Are you guys really supposed to keep a years supply of food

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Slash the Berzerker

Are you guys really supposed to keep a years supply of food

Postby Slash the Berzerker » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 05:05 am

A person eats between 2 and 5 pounds of food a day. A years supply for even one person is upwards of a thousand pounds of food. A years supply for a family of five is several TONS of food.

Where the heck would you keep it? Even if my wife and I kept a years supply for just the two of us, it would probably fill a quarter or more of my basement. I hope that years supply doesn't include water too, or we are talking thousands of gallons.

A years supply seems really unrealistic to me. Is anyone actually doing that?
Bender, we love you!

Shut up, baby, I know it.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 05:14 am

Yes, there are people actually doing it. My cousin, for instance, has a huge storage area in her basement. She is continually rotating it too.

And, yes, we're supposed to be doing it. Here's info about it:

http://www.providentliving.org/

Click on "Food Storage And Emergency Preparedness"

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 05:39 am

generally, not water though. We've been counseled (given advice, not hounded upon to be obedient) to keep a 2-week supply of water. Although few probably actually keep that much. That's still a heck of a lot of water.

I've got my potatoes, what more do I need? Except chocolate chips. Which I have. In abundance. Except my husband gets into them.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 09:11 am

Technically...yes we're supposed to have a years supply.

Do I have some? No.

I heard it is easier to have 3-4 months at minimum that should get you through a major disaster or a layoff for a little while anyway (it's also great when you have no time to go to the grocery store). I think the key is also having food that you will actually eat so the food can be rotated (10 year old dry milk has a terrible taste to it). Also have comfort food on hand, like Gen Ad's chocolate chips because nothing will comfort you in a disaster like chocolate. :)

We used to store some our years supply underneath our beds, in closets, etc since we don't have a basement. I even have an old article that tells you how to store food in a one room apartment (those table cloths come in handy). If worse comes to worse, you could always get MRE's. They're stackable :). I know people who have separate areas of their house just for food storage.

My great grandparents, not LDS, used to have a years supply on hand because they were farmers. It's not really that new of a concept.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 09:11 am

Also, while we are counseled to store what we eat, we will make modifications. Obviously you can't store a year's worth of bread, so if you're going to want bread, you'll need to store the makings. Many people store wheat and a grinder, but many others just store flour. That has to be rotated, though, which wheat doesn't.

Thirty years ago the focus was on getting the four basics: wheat, honey or sugar, salt, and powdered milk, along with two weeks' worth of water. But the thought of living on only that doesn't sound very appealing, so there are lots of variations. We also have a dry-pack canner that is shared by several wards, usually, which prolongs the shelf life by a lot.

So I think we could say some people have it, and many more are trying. And even if we don't have a year's worth, probably most of us could live a month or two or three, even if the stores were closed for some reason.

apmusicman

Postby apmusicman » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 09:20 am

I don't have much of a year's supply of food, what with the poverty and all. But, you know, I knew a gal on my mission who didn't have a very big house and little storage capacity, but she wanted to still have a years supply. So, what she did was actually decorate her house using much of her food supply. It was kitschy, and not necessarily my taste, but I thought that was an interesting idea.

The important thing was she had her years supply and was able to keep it in her very small house. Considering I have space for a food supply in my house, yet I don't have one, I'm continually impressed with her sacrifice and innovation.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 09:23 am

We have a comfortable month... or 2 to 3 uncomfortable months.

mistytsim

Postby mistytsim » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 10:20 am

I was the Emergency Prepairedness person in my ward, and what I counseled people to was to work on four months, and to get that done in one year. Not only should you have water, but food, money, toothpaste, blah blah blah.

And I forget who said it, but you are right... only store food you acutally eat. If you never eat cracked wheat and then start... make sure you have a lot of Imodium on hand.

Rotation through your food storage is best. That way, you keep the food fresh and what-not. If you also have money enough stored, you can keep to living like you normally do.
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 10:31 am

Misty brings up an interesting point about having money on hand (or gold or whatever you can barter with). I'm sure in New Orleans the ATM's and credit card machines aren't working. I think I was told to keep $100 on hand, but it's really up to you. I'm sure you can barter with your food storage if you had to like the pioneers.

robcan2

Re: Are you guys really supposed to keep a years supply of

Postby robcan2 » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 10:51 am

Slash the Berzerker wrote:I hope that years supply doesn't include water too, or we are talking thousands of gallons.

It would be impossible to store a year's worth of water. We have a 50 gallon drum. Remember, though, that your hot water heater can be used as a water supply, and in a pinch, your toilet tank water.

Slash the Berzerker

Postby Slash the Berzerker » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 11:19 am

It sucks that all those Mormons with a food supply in New Orleans now have their food under ten feet of water.

To misquote a proverb, "Man prepares, nature laughs."

:(
Bender, we love you!

stvngrdnr

Re: Are you guys really supposed to keep a years supply of

Postby stvngrdnr » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 11:25 am

Slash the Berzerker wrote:Is anyone actually doing that?

Yes. I'm not yet, but yes people are doing it.

And it would be a good idea for anyone, not just trampoline-owning Mormons.
[url=http://www.thenarrativearts.com][b]The Narrative Arts[/b][/url]

georgebrat

Postby georgebrat » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 11:49 am

My Mom has a master bedroom size room in her basement that is her food storage. She started saving water in popbottles 10 years ago (in a ranch house (1floor)) and what she did was boil the water, put into the popbottles, seal with thread tape And masking tape, and put the popbottles under our beds. Then when she moved into the larger house, the bottles line the bottom floor under the shelving.

Also she bottles peaches, pears, tomatoes, grape juice, and apricot jelly every year. It just takes patience, time, and of course money to do all this. All of which is hard to come by.
Last year I started bottling food with her for my Own storage. So Mark and I have about a month's worth of food storage with No water! One thing good with newborns is they can get their food from their Mommy!

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm

Slash the Berzerker wrote:It sucks that all those Mormons with a food supply in New Orleans now have their food under ten feet of water.

True, but that's why we also have resources such as the bishop's storehouse. Here's a release from the church about the relief efforts.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 02:12 pm

Toilet paper. Store toilet paper. And some soap.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm

Yes, I believe in toiletry kits. They come in handy when you least expect it. I make 'em cute too.

Slash the Berzerker

Postby Slash the Berzerker » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 02:27 pm

Do you guys also stockpile guns?

Because, I mean, if the shizzle really hits the fan, one man with a gun gets to have all of your nicely stocked supplies for himself.
Bender, we love you!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 02:35 pm

I actually knew someone who believed that way. He said we'd all have to be defending our food storage with guns. What we really believe is that part of the reason we have a year's supply is so we can share with neighbors, etc., and if someone comes and steals it all, we're entitled to the blessings of having been obedient in the first place. I don't believe that Jesus would tell me to kill someone to keep him from taking my food.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 02:41 pm

It might be a good idea to have a hunting gun to kill food. However, if my neighbor wants my food storage that badly he's free to figure out how to steal it all. A years supply would be awfully heavy to carry around.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 01 Sep, 2005 02:44 pm

I'd finally lose weight.

Return to “Religion”