrier. After I started school, he would walk with my brother and me the mile to school, and then he'd turn around and go home. I'd like to say he met us there after school, but he didn't. One day he disappeared, and I remember standing on the hill near our house and calling him: "Here, Henry Henry Henry," which was the way we always called him. I still cry when I re-enact the calling, because he never ever came back. We always had a dog, and I loved them all, but I'll never get over his disappearance.
True. Good old Henry. I can't wait to see him again.

3. At night, during mosquito season, my mom would walk through the house before she went to bed and spray Black Flag around the ceilings with a pump spray can. Sleeping on the top bunk, I received my full share of it, but it never bothered me. The sprays today are too sweet and fragrant, but if I ever smelled that old stuff again, it would make me very nostalgic, because it meant my mom was taking care of me. Sometimes I'd kick off my covers when I heard her coming, just so she'd cover me up, because it made me feel loved, too.
True. I can still remember how it felt to have the poison mist falling on me, but I guess it didn't hurt me. Or did it?

4. In the summertime, once school was out, we slept outside. My dad would get old mattresses and bedsprings and bring them home, and we used them as a trampoline during the day and to sleep on at night. One time I had heard my dad telling someone that if the mountains to the southwest of us fell down, the ocean would be right there. I heard thunder that night, and I thought it was the mountains crumbling, and I was afraid the ocean was going to come through and drown us. (That tells me I was not more than five or six at the time.)
True, and I don't think I made it clear that it was my older brother and younger brother and I who slept out there, not our parents, starting when we were four or five. And I'm not talking about a nice fenced yard, either. But Henry was with us, and it was a different world back then.

5. I got my first Barbie when I was about 8. I never had more than one or two, but my favorite aunt, who had only sons, used to make me Barbie clothes every time she sewed something for herself, which was often. I had a Barbie fur coat, lots of lacy underwear, and lots of other stuff. When I discovered the Beatles, on February 9, 1964, just before I turned 11, I quickly incorporated them into my Barbie play. Barbie always married either Paul or Ringo. John was already married, of course, and George just never appealed to me -- I mean Barbie -- that much.

The Barbie part is true, and the Beatle part is true, except I think George was my favorite for a while because I felt bad excluding him, but Barbie and the Beatles never overlapped. I played with Barbies, but once I went Beatles I never went back. Barbie couldn't have married Paul or Ringo anyway -- she was married to Ken! Duh.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 11:41 am

So, no Davy Jones love at all Momma? :D

OK, have I done this already? The KMD Sports 5t&1L.

1. My sport was volleyball. I tried out for my school's team back in the 5th grade, and fell in love with it. Being really short, people laughed at the thought of me playing, but a) I could serve and place that ball wherever I wanted it on the other side of the court. And b) OK, yes, I couldn't spike. But, being so close to the ground, I did what nobody else could do, and that was dig out a spike from the opposing team before it hit the ground. I am the reason our elementary school had to spring for knee pads. I used to slide on the floor to rescue those spikes, and come up with bloody knees so often, they were totally guilted into buying them for us. In college, I used to play on a sand court, and when my knees would get bloody, I'd just reach down, grab and handful of sand, and pack it into my wound so it would clot faster and I could keep playing. Plus, great intimidation tactic.

2. I love to run track. Again, being short, no one thinks of you for a running sport. You want nice, long legs, right? Well, short legs and lots of endurance made me perfect for the longer races, plus I could pump those little legs at double speed, giving me a nice little "finishing burst" at the finish line. I also did the long jump, mostly because none of the other girls wanted to, since it involved jumping into dirt. And my coach begged and begged me to do hurdles, but it was just a no-go. You know that hurdler's stretch, where you stick one leg in front of you, and one kind of bent to the side? Well, I'm double jointed in my hips, so I can easily do that, with both legs bent back, at the same time. And when my coach saw that, he thought I'd be perfect to run the hurdles. But, turns out I can't do that in mid-air, plus I can't jump high enough to clear those hurdles anyway.

