Curiously inappropriate things seen at church

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: Curiously inappropriate things seen at church

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:45 am

Yeah, it's funny how some people drive everyone crazy with posting where they are several times a day, and others drive everyone crazy telling personal secrets and opinions. And then there was the mom at my school who posted pictures of her son lying brain dead in the hospital after he drowned, and also pictures of him in his coffin.

All those posts give me something to read in the evenings, though, so I'm really not complaining.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 01:44 pm

I made my own Inappropriate occasion Sunday! We have been having very poor attendance at choir lately, only six total two weeks ago, including the director's wife, son, and niece. We were scheduled to sing that day, too, which we didn't do. Anyway, the director always texts the night before to remind everyone, and this past Saturday he didn't, but the week before he had texted to say we WEREN'T having it, so I didn't know for sure. I texted him at noon to ask, but didn't hear back. Since it doesn't start until 12:15, and I'd already had a nap, I figured I'd go just in case. Sure enough, no choir. I read scriptures and then played the piano for a while, and then had a conversation with the bishop about our prospective renters, and passed the time nicely.

The choir director arrived at 1:25 and had to rush up to play prelude. After the sacrament was over and the speaker was speaking, he decided to check his messages and saw mine...and responded. My phone was not turned off, because no one ever calls me anyway, and I have the longest text alert in the world, 16 measures, so there I was, fumbling with my purse to find my phone and turn it off.

And it turns out we're not having choir until further notice, because they have to get more people to participate. I'm the only alto, and the three sopranos are all pretty frail. Two are young teenagers. In a ward of 700 people, that's the best we can do?

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Sat 03 Mar, 2012 10:48 am

Our singles ward testimony meetings are pretty entertaining every few months. I knew we were in trouble last time when a bald headed man came up with a handwritten front and back two page testimony. As he started spewing, he said how he wanted to go out with a particular girl by name (she is our organist and was sitting behind him). He commented she was taller than him and could totally see his bald spot. He talked about how wonderful she was and completely out of his league. He droned on and on about his dating life for about 15 minutes. He tried to get the congregation to show by a raise of hands who was in a relationship and who was not. Luckily, he asked to Bishop about the raise of hands and the Bishop emphatically said no. I couldn't believe he wasn't going to stop this looney but the Bishop let him drone while the rest of us were dying of embarrassment for the girl who got the shout out and for him. The meeting ended with a very spiritual testimony by a woman in our ward who is undergoing cancer treatments. Guess which testimony I remember? The crazy guy.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 03 Mar, 2012 03:04 pm

Oh, brother. Well, I think Crazy Guy pretty much sealed his Fate as a permanently-single ward member.
(Unless he moves to a Singles Ward where his talents as an orator are not known; then he might stand a chance.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 11:20 am

I'd hate to have been the bishop in a situation like that, but I have to wonder why he didn't say anything to the guy, or pass him a note.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 07:17 pm

My Bishop has been known to say completely awkward things at church so I guess he figured he might as well let this guy have his moment. I'm sure he pulled him aside later and told him it was inappropriate. I noticed this month the conducting bishopric member spent a few minutes defining what a testimony is and said it was an unscripted expression at faith. I heard it was a normal testimony meeting after that.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 07:30 pm

One of the problems a bishop has, I think, is that they must keep hoping that the person will finish up, and I'm sure he also hopes it will end with an actual testimony. It's a tough call sometimes.

One of our deacons has a funny habit of looking all around the room instead of where he's going. Yesterday he ran right into the back of the deacon in front of him as they were going to hand in their water trays. Water spilled all over the back of the other guy's coat, and it made quite a bit of noise. Most inappropriate, though, was that I started laughing and didn't know if I was going to embarrass myself and create a bigger disturbance. I managed, barely.

Oh, and the woman who a couple of months ago said that her psychologist told her that Mormon men don't treat their wives well, said yesterday that her psychologist taught her that people can be compared to a deck of cards. There are 52 cards in the deck, and each person's personality corresponds to one of the cards, so you have to study cards, and if you relate to the king of hearts, for example, and your child relates to a different card, you won't get along. It got really bizarre.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 07:58 pm

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but one week I thought the bread tasted vaguely of jalapeno, and the gals I was sitting near thought so, too.

Yesterday we had an adorable six year old give a pretty lengthy testimony about how she used to like princesses and now she likes pioneers. The testimony was about five minutes of random stories about how she wanted to be a pioneer and had pioneer dresses. It was a classic random story time from a six year old, except that she went on for so long that it stopped being cute.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:23 am

We had good talks yesterday. I was a little distracted, though. I was asked to pick up a woman who decided at the last minute to bring her four-year-old son, who wasn't dressed yet. Plus, she had a locked gate and a pitbull-lab mix who didn't seem friendly, and she didn't hear him barking for several minutes after I got there. Anyway, we walked in at the very last minute. They went to the bathroom during the opening hymn, and then remembered that he had left his jacket in the restroom and started to go get it just at the start of the sacrament. I whispered the suggestion that they wait until after the sacrament to go get it, which they did. But then she talked at full voice to him throughout the entire sacrament and through the rest of the meeting. I feel very awkward shushing an adult, so I didn't know what to do. Everyone for two or three rows around us now knows that she is allergic to earrings, so she really shouldn't wear them, because they make her ears itch, for example. I seriously don't know what to do if it happens again next week.

And then there was the grandpa, a long-time member, who chased his little granddaughter up onto the rostrum and then proceeded to just walk her around up there, pointing out the organ (this was during the sacrament hymn) and the curtains and whatnot. Later in the meeting, while he was walking her around, he purposely took her back up there and wandered around again. Kind of a head-shaker.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 02 May, 2012 02:52 pm

Last Sunday, our bishop conducted a combined meeting. At the end, he closed his statement to which everyone, including me, said, "Amen". But my brain immediately said, "Amen, Bishop Cutie Pie." :shock:

I'm not going to deny that my eyes still work, but even though no one heard me say this, I feel really embarrassed that I thought it. SO EMBARRASSED.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 02 May, 2012 03:26 pm

May my eyes never be too old to recognize cute!

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 05 May, 2012 08:55 pm

It just felt so inappropriate to me because 1) he is in the bishopric and 2) we are the same age. Maybe I would have thought nothing of my "cutie pie" comment if he was much older or much younger than me. I will now lash myself a dozen lashes.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

SDR

Re:

Postby SDR » Sat 05 May, 2012 09:52 pm

ImAdhis wrote:It just felt so inappropriate to me because 1) he is in the bishopric and 2) we are the same age. Maybe I would have thought nothing of my "cutie pie" comment if he was much older or much younger than me. I will now lash myself a dozen lashes.

Lash yourself or bat your lashes at him?

ImAdhis

Re: Re:

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 05 May, 2012 10:46 pm

That's a tough call...

OH- I mean- LASH MYSELF!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 May, 2012 12:00 pm

This wasn't inappropriate that I heard it at church, but it seems to me that it's ridiculously, horribly inappropriate that it happened.

A husband and wife both spoke. The wife has been a lifelong member, and the husband was recently baptized. They told about how, when they started dating, her mom actually kicked her out of the house for dating a nonmember!!! They both used the word "disowned."

I can't imagine how this could make any sense whatsoever. As soon as your child heads down what you consider to be the wrong path, you just dump them and wash your hands of them?

The wife said that she considers her grandmother to be the mother figure in her life, so maybe there were issues long before this.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 14 May, 2012 12:34 pm

I just learned that the eldest niece of a childhