But I thought...

This forum is for all the different game threads that run amok here in the Village.

Moderators: Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot

KMD

Re: But I thought...

Postby KMD » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 09:49 am

OK, after reading that wikipedia article and linking the phrase with Errol Flynn and seduction, I am kind of squicked out by the whole thing, and just want to go back to it being about Tron again.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Card

Postby Card » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 11:21 am

Yeah, seems kind of dirty, right?

Thanks for the support SDR. I will continue to pause where I pause in spite of everyone else.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 12:54 pm

The Pledge should be said without the pause between "one nation" and "under God," but I have never, ever heard anyone say it that way. My theory is that when children are taught to say it, the teacher says just a short phrase at a time, and that's how it sticks. When you think about it, we also say, "I pledge allegiance (pause) to the flag (pause) of the United States of America. And to the republic (pause) for which it stands (pause)" and so on.

Side note: I keep reading on Facebook where people are all outraged because the Pledge isn't allowed in schools any more. They should really save their outrage for something that's true. Because that isn't.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 01:53 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Side note: I keep reading on Facebook where people are all outraged because the Pledge isn't allowed in schools any more. They should really save their outrage for something that's true. Because that isn't.

I think what people are considering is that there are schools where as a matter of policy teachers no longer lead the class in reciting it, and thus consider that a de-facto ban.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 08:46 am

Well, if people actually did a little bit of research about everything the got all up in arms about on Facebook, then there would be far fewer silly posts for me to laugh at.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:30 am

So true! Did you see the one about McDonald's that showed what looked like a strawberry soft ice cream concoction, that they said was the entire chicken, including eyeballs, blended up for McNuggets? One of the things I do that annoys people (another thread somewhere) is linking Snopes all the time.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:35 am

Mmm, yummy beaks and eyeballs... {drool}

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 12 Sep, 2012 11:03 am

I remembered one of these yesterday!

When I was a kid, I thought that all cars had a special phone inside them, and their phone number was their license plate number. So, you could just dial up the person in front of you and tell them "Hey, your rear left tire is a little flat. "

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:05 pm

Great idea!!!! Only I'd be more likely to call them to say "Get off your phone any pay attention!"

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 12:37 pm

"If you're going to insist on driving 45 in a 60mph zone, could you at least move into the RIGHT LANE so I could PASS YOU ALREADY!!!"

Yeah, I think it's better that your license number doesn't ring into your car. Most of us would spend all our time chewing out the other drivers.

Oh, and now that I'm a grown up, I think these magical car phones should only work through some kind of near field technology. I really don't want someone who saw me in traffic writing my number down and calling me again, hours later and from far away, pranking me.

We were talking about this at lunch the other day, me and my co-workers driving back to the office. And one suggested the back windows of your car be made of a clear LCD screen, so you could show images out your back windows. Like, of a fish tank or something. But you could still see out. And I think car bodies should be made of nanotubes, that you can touch a button on your keyfob, sending a current through the nanotubes, causing them to align a different way, and now your car is a different color. So, every day you could match your car to your mood, or your outfit, or whatever. Make it somber for funerals, or hot red for dates. Speed down the road in a blue car, lose the cops on a turn, next thing you know, it's a red car instead.

We have fun lunches. Our bosses told us on this project they wanted us thinking "outside of the box" and "dreaming big". But I don't think they meant THIS far outside the box, considering we don't work for the auto industry. :lol:

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 08:49 am

I remembered one last night, making my son's lunch! I was peeling a navel orange, and I remembered when my mom told me that navel was another word for bellybutton. And the only parts of my body I could think of that had a "real, formal" name, and then a name you actually use when you talk about it were private parts. You know, like winkie or hooha. (Sorry, moderators, to get all graphic there. Don't ban me!) So, I figured that meant your bellybutton was one of your private parts, and should never to be shown, or even discussed in polite society.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 09:45 am

What makes you think you were wrong? ;)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 09:57 am

Yeah, I think we see way too many belly buttons these days.
But that's a good one!

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 12:23 pm

I agree on the showing it thing. I've seen way too many belly buttons on TV, at the mall, everywhere. But I really kind of thought the word navel was a dirty word, and if my mom used it, I would blush.

Why did I never associate it with nautical things?

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 01:55 pm

I was just kidding, and agree it is not a dirty word. Kids just get the wrong idea of things sometimes, like when I thought a girl would get pregnant from kissing. I doubt I was the only one to ever think that, but I did.

As to why you never associated it with nautical things: navel is not the same as naval.

Ha Ha! Just kidding. I mean, they aren't the same, but I don't expect people to hear the difference in spelling. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 03:20 pm

My mom pretty much didn't talk about body parts at all, and certainly not the "real" words. There are still very common words that I won't say (like the cra_ one and the far_ one) and I would never say "butt" or "pee" in front of her, even if she were still alive.

My dad told me, not more than a week or so before he died, that one time when my baby brother was un-diapered, I said, "Look at his potty-goer!" That's as technical as we got.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 05 Feb, 2013 01:13 pm

SDR, for a very long time I thought a girl could get pregnant by performing... ummm...oral acts. And I thought that because my mother told me so! It took many years and studies in biology before I realized she lied to me about that one.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 05 Feb, 2013 09:54 pm

I thought girls got pregnant from eating watermelon seeds. My mom told me that one, but I may have been too little to understand she was just being funny.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:34 am

My son seems to think that 7 year old boys can give birth to babies. And that babies drink milk from their mother's elbows. I have no idea how he has gotten these ideas into his head, but I'm pretty sure these are great big signs that I have got to have The Talk with him soon.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 04:07 pm

But I thought that if I kept posting worthless drivel, someone would post more, worthless or worthful, so I'd have something to read!

Return to “Games”