3. A sport I wanted to play was rugby. In college some friends of mine decided to start up a rugby club, and I used to go and watch the practices, learned all the rules with them, helped them get (and keep)funding from the school for jerseys and balls and such. And I really, really wanted to play. But the guys wouldn't let me. It is a super rough sport, with lots of grabbing and pushing and kicking people with your cleats on. And the guys were afraid I'd get hurt, or get inappropriately groped in a scrum. So, between that, and the drink-ups afterwards, which I never attended, I was destined to just watch rugby from afar. I figure, if you're going to play a violent game, that's the one. It never made sense to me in some sports that hurting other players got you a foul or whatever. If the game is supposed to be competitive, then by golly, get competitive. Draw some blood, break some bones! If the other person isn't man enough to take it, then they shouldn't be out there playing!

4. In elementary school, I wanted to play basketball, but there wan't a girl's team, only a boy's team. So, I asked if I could try out for that. The coach was willing, so long as he didn't have to treat me any different from any of the guys, and that was OK with me. But, my mom wasn't. She didn't want me to be the only girl on an all guy's team. But there was one other girl who wanted to play too, so we both tried out, both made the team, and I thought it was a done deal. Then the other girl had to quit the team, and since we were back down to one girl, my mom made me quit too. I really hated that, I hate quitting something once I've committed to it. And I hated the whole gender equality thing anyway, and felt like I was striking a blow for female basketball players everywhere. ;) So, having to give that up really hurt. And I never got back to basketball, all the other kids hit multiple growth spurts after that, but I never did, so basketball was obviously never going to be the sport for me.

5. I also really enjoyed gymnastics, one place where being short was finally an advantage! The local gymnastics place was run by my aunt, so we got a great deal, that's the only way we could ever have afforded it. I have a pretty good sense of balance and tiny feet, so the balance beam was a lot of fun. I really liked the trampoline too, I mean who wouldn't? The parallel bars were kind of scary, but you get used to it after a while. But I ruled at tumbling. I was great at doing somersaults and handsprings. But, after a couple of years, all the after-school activities started piling up, and you only have time for so much, and I let this one go for art club. :S What was I thinking?

Card

Postby Card » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 03:24 pm

I'll go for #1 because... um... I guess I don't know many elementary school players who can spike very well at all.

Also, after reading this 4T1L, I am afraid of you and that you'll beat me up.

And also, I loved Davy Jones in elementary school. We used to sing "Hey, hey, we're the Monkees, people say we monkey around..." as we would walk to the pool in the summertime. And we'd do the Monkee walk. And I actually enjoy Peter Tork. That is all.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 09:59 pm

Oh, I did, indeed, go through a Davy Jones phase. Oh, my, yes. There was a contest on the radio where they took the 13th caller or whatever, and all those winners were put in a drawing to win a date with Davy Jones. I happened to get through one time, but I didn't win the date. I was in 7th grade, so I'm sure he was terribly disappointed that I wasn't the one.

Oh, and I'm guessing #4 but hoping I'm not correct, because I can't think of anything else to say right now.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 10:20 am

Where are all the other people who used to play this game when it first began? What, do they have REAL LIVES or something now? Pheh.

Boy, I have no idea. These all sound plausible to a totally non-athletic person like me, so I think I'll guess #3. I don't know anything about rugby, so logically (to me), nobody else does, either. I'm sure that's completely false, so that would make #3 true, so I'm not looking to win this round.

It's probably really #2, because even though people SAY they're double-jointed, in fact no one really is, they just have extremely flexible tendons that hyper-extend, at least according to an article I read at some point, by someone who claimed to know about these things.

Oh, I already said #3. So that's it, I guess. And don't beat up Card. I like her.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 12:18 am

I'll guess #5.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:46 am

Oh Thank You Lisapants! It was driving me crazy that no one had spotted the lie, and no one else was even trying!

