California Riverside Mission

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

SDR

California Riverside Mission

Postby SDR » Sun 17 May, 2015 12:49 pm

My wife's cousin's son received his mission call on Friday. Elder Stuart Stabler reports to the MTC on July 1 and then will be in the Riverside mission for the next couple of years.

I just looked up the mission map and couldn't help but see Lake Elsinore. Who knows if he'll ever get there, but it certainly is not a large mission (geographically speaking).

It's a small world after all...

Momma Snider

Re: California Riverside Mission

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 May, 2015 09:11 am

It's a good mission! With any luck he won't go to Indio or Palm Springs in the summertime. The rest of the mission gets hot, too, but not like the low desert. I'll be watching for him!

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 18 May, 2015 10:10 am

I hope he goes to Palm Springs in the summer, but maybe that's because I got transferred to Cut Bank, Montana, in December, where you are greeting by this as you drive into town:

Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 18 May, 2015 10:22 am

I'm pretty sure the words "cruel and unusual punishment" would apply if not for the fact that it is a mission and shouldn't be viewed that way. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 19 May, 2015 01:31 pm

I told Rocky to be watching for Elder Stabler around the end of July. I figured with that name, we're both more likely to remember it, having watched many episodes of SVU. We really, really hope his companion is named Benson; if not, Elliott would work.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 01:26 pm

So, SDR, where did Elder Stabler go for his first area?

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 02:33 pm

He went to ... {checking email because I do not recall} ... Miraloma (the second ward).

His Aug 10 email indicated the whole mission got to go to a minor league baseball game between the Lake Elsinore Storms and the San Jose Giants.

He has not been transferred out of his area yet, but he has mentioned transfers a couple of times. His Aug 24 email mentioned that Elder Knight, his trainer, was being sent somewhere else to be a zone leader and that his new companion would be an Elder Sinder. Sandee wondered if he was related to you Sniders until I pointed out the subtle spelling difference.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:22 pm

If there's an Elder named Sinder, I'm going to smack his daddy. That's just a misspelling of the true name.

He was probably at the Mormon Night Storm game that I went to. Rocky threw out one of the first pitches. (They had each stake presidency in the mission send a rep to throw one.) And as the elders came marching into the stadium, the sound system was playing a cool version of "I Hope They Call Me On A Mission." There were a whole lotta missionaries, and it was really cool.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 05:32 pm

Well, you'd probably have to go back several generations to find the right person to slap. Robison is almost certainly a corruption of Robinson, yet I have no desire to fix it. :)

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 06:08 pm

Today's email (just arrived) confirms that the name given last week was a typo and it is Elder Snider. So that's weird. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 06:55 pm

That is weird, but not as weird as Sinder would have been. But you know what's even weirder? When people know my name is Snider, and they think it should have a Y in it, so they spell it Synder. Not Sny, but Syn. That's not even phonetic!

We will have to watch for Elder Snider. That has a familiar ring to it!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 02:05 pm

Elder Snider went home. One of our elders was in the MTC with Stabler, but didn't know him well. I guess they came out here on the same flight, though.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 04:06 pm

Last I'd heard about Elder Sinder/Snider, he was to go home (honorably released) about six weeks early due to something keeping him on crutches. That was early October. Did he wind up staying out later (as a recent return home would indicate)?

Not that it really matters, just curious.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 10:38 am

Actually, I'm not sure when he went home. It's been a few weeks, at least. But it occurs to me that my last Elder Snider has been home for over 15 years. And I'm already "looking forward to" (meaning dreading) the departure of the next Elder Snider in less than 10 years. I love that they go, but I hate missing them. I'll probably hear more from grandchildren on missions than I see them now, though, come to think of it, so I will not whine. Plus, I'll be 72 years old by then, too old to remember them.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:57 pm

Now I'm wondering if Elder Stabler is still out here somewhere? I saw on FB that he was maybe going to need surgery or something, but can't find it now, and she didn't give details.
It's way too hot to be here on bikes, but I guess it's better than Iraq or someplace. Oh, and his mom seemed really freaked out a few weeks ago by the letter from the mission president about the new protocol for if the missionaries were to come across a protest of some kind, but my husband asked our friend in the mission presidency about it, and he showed him the letter, and all it said was that if they happened across a protest, they should leave the area. Basic common sense.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 08:03 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Now I'm wondering if Elder Stabler is still out here somewhere? I saw on FB that he was maybe going to need surgery or something, but can't find it now, and she didn't give details.
It's way too hot to be here on bikes, but I guess it's better than Iraq or someplace. Oh, and his mom seemed really freaked out a few weeks ago by the letter from the mission president about the new protocol for if the missionaries were to come across a protest of some kind, but my husband asked our friend in the mission presidency about it, and he showed him the letter, and all it said was that if they happened across a protest, they should leave the area. Basic common sense.

Still there. He lost his balance on his bike and broke his wrist (or near it anyway). It was in a cast for a while and bones weren't knitting correctly. Still trying to heal as far as I know with a chance of coming home for surgery.

His mother is a great person. And high strung. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 10:33 am

It's hard not to be highly strung when your son is away for two years. I was just glad to read the actual letter, because she kind of had me freaked out that maybe the mission president knew something was going on that I didn't know.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 10:39 am

My nephew is serving in Washington DC North. He has just amazed everyone in the past six months. He has been saying he wanted to go for years, but I didn't think he would. Even when he said he had put in his papers, I didn't believe it, and at his farewell in April I could hardly believe it was the same guy. He's 24, but I know his parents hadn't given up hope, even though I had. Every week when I read his letters I am more amazed. He is already training a new missionary, after only being out three months himself.

I don't know why I'm saying this today, but there it is. Just amazed and happy. Now if only his little brother would straighten up.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 11:04 am

She was high strung before her son left, but yes, having your child gone for two years probably doesn't alleviate those issues in most people.

She also has a four year old, so theoretically she'll get to do this again in her 50s.

Return to “Religion”