Curiously inappropriate things seen at church

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Lowdoggy Dogg

Re: Curiously inappropriate things seen at church

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 08:41 am

My wife felt compelled to interrupt a relief society lesson on the post-mortal life after the teacher spent 20 minutes talking about near-death experience shows she has watched on tv. We were visiting that ward, which is why she was hesitant, but there was an investigator there and she was concerned that she would get the wrong doctrinal ideas, or none at all, whichever is worse.

When she talked to the teacher afterward, expressing her concern that the investigator might not have an understanding of the postmortal world, the teacher said "But she's not even a member."

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 10:53 am

One can only imagine the perceptions that investigator has now concerning the Church. What did your wife say when she interrupted?

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 01:16 pm

She was concerned that the teacher devote some time to explaining how the spirit world is not hell in the sense most people understand that word. The teacher didn't go into the paradise/prison separation at all, or the gospel teaching that occurs there. It was just heaven/hell.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 12:50 pm

We had that same post-mortal lesson a couple of weeks ago, and one lady made the comment that babies who die before the age of accountability will still be tested by Satan and still might choose evil. I had my mouth open, trying to think of something to say that would not offend her but would set that record straight. The teacher just moved on. Then my friend, who has lost a child and a grandchild both at around age 2, spoke up humbly to say that she knows her baby and her grandbaby are safe and that Satan has no claim to them. It was perfect.

I need to know my scriptures better, and be able to think faster! Or at least have the courage to correct something like that if needed. I'm old enough that I should be one of those wise older sisters, but I want to be the one who gently persuades, rather than the crochety old bat who disagrees with everyone.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:39 am

Yesterday someone (a visitor, I think) bore their testimony about Obama and how grateful he was for him. At the end he made a statement: "I don't know what we would do if we didn't have Obama to lead us. Who would help us?" .... pause.... "God, I guess."

Anyway, it hearkens back to when I had a Sunday School teacher who often mentioned how great George W. Bush was and how he was grateful for the war.

Both inappropriate. Political inappropriateness in church is totally non-partisan.

Also, to be clear, I really appreciate when people pray for the leaders of our country. I think that is appropriate.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:58 am

I think it's totally appropriate to pray for the leaders of our country, too, without going into detail about exactly how they need help. :)

We had a lady going around yesterday trying to get signatures on a petition. It's that one against SB48, called the "Gay History Law." She approached my husband, sure that because he's in the stake presidency, he'd want to sign it. Instead, he told her gently that the chapel was not the place to be doing anything political, so she asked him if he'd go out onto the sidewalk to sign it! (He didn't.)

The point is that church is not the place for any political agenda, even if you're sure EVERYONE will agree. Which you can't be sure of in the first place.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:33 am

I think I've mentioned this before, but it's driving me crazy. The organist plays the loudest, peppiest hymns he can find to play as prelude music. We have a pretty big ward anyway, about 300 in attendance, with lots of teenagers and babies and the accompanying adults, so I keep reminding myself that it's a whole different thing than the Silent Singles Ward, but it makes it MUCH worse to have that cacophony from the organ!!! People just talk louder to be heard over it.

I mentioned it to the bishop, but I think he has forgotten. I know my ears are oversensitive, but I'm seriously considering waiting in the foyer until the meeting starts, which is totally against my principles and upbringing.

Yesterday was even worse, because there was a baby in the row behind us who was screaming in a piercing voice, but they didn't take him out because the meeting hadn't started yet and it was so noisy with the organ blasting anyway.

I really don't want to be the cranky old woman, but I do not like noise!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 01:12 pm

Our Relief Society lesson yesterday was on Elder Ardern's talk, the one with the quote "Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text." Our teacher started by listing the essentials vs. all the distractions that make it hard to focus on the essentials, which was fine, but from there the rest of the lesson was on saying NO when asked to do something. The example she used over and over again was making "49 dozen cookies" for the Community Christmas Celebration and Nativity Display this weekend. Every ward was asked to bring 60 dozen cookies over the course of the three-day event, but we have a huge ward, so it shouldn't be a problem. And of course no one was asked to make any more than one batch. Sure, there are still people who just can't do it, but if everyone says NO because we have other things we need to do, where would we be?