1. My sport was volleyball. I tried out for my school's team back in the 5th grade, and fell in love with it. Being really short, people laughed at the thought of me playing, but a) I could serve and place that ball wherever I wanted it on the other side of the court. And b) OK, yes, I couldn't spike. But, being so close to the ground, I did what nobody else could do, and that was dig out a spike from the opposing team before it hit the ground. I am the reason our elementary school had to spring for knee pads. I used to slide on the floor to rescue those spikes, and come up with bloody knees so often, they were totally guilted into buying them for us. In college, I used to play on a sand court, and when my knees would get bloody, I'd just reach down, grab and handful of sand, and pack it into my wound so it would clot faster and I could keep playing. Plus, great intimidation tactic. So True, and yes, we did have kids who could spike at that age. There was a girl on our team who was over 6 ft already. She didn't even have to try hard to spike. Man I loved to play volleyball. Best Sport EVER! I only stopped playing because, when we went up to junior high, even though our team was undefeated the past 2 years in a row, and most of us were the reason for that, none of us made the team. Because the coach at the junior high had a daughter who played against us the year before, and we DECIMATED their team, and so she refused to put any of us on the team, even the 6 ft tall girl. Well, one girl did make the team, after her mother complained, but she was allowed to buy the uniform and pay all the fees and stuff, but was not allowed on the court once to play. :S So, I didn't play for 6 years, then when I went to college, there was a sand court in the valley, very close to my dorm, and I would play there, pick-up games, pretty much from the moment I was done with classes, until it was too dark to see the ball. I played in the snow. If I could have found a ball that glowed in the dark, and other people willing to play against, I would have continued playing after dark.

2. I love to run track. Again, being short, no one thinks of you for a running sport. You want nice, long legs, right? Well, short legs and lots of endurance made me perfect for the longer races, plus I could pump those little legs at double speed, giving me a nice little "finishing burst" at the finish line. I also did the long jump, mostly because none of the other girls wanted to, since it involved jumping into dirt. And my coach begged and begged me to do hurdles, but it was just a no-go. You know that hurdler's stretch, where you stick one leg in front of you, and one kind of bent to the side? Well, I'm double jointed in my hips, so I can easily do that, with both legs bent back, at the same time. And when my coach saw that, he thought I'd be perfect to run the hurdles. But, turns out I can't do that in mid-air, plus I can't jump high enough to clear those hurdles anyway. True. I used to love to run me some track. Until my sister started dating, and then got engaged, to our track coach, who was something like 12 years older than her, and she was just 18... That was enough embarrassment right there, that I really never wanted to run again.

3. A sport I wanted to play was rugby. In college some friends of mine decided to start up a rugby club, and I used to go and watch the practices, learned all the rules with them, helped them get (and keep)funding from the school for jerseys and balls and such. And I really, really wanted to play. But the guys wouldn't let me. It is a super rough sport, with lots of grabbing and pushing and kicking people with your cleats on. And the guys were afraid I'd get hurt, or get inappropriately groped in a scrum. So, between that, and the drink-ups afterwards, which I never attended, I was destined to just watch rugby from afar. I figure, if you're going to play a violent game, that's the one. It never made sense to me in some sports that hurting other players got you a foul or whatever. If the game is supposed to be competitive, then by golly, get competitive. Draw some blood, break some bones! If the other person isn't man enough to take it, then they shouldn't be out there playing! Also True, but please don't be afraid of me Card! I am gentle and mild-mannered. Until there is competition, then I will rip your head off, spit down your neck, lick the stump and re-apply. LOL! No, I just kind of think if you're going to play a violent sport, don't make it sissy with so much padding you can barely feel anything! And, be fierce and competitive on the field, but as soon as the game is over, it's time to be mates, hang out with the other team and get over it. And that is very much built-in to rugby, with the drink-up afterwards.

4. In elementary school, I wanted to play basketball, but there wan't a girl's team, only a boy's team. So, I asked if I could try out for that. The coach was willing, so long as he didn't have to treat me any different from any of the guys, and that was OK with me. But, my mom wasn't. She didn't want me to be the only girl on an all guy's team. But there was one other girl who wanted to play too, so we both tried out, both made the team, and I thought it was a done deal. Then the other girl had to quit the team, and since we were back down to one girl, my mom made me quit too. I really hated that, I hate quitting something once I've committed to it. And I hated the whole gender equality thing anyway, and felt like I was striking a blow for female basketball players everywhere. ;) So, having to give that up really hurt. And I never got back to basketball, all the other kids hit multiple growth spurts after that, but I never did, so basketball was obviously never going to be the sport for me. True. I don't know why I wanted to play basketball so badly, probably because people told me I couldn't because I'm a girl, therefore I MUST.

