TV shows that mention Mormons, part II

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 02 Aug, 2006 04:21 pm

By the way, I loved how he suddenly came to her defense speaking fluent Spanish to a gangbanger after she had been making fun of him for weeks without knowing he spoke it. His explanation of how he learned it was weird -- from an investigator while on his mission?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 12:16 pm

The show: House

House is trying to find some underlings to torture so he hires 40 people and is slowly weeding them out. One of those he dealt with is a black LDS guy. Mormonism was discussed and promptly dissed by House, who manages to get the LDS guy to drink tequila, saying he needs LDS guy's squeaky clean liver to do a test to save the sickie. Funny underwear was mentioned.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 12:55 pm

I thought this was interesting. Not wholly satisfying, but not entirely a bad thing either.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 01:24 pm

Did you see it too?

I also thought it wasn't entirely a bad thing. House introduced a very thought-provoking situation: would you, as a Latter-day Saint, break a well-known commandment if it meant possibly giving answers to a medical question?

Plus the guy wasn't depicted in a derogatory manner, nor was he portrayed as stupid, crazy, or holier-than-thou. I can think of a few rebuttals to House's slam, "You think God cares what you put in your gut?" I can't remember if the guy was fired at the end of the episode though.

Another plus: The crazy guy with the bus ticket to "hell" from Sci Fi's miniseries The Lost Room was the cosmetic surgeon who suggested a boob job to hide the exploratory surgery.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 01:55 pm

I agree. I think House is a really complex show, and that was not an easy question. I think I might have refused in the end, because regardless of House's excellence as a diagnostician, I don't think anyone is so good that i need to put up with their crap. If I was the only option, maybe.

I do like the general portrayal and he was not fired.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 02:00 pm

I haven't watched it yet. Probably tonight. I keep thinking the other three doctors are going to come back, and all this searching for a team is just filler, but that's because I don't deal well with change.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm

I'm inclined that this turn of events is just filler. Cameron and the Aussie blonde guy were actually in the episode last night. Omar Epps was seen briefly, but it was implied that he was a figment of House's imagination.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 09:10 am

Okay, I watched it, and I agree that it was a very thought-provoking situation. I really liked the way he presented himself. And I was glad to see in the previews for next week that he was still there.

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 10:23 am

Also, did you hear House say "chesticles"? *snicker*

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 10:36 am

YES. That was too funny!

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 10:53 am

The only thing that bugged me was how the guy kept refering to the church as "the LDS". As in "The LDS doesn't dictate my life, they just give me guidelines to follow." I mean, who really speaks that way? I know the church as been trying to distance itself from the title "Mormons", and maybe the writers were trying to respect that. But even so, I wouldn't be saying "the Mormons don't dictate . . . " I would say "the church doesn't dictate . . .". And isn't the point of the whole name issue to put the focus back on Jesus Christ? Just calling ourselves LDS doesn't accomplish that.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:30 pm

Last night on Pushing Daisies one of the supporting characters was named Wilford Woodruff.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 03:04 pm

And last night on Jay Leno, during Jaywalking, Jay asked a guy who was president during WWI and he said, "President Hinckley?"

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:05 pm

lilcis wrote:Last night on Pushing Daisies one of the supporting characters was named Wilford Woodruff.

Was it Wilford or Wilfred?

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:22 pm

Wilfred.

But still...makes you wonder who came up with that character name.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:51 pm

Agreed. But what a funny character.

Susannah

Postby Susannah » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:27 pm

Last nights Desperate Housewives episode introduced the new couple on Wisteria Lane. Susan (Teri Hatcher) went over to introduce herself to one of the guys and soon met his life partner. The second guy mentioned how moving there would be good for his dog, and Susan mistook the dogs name for another man in the house. The first man sarcastically said, "Yeah, we're gay Mormons."

So, uh, polygamy joke; whats new?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:33 am

That one's pretty pitiful. Will the polygamy jokes never stop?

I thought it was funny that Cold Case, after having the one a year or so ago that presented Mormons as wackos, now did a show about the Amish that presented them in a crazy way, too. I don't know much about them, so maybe it's true that on the 16th birthday the kids are supposed to leave home and do crazy stuff just to see if they really want to be Amish or not, but I suspect it's not totally accurate.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:35 am

Susannah wrote:Last nights Desperate Housewives episode introduced the new couple on Wisteria Lane. Susan (Teri Hatcher) went over to introduce herself to one of the guys and soon met his life partner. The second guy mentioned how moving there would be good for his dog, and Susan mistook the dogs name for another man in the house. The first man sarcastically said, "Yeah, we're gay Mormons."

So, uh, polygamy joke; whats new?

I am utterly shocked... that anyone watches Desperate Housewives any more.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:59 am

Momma Snider wrote:I thought it was funny that Cold Case, after having the one a year or so ago that presented Mormons as wackos, now did a show about the Amish that presented them in a crazy way, too. I don't know much about them, so maybe it's true that on the 16th birthday the kids are supposed to leave home and do crazy stuff just to see if they really want to be Amish or not, but I suspect it's not totally accurate.

It's called "Rumspringa," and all I know about it is what Eric wrote in a Snide Remarks article about it.

Return to “Religion”