Four truths and a lie

This forum is for all the different game threads that run amok here in the Village.

Moderators: Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot

Immortal

Four truths and a lie

Postby Immortal » Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:04 pm

This is a game that I've played before in groups as an ice-breaker, just to get everyone talking, and to know each other better. However it works quite well on message boards! The basic idea is, the first poster will say five things about themselves...four will be true, and one will be completely made up. And considering what they know about that person, everyone else needs to try to figure out which one is the lie. The first poster to catch the lie gets to go next :)

I will start:

1. I am now a Mormon, but I was raised in an Atheist/Agnostic home, and did not attend a church service of any kind until I was in college

2. I dropped out of college, and am currently a beauty school student-my mother wasn't too happy about this because I am "too smart."

3. I have been with my current boyfriend for about a year now, however at the time he asked me out I had no idea what he looked like, nor had I even heard his voice.

4. My boyfriend and I both have Aspergers Syndrome (A higher functioning form of autism)

5. In my memory, I have never had cable television

so, which one is the lie? :)

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 03:50 pm

#1?

Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 04:18 pm

Nope, number one is true :)

Turing Complete

Postby Turing Complete » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:15 pm

4?

Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:34 pm

4 is also true :)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:46 pm

I'm guessing #2 is the untrue one, because I can't think of any career less likely to appeal to someone with Asperger's. Nothing to do with being "smart," just other reasons.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:10 pm

I'm with KareNin on #2, but only because it sounds too much like that movie about the guy and girl who both have Asperger's and she's a hairstylist. Mozart and the Whale, it was called.

Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:17 pm

That's correct, number 2 is the lie, but only mildly. :)

I *want* to go to cosmology school, however I have no funding whatsoever. And my mother has told me I am "too smart" to do it, which is silly :)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:18 pm

So, is your Mom the atheist or the agnostic?

Susannah (on this message board) just started cosmetology school, and she's certainly "too smart" also. But what a weird thing for a mother to say. Maybe it's not any weirder than what my mother told me back in 1968, though--when I dropped out of college. She said, "Well, not everybody is 'college material;' you can just get a job somewhere." And so I did. As a mail clerk at Nationwide Insurance. Now, THAT was intellectually stimulating... Gah.

Anyway, welcome to the Board, Immortal.

Do I go next, or Audrey?

Immortal

Postby Immortal » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:28 pm

No, you go first because you were the first to guess 2 :)

And I'm really not too sure about my parents beliefs...either of them. They were both raised in different churches (mum was an Irish Catholic who started blowing church off as a teen...she'd bring her mum the program from evening mass and say she'd gone.) the / didn't indicate one of each...it indicated kind of "either or" :)

And yes, parents do say silly things...Some of my fathers gems:

"You'd be so pretty if you weren't fat.""It's okay, Lauren is mentally handicapped." (As an excuse for parking in a handicapped spot)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:26 pm

Okay, let's see...

1. I got a handwritten postcard from Dave Barry once, apologizing for him not recognizing me at a book-signing. I also talked to him on the phone, twice.

2. I have gone to four different colleges, but still do not have a degree.

3. All 7 of my children are now taller than me, except for my youngest daughter who is 22.

4. I have 3 nieces and one nephew, but none of them ever post on the Snider Message Board.

5. My middle daughter is getting her Master's Degree in Special Ed. this spring, and my oldest son is getting his in Geographic Information Science.

Immortal

Postby Immortal » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:08 am

I guess 4, because I am guessing you have more than that :P (It's hard for me to imagine someone who's youngest child is 22 having only 3 nieces and one nephew...There are so many cousins in my family, it's unreal!)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:05 am

Nope, #4 is true. I have one brother who has no children, and one sister who has 3 daughters and one son. That's it. I do have, so far, four granddaughters and two grandsons and another granddaughter due in June--those are from my oldest 3 kids. The youngest 4 are single.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:49 am

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure #1 is true. I wouldn't be surprised if all your kids are taller than you, especially since you've probably shrunk a little from all the back problems. Is the lie a trick question? Like maybe the two kids are getting degrees, but the name of the degree is wrong? Because who ever heard of Geographical Information Science? I know Steve is really smart and keeps getting more and more educated, so maybe that one's true, too.

I guess I just have to take a guess. #5, hoping it was a trick.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm

No. I mean Yes.

The lie is somewhat of a trick question, but you guessed the wrong one. #5 about Steve and Jenny both getting their Master's Degrees this spring, and what their fields of study are, is completely true.

I know this, because it took me about 3 years to successfully remember what the heck GIS stood for. But now it is indelibly burned into my brain's hard drive.

So the lie is still out there...

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:39 pm

I guess number three, and that the lie is either the number of children or the age of your youngest.
I'm your huckleberry...

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:10 pm

Oooooo, sorry, hotel manager. Wrong. #3 is also completely true.

Anyone? anyone?

skye72

Postby skye72 » Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:28 pm

Gee, let's see. 50/50 chance of getting this right. I guess number 2.

jebelmuus

Postby jebelmuus » Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:21 am

And in preemptive fashion, I guess #1 just in case skye72 is wrong. Either way, someone's going to get it!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:55 am

Annnnnnd now, we get to find out Four True Facts (is there any other kind?) about skye72! It was #2 that was slightly off--I really have attended only three different colleges without getting any kind of a degree. And it's taken me almost 40 years to not-achieve this feat! That's gotta be some kind of a record.

Okay, skye72, you go.

Return to “Games”