Curiously inappropriate things seen at church

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: Curiously inappropriate things seen at church

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 Sep, 2013 12:13 pm

I had a bishop's wife explain to me once that those years of being the mother of small children are not much about Mom getting spiritual uplift, but more about teaching the kids that church is where we need to be. Just try to appreciate those smiles of sympathy, because we really do remember how it was, and the important thing is always to just be there, even if you don't feel like there's any point. Which you didn't indicate is your feeling at all, of course, but I think most of us thought it plenty of times.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 24 Sep, 2013 10:29 am

Thank you, Momma S!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 04:11 pm

Okay, who's ever been to church in Brazil?

We have a family in our ward with two boys, ages about 4 and 6. Every week the parents sit alone in sacrament meeting while the kids are allowed to just run around. In the chapel, out of the chapel, it doesn't matter. And people keep saying it's cultural, because the mom is from Brazil. Could that really be the case?

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 08:19 pm

I know a couple people that served missions in Brazil. I'll ask.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 08:33 pm

So I cut & paste the query to him privately (as he has a number of contacts in and from Brazil, and I didn't want to risk alienating anyone with such a question) and received this in response:

"I see that here in my ward in West Jordan. I don't remember anything like that on my mission, but I don't remember anything like that here 30 years ago either. Sign of the times?"

So that is one person's take on the question.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 02:39 pm

I guess there's some stuff I'll just never understand.

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:35 pm

See it all the times these days. Kids allowed to run around everywhere and get in to everything. Parents don't even bother to take the kids out of Sunday School class when they start fussing. So little parenting actually done these days.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 31 Jan, 2014 04:16 pm

It is a sad sign of the times. It doesn't surprise me at school, but it does surprise me at church. Most of our kids in Primary are quite well-behaved and seem very well-taught in the gospel, but there are these two who seem oblivious to the concept of reverence or good behavior or sitting in a chair. And then there's another girl, a seven-year-old, who doesn't even go to Primary because she doesn't want to. Mom just keeps her with her all the time. She attends my school when she feels like it, but that's very irregular, too. I know there are kids with behavior problems that don't have anything to do with discipline, but these, where the parents just don't bother to try, make me really wonder how these kids will be when they're teenagers.

Return to “Religion”