But I thought...

This forum is for all the different game threads that run amok here in the Village.

Moderators: Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot

AdamOndi

But I thought...

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:59 am

I came up with an idea for a thread a couple of days ago, and I thought it would go in the Main Forum. I realized that it might make a fun game, too. So here goes.

Start a post with "But I thought" followed by something that you have realized was a serious misconception. It can be something you thought as a kid and then realized differently, or something you thought earlier in life just to have reality slap you in the face as you got older.

For example:

But I thought most adults would be pretty good at their jobs....
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:33 am

But I thought (when I was little) that shots wouldn't hurt any more once I was 12 or so. (I'm still scared of them, because they DO.)

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:14 am

But I thought babies were made when mommies and daddies kissed...

Card

Postby Card » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:35 am

But I thought "bastard" wasn't considered a swear word and was more in the "jerk" category.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:38 pm

But I thought that the "service industry" implied that the people employed therein would be likely to actually serve their customers....
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:27 pm

But I thought I was supposed to lose my appetite when I'm sick!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 09:56 am

When my kids and their cousins were little, my niece hit her brother in the forehead with a baseball bat, as hard as she could swing. She was crying so hard afterwards, saying, "But Ethan, I thought you were buff!"

KMD

Re: But I thought...

Postby KMD » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 07:17 am

For many years, I had no idea what "dropping trou" meant. And then I thought it meant to, um, defecate in a very inappropriate place (ie not a toilet).
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 01:13 pm

I still don't know what it means. Haven't heard it.

I do know what "The Browns made it to the Superbowl" means, though. And "I need to download some protocol."

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:11 pm

"Dropping trou" just means dropping one's pants, dunnit? Like, mooning someone?

Momma, I would imagine that with Chris in your family, you have heard an entire litany of euphemisms for successful visits to the Powder Room.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:57 am

Now that my brain is actually engaged, I would guess "trou" is probably short for trousers, so yes, it just means to lower your pants.

And since we're not a big sports family around here, but instead geeks, the Browns have never made it to our Superbowl, but many is the time we've needed to "perform a core dump".

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:09 am

But I thought the head of my company's United Way Campaign said that all donations were voluntary. Why am I therefore being bullied and nagged constantly to "voluntarily contribute" during this year's big drive?

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:13 am

AdamOndi wrote:But I thought the head of my company's United Way Campaign said that all donations were voluntary. Why am I therefore being bullied and nagged constantly to "voluntarily contribute" during this year's big drive?

While donations are voluntary, bullying and nagging are mandatory.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 16 Dec, 2010 04:48 pm

But I thought that if I keep eating things when I have a stomach ache, eventually I'll find the thing that will make it feel better!

(Seriously, that seems to be my default thought process.)

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Wed 02 Mar, 2011 12:58 pm

When I was a kid.... But I though "elbow grease" came in a can!" (As in "Put a little elbow grease into it"

But I thought moms had kids so someone else would do the work. (My kids think that, so why aren't they doing it, dangit?)
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:14 am

I just remembered this one!

I thought that people who were farsighted were either superheros with super vision, or liars. Since logic says the closer you are to something, the bigger it is/looks, I could not wrap my brain around someone being able to see something far away perfectly, but couldn't read a menu. So, when they had trouble looking at something close up, I figured they were faking it to hide their super identity.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:15 am

That one's awesome, KMD! I still don't know which is farsighted and which is nearsighted, or I didn't until I read your explanation.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 03:05 pm

I thought the phrase "In like Flynn" referred to Flynn from the movie Tron, making it into the computer world.

Actually, I still have no idea who the Flynn in that saying refers to.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 05:23 pm

Here is the link to wikipedia's thoughts on the Flynn saying.

I guess I haven't really noticed that saying before, so I learned a new saying!

I always thought that when one says the pledge of allegience, the proper way to say it is "one nation under God" pause "indivisible," etc., but everyone always says "one nation" pause "under God."

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 08:03 pm

Card wrote:I always thought that when one says the pledge of allegience, the proper way to say it is "one nation under God" pause "indivisible," etc., but everyone always says "one nation" pause "under God."

You thought right, it is everyone else that is wrong. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscod ... notes.html as an 'offiical' source of the actual text:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Prior to the addition of "under God" in the 1950s, I believe there was no comma between "one Nation" and "indivisible" (and obviously "under God" was missing).

Return to “Games”