I went up to the secretary afterwards and asked if she needed more cookies. I'll be making 10 dozen instead of 6. And I must not have been the only one, because we reached our quota last night.

I totally agree with the concept that we need to be able to say no sometimes, but if everyone said no every time, where would we be?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 03:54 pm

Momma, your experiences and others in this thread always remind me of the old saying about "If the gospel wasn't true, the people would have ruined it a long time ago." (May not be remembering it exactly, but you get my drift.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:45 am

I forgot the saddest part of the Relief Society lesson. In talking about not judging others for saying no (which okay, I should have paid more attention to) she gave the example of Heather, and said, "Maybe she can't bake 49 dozen cookies because her kids are overwhelming her right now. Maybe instead of judging, you should offer to go to her house and hold that precious baby so she can address her Christmas cards."

Uh, Heather has been trying to adopt a baby for a long time. she and her husband were actually at the hospital for the birth of what they thought would be their baby about two months ago, and then the birth mom changed her mind. She bore her testimony about this in October, but I guess the teacher wasn't there. Poor Heather, and poor teacher when she realizes! I hope she was just being prophetic.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 04:02 pm

Oh my gosh. :oops:

How awful. Now I just feel sorry for the teacher and her foot-in-mouth disease. But maybe you're right; maybe there is another baby for Heather just around the corner.

Oh man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:42 pm

I finally have one for this thread!!! I am so proud.

Today, Chris decided to come over and visit us as we were getting ready to go to church (we share the building with another ward, so our schedule is the dreaded 1:00-4:00 pm, until January, when we get to go back to the 9:00am to Noon block).

So we went to Sacrament Meeting, and afterward, Tom said, "I'm gonna go home and spend some time with Chris. I'll come back and get you at 4:00." I said Okay, because he can't hear what's being said in Sunday School and Priesthood anyway, and usually ends up sleeping through them. So he turned around before I could ask him to help me get my purse and scriptures up closer to the front. I quietly hollered at him (as quietly as one would holler in the chapel), but of course he did not hear me, and continued on out of the building.

Crud, thought I. How hard can this be? I can do this myself! So I got my folding cane straightened out, picked up my purse by its straps and my bag with my scriptures and manuals by its handles, stood up, and began carefully and laboriously making my way toward the front of the chapel, where we have Gospel Doctrine class.

As I was exiting the row where we were seated, I jokingly remarked to Ron Dempsey, who is now a grown man, but whom I have known since he was about 8 or 9, "Now just watch; I'll probably fall down." He asked me, jokingly, "Do you want me to catch you?" "Ha ha, no," I smirkingly replied. "Just lead everyone in laughter." He chuckled, and I continued trudging toward the front. I got to the second row just as the teacher was asking someone to say the opening prayer, and as I attempted to stop, turn, deposit my loot on the floor and get seated, my right foot failed to respond to the signal my brain sent it, and the toe of my boot remained firmly where it was in the carpet.

Momentum reigned, and I went down like a bag of rocks. My scripture bag went skidding to the front row with my purse right behind it, and there I was, splayed out like an overturned turtle, my wonky right leg locked at the knee, straight out like a log. Poor Ronnie and everybody else were all gasping and rushing over to help me get up. It took two people to get me back on my feet, because they were trying to just pull me up with my log-leg not braced against anything. I was laughing and unhurt, and assuring them that I fall at home frequently and it's no big deal. I said, "I was just kidding; I wasn't really planning to fall."

Finally I got settled and somebody said the opening prayer, and we had a great class. But Crikies, how inappropriate.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:16 am

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think physical issues resulting in falling is inappropriate. Unless you were doing it just to get attention. Then you win.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:40 am

Or if everyone had laughed instead of helping you up, that would be inappropriate.

I fell down at stake conference one time, more than 15 years ago. It was about five minutes before it was supposed to start, and I saw someone in the back that I wanted to say hi to. The toe of one shoe caught in the bow on the top of my other shoe, and I went down hard. Most people kindly pretended they didn't see anything, but one lady helped me up and kept patting me and hugging me to show sympathy. Trouble was, she was patting me on my belly, which made me feel even more uncomfortable.

