Are you guys really supposed to keep a years supply of food

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Mon 05 Sep, 2005 10:09 pm

Either way needs the vinegar.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

aadr

Postby aadr » Tue 06 Sep, 2005 05:12 pm

GenAdFemale wrote:Two things I NEED to have in my food storage: mayonnaise and spaghetti sauce.

My mom and I were JUST talking about mayo storage (we're just exciting like that).

What neither of us can figure out is how you keep the mayo without refrigeration after the jar's been opened. Any ideas?

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 06 Sep, 2005 05:37 pm

You make a boatload of potato salad.

Oh, wait.

Nevermind.

Maybe you should just buy a box of 1000 mayo packets at Costco instead.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Slash the Berzerker

Postby Slash the Berzerker » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 03:45 pm

Oh please! Why Not? Very Happy
Exactly what cannibalism thing are you referring to?

I was refering to *my* cannibalism. Not you guys.

I'll leave it at that.
Bender, we love you!

Shut up, baby, I know it.

nick

Postby nick » Wed 07 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 07:07 am

Well, all this talk reminded me to go look at our 72 hour kits. They are sealed in big metallic bags, food saver style, and I made them in October of 2002. So they're almost 3 years old. Do you think they are still good? These are the contents:

4 jerky sticks
3 Power bars
3 Hot cocoa packets
3 hot cider packets
2 fruit rollups
1 crunchy granola bar
1 can V-8
1 Capri sun
2 fruit cups
1 PB crackers
1 Chewy granola
3 oatmeal packets
1 gum
1 spoon
10 candy (? I don't remember what kind)

I'm thinking most of these things could be okay, and I hate to open them if they're not. Then again, I guess a big Ziplock bag would accomplish the same thing. Ideas?

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 07:34 am

We've done 72-hr kits at FHE on a somewhat yearly basis. We pack them in half-gallon milk cartons (washed out of course). The kids LOVE to take the old ones out and eat all the contents as we make new ones. I would imagine that they'll actually last longer than a year, especially packed in an airtight container. We strap water bottles to the outside of the cartons with duct (duck) tape too.

I like your list of foodstuffs to pack. I think I'll copy you. I have also included tuna or chicken in pouches or small cans that have pop-tops on them.

PS--I substitute Vitamin C drops (the kind that are sold with the cough drops) for some of the hard candy.

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 08:42 am

Oooh, the pouches of chicken or tuna are a great idea! I guess it's time to redo them, the kids will be thrilled. I've been on a no-sugar-you-have-too-many-cavities kick and they'll be happy to have fruit rollups again.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 09:51 am

I have officially arranged with Mr. Budget that we will spend a bunch of money this month and next on some food storage stuff. And this time I will try really, really hard to keep replacing it as we use it. I wish our ward preparedness person would do another dry pack order.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 12:52 pm

I wonder if you can do a dry pack order without the ward person. I'm recalling that in my old family ward we had women just get together the supplies together and dry pack at someone's home. It wasn't even a RS activity.

It also reminds me of my old EQ president and his family doing "The Lunceford's Day at the Bishop's Storehouse" video. It was pretty funny and informative. I think you can make an appointment and they'll work with you. I have no first hand experience if this is how it works though. My ward has never done any Bishop's Storehouse activity since I moved in a year ago.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 02:39 pm

About 2 years ago, we lived on our emergency storage when money was tight, and oh, what a blessing it was to have that food! My husband had no idea we had been living on it until 2-3 months had passed, which is a good sign that your food storage caters to the tastes and needs of your individual family. I LOVE stocking my emergency supplies. "It's easy and it's fun!"

In our apartment, we stored our emergency food in the linen closet, in the hard-to-reach parts of our deep corner kitchen cabinets (a trick I learned from an elderly sister in that neighborhood) and behind our headboard (we had turned our bed kitty-cornered to make more space back there).

In our house now, we have a 'fruit room' in the basement. I'm not used to having a place big enough for emergency storage and am still playing around with the best way to organize our food there. We still keep our 72-hour kits and our 'important files' box in our bedroom closet for easier access. We have two rifles upstairs, but am not sure where I want to ultimately keep them.

For me, water is the easiest to accumulate in because we already buy gallon jugs of distilled water for everyday use. (We have a month's supply at any time.) What is the easiest things for you guys to accumulate in your family's storage?
www.NewMoneyMama.com

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 02:50 pm

InOregon wrote:Also, you can store 2 lb bricks of wrapped cheddar cheese in ziploc bags in your storage room in you put 2 tablespoons of vinegar in the ziploc bag, too. I don't know about the rest of you, but having a boatload of cheese would make any kind of tragedy 100x better.

I agree.
That's a great tip, BTW! How long will the cheese keep? Or, how often will I have to eat and replace?

EDIT: I guess someone asked that.

So, to make sure: Keep cheese in intact vacuum package and put into a Ziploc with 2 tsp of vinegar?