5. I also really enjoyed gymnastics, one place where being short was finally an advantage! The local gymnastics place was run by my aunt, so we got a great deal, that's the only way we could ever have afforded it. I have a pretty good sense of balance and tiny feet, so the balance beam was a lot of fun. I really liked the trampoline too, I mean who wouldn't? The parallel bars were kind of scary, but you get used to it after a while. But I ruled at tumbling. I was great at doing somersaults and handsprings. But, after a couple of years, all the after-school activities started piling up, and you only have time for so much, and I let this one go for art club. :S What was I thinking? FALSE. Not a stinkin' word of this was true. I never did gymnastics. I imagine I might have been good at it, anything we did in gym class that was gymnastics-related I did well at. But my folks didn't have money to pay for me to do anything after-school like that. The aunt who ran the gym didn't become my aunt until I was way too old to take classes, and probably wouldn't have given us a break on the price in any case. I did find out when I started dating my now husband, that HE took gymnastics from my future aunt when he was a little kid. So, most of this post was from his experiences, not mine.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:44 am

I've always been a big reader, but with little kids, it's been hard to find the time to read the books I've been interested in. I've found some time lately, though, to do some reading, so we'll do 4T1L with the books I've read recently.

1. It's been a couple years since I read Eclipse, so I reread it before the movie came out last month. I wish I hadn't, though. It made me realize just that much more how much stuff they have to leave out of the movie.

2. On our Great Road Trip of '10 at the beginning of July, we listened to Hunger Games on CD. When we got back, I borrowed the second book in the trilogy, Catching Fire, and read it in two days. I can't wait for the third book, Mockingjay, to come out in August.

3. For book club last month, I read To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time. Somehow, I missed reading it in high school. I loved it!

4. I am currently reading the 5th Fablehaven book. It's been a fun series to read, and I'm curious to see how it all turns out. I'm very close to the end, with no resolution in sight yet.

5. Also on the Great Road Trip of '10, we started listening to the first book in the Mistborn trilogy on CD. We didn't get very far into the book, but since we've been home, I checked it out of the library, and it's next on my list of things to read.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 01:16 pm

#3. I think you read it before this.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm

#5. I think it's way down on your list.

Card

Postby Card » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:11 pm

#1 - You're glad you reread it because then it reminded you about what happened in the book, and it got you so excited to be on Team Edward.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:08 pm

I'll go with #4.

I don't think you have read all 5; I think you got bored and stopped caring what happened, somewhere around book 3.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 07:17 am

#2 for me.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 02:54 pm

1. It's been a couple years since I read Eclipse, so I reread it before the movie came out last month. I wish I hadn't, though. It made me realize just that much more how much stuff they have to leave out of the movie. False. It has been a couple years since I've read Eclipse, but I didn't read it again before seeing the movie last month.

2. On our Great Road Trip of '10 at the beginning of July, we listened to Hunger Games on CD. When we got back, I borrowed the second book in the trilogy, Catching Fire, and read it in two days. I can't wait for the third book, Mockingjay, to come out in August. True. Love these books!

3. For book club last month, I read To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time. Somehow, I missed reading it in high school. I loved it! True

4. I am currently reading the 5th Fablehaven book. It's been a fun series to read, and I'm curious to see how it all turns out. I'm very close to the end, with no resolution in sight yet. True. The ending was a bit simplistic and a bit of a let down. Maybe it was just because I read it right after reading Catching Fire, but the writing and storyline seemed a little juvenile. But I guess the Fablehaven series are meant for a more juvenile audience. I still enjoyed the series, overall, though.

5. Also on the Great Road Trip of '10, we started listening to the first book in the Mistborn trilogy on CD. We didn't get very far into the book, but since we've been home, I checked it out of the library, and it's next on my list of things to read. True

OK, it's Card's turn!

Card

Postby Card » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:40 am

Okay, so I'm going to do this a little differently. Select the option that truthfully describes how you play this game. I am looking for at least 5 truths here.

1. You participate because you are afraid that someone will post their 4T1L and not have enough guessers, and it will die out, and they will feel badly.

2. You like to create 4T1L about yourself.

3. You like to read about other people's 4T1L but don't necessarily want to choose the lie or create your own.

4. You like to figure out which one is the lie, but you don't particularly care to create one about yourself.

5. You enjoy all aspects of this game.

Go.

Return to “Games”