I hope you aren't suffering any ill effects from the fall.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 09:42 pm

Well, I wasn't, until you and Scott basically told me I STILL didn't have a valid entry for the Totally Inappropriate thread!

:oops: :roll: :cry:

Seriously -- no, it actually didn't hurt as much as when I fall at home, because at home, there is hard flooring everywhere; either ceramic tile or hardwood laminate. And no throw rugs anymore, because the girl dogs all think they're indoor Porta-Potties, so we've had to toss them all out one by one. Falling at church was onto nice, comfy carpeting. I briefly thought about just staying there and relaxing for a while (like I sometimes do at home before attempting to find something sturdy and immovable enough to enable me to get back up onto my feet). But I figured if I did that, everyone would think I WAS hurt, and we never would have an opening prayer.

I can't handle that kind of pressure.

P.S. Actually, my left buttock-bone hurts a little more than usual, but not much.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 03:56 pm

We had a lovely Christmas program for sacrament meeting the week before Christmas. The music was lovely, anyway, with choir numbers and duets and congregational singing. But the narration was simply several people reading the words to Christmas carols. I was thinking how beautiful that could have been, if they'd read them like prose, but every one of them read them in a sing-song way, with pauses after every line.

On Christmas, we had a combined meeting with two other wards. The talks were by the three bishops, and were really good, and the conducting bishop announced that the closing hymn would be I Believe In Christ. Very appropriate to the topic of the last talk, even if it's not a Christmas carol. The chorister leaned over and could be seen arguing with him. Rocky told us later that she had said, "We're supposed to sing Silent Night!" He said, "We're doing this one." She said, "Silent Night only takes a minute, and I Believe in Christ takes five minutes!" And he said, "We're singing I Believe In Christ." Which we did. And it didn't hurt any of us to be in church four minutes longer, even on Christmas morning.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:12 pm

And even though we couldn't find my kids' church clothes, so they were sitting in sacrament meeting in their footie pajamas.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:50 pm

Can't find church clothes and wearing jammies where you're visiting?
Not inappropriate.
Shoot, you WENT. That's the important thing. But that reminds me, we were at Steve's on Christmas Day, and the program was one of the best and most spiritual I've ever seen. There is an abundance of musical talent in their ward.

But a couple of the kids in this one family in their ward who have 6 boys? They got AWESOME SLIPPERS for Christmas, and darned if they didn't insist on wearing them to church so they could show all their friends. I love kids.

(And I don't think that was inappropriate, either.)

The organist arguing with the conducting bishop against singing "I Believe in Christ" instead of "Silent Night"? Totally in-. Coal in the organist's stocking next year.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 02:04 pm

A young woman in Gospel Doctrine yesterday made the comment that her psychologist told her that she's observed that "men in the Mormon Church don't treat their wives very well." She then went on, through other comments, to let us know about her difficulties with her husband (all of which are, naturally, totally his fault) and I later found out she had gone into even greater detail on Facebook.

I was very taken aback by her original comment. What I wish I'd said was that obviously the psychologist is only seeing women with problems in their marriages, so her opinion is going to be skewed, but I didn't actually say anything. I felt really sad that anyone has that perception, though. I know there are men who don't treat their wives well, and there are even some who think they have that right as the Patriarch of the Home, but they are surely a minority and are due for a rude awakening someday.

And I really, really don't like hearing that kind of details from a semi-stranger in a Sunday School class.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:01 pm

Yeah, since Facebook and Twitter, I've noticed a LOT of people (usually female, but not always) tend to overshare these days. It's like their internal social filters have been discarded, and when they find an opportunity to make a somewhat-relevant comment upon something someone says, unless they are thanked and stopped by the teacher (or panel moderator, or whatever), they just run on and on and on. While everyone in the room gets more uncomfortable.

And I am including myself in this group, lest you think I am overlooking the chunk of wood in my own eye, here...

Return to “Religion”