EDIT: I guess that was asked too.

Well, anyway, InO, I'm so impressed!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 02:57 pm

When we moved into our house now, I designed and built two racks similar to these. In fact, everyone that came over to the house kept telling us I should apply for a patent and sell the plans on the internet.

I probably could at least do the last part. I would put my shelf up against theirs anyday...(Go BYU Mechanical Engineering Department!!!).

Anyway, the easiest for us to accumulate is canned goods, especially from the Storehouse (only a few minutes away). The hardest thing is water. We bought a few of those HUGE blue drums and have those...but once filled, they are impossible to move. I now want to get something like this to just put our water up and then I can put a spigot on whatever one I want and put the water in a smaller bucket. Unfortunately, they're expensive. Maybe I could design and build one???
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 08 Sep, 2005 03:11 pm

I LOVE that you guys have so much info. I have gotten a lot of great ideas here!

Steph, I'd replace the kits. Even in an MRE, the candy gets weird-looking and crappy-tasting after a few years. And power/granola bars tend to get rock hard.

Our 72-hr kits are packed in 5-gallon buckets so we can open them every Conference and go through them. (The buckets include clothing and toiletries. They're not just 5 gallons of candy and granola bars!)

Some other things we have in the kits are garbage bags (aside the obvious uses, they can be used to line the bucket in need of a potty), a pair of underwear/garments (nothing like a clean pair of undies when you can't shower!), an information sheet with a photo of whoever's bucket it is (full name, emergency contacts, blood type, religion, allergies, etc.), and a large piece of tough plastic (can be used for shelter or groundcover for sleeping).

I love how much we can fit into the buckets, and that they're waterproof. However, I much rather flee than hobble with my 72-hour kit. We'll probably change over to backpacks eventually. But we won't use those as potties.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:27 am

Superson:

If you've got the engineering background, here's what I want.

I want a container that is the size of two 55-gallon barrels stacked one-on-the-other, but as one 110-gallon unit. I want this to sit on my garage floor next to my water heater. I then want to disconnect the cold water from the water heater and connect it (via an extension if necessary) to the top of the 110-gallon unit. An internal hose would route this water to the bottom of the unit.

Next, I want a cold water outflow about 2 inches from the top of the 110-gallon unit which I could then connect to the cold water intake on my water heater.

In theory, I'd have 110-gallons of fresh water standing by at all times, constantly refreshing itself.

Do you think something like this could be done or am I just dreaming?
Chad

Benny

Postby Benny » Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:22 pm

My dearest mum and dad have these two enourmous plastic tanks of water. They are maybe 7 feet tall and I can get my arms a little more than 1/2 way around them and stand upright in the corner of the basement starage room . And apparently there's this stuff you throw in the water that keeps it from going weird.
It was kind of a pain when they moved. they had to hook hoses up to those things and let them sit for a day to drain them. Then they spent hours and hundreds of gallons refilling them at the new house.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:31 pm

deepdish wrote:Superson:

If you've got the engineering background, here's what I want.

I want a container that is the size of two 55-gallon barrels stacked one-on-the-other, but as one 110-gallon unit. I want this to sit on my garage floor next to my water heater. I then want to disconnect the cold water from the water heater and connect it (via an extension if necessary) to the top of the 110-gallon unit. An internal hose would route this water to the bottom of the unit.

Next, I want a cold water outflow about 2 inches from the top of the 110-gallon unit which I could then connect to the cold water intake on my water heater.

In theory, I'd have 110-gallons of fresh water standing by at all times, constantly refreshing itself.

Do you think something like this could be done or am I just dreaming?
Chad

A guy in my neighborhood has rigged up somthing that does this, but I don't know exactly how he did it. The only drawback is that if something happens to the water supply, like when you sometimes get dirty water, it will contaminate your 110 gallon supply, while the "stale" water would still be drinkable.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:20 pm

GAF's comment about making 8 loaves of bread got me thinking about Food Storage, which I haven't done for a while.

Now that we have the whole basement to work with, we need ideas about designing a shelf system that allows rotation of the canned goods and supplies.

I used to have a son who was going to help us design it... He used to hang around, here in the Village... I wonder what ever happened to that guy?

(I'm kidding. Steve is alive and well and incredibly swamped with his job, which keeps sending him off to distant lands and dangerous locales, like Washington, DC. Plus finishing up his Master's Thesis, being Ward Clerk, and a remarkable husband and father to four hilarious kids. Life just keeps humming, and this Board is a luxury, time-wise, that he just cannot afford right now. Alas.)

Does anyone know if it's still possible to get honey in 5-gallon buckets with tight-fitting lids?

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:09 pm

Nope, but I have recently rediscovered the joys of dehydrating. Nothing like fitting a month's worth of onions in a quart-sized baggie!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 25 Feb, 2007 11:03 pm

KareNin, maybe you should go back to page 3 and find my poem again about storing honey.

Return to “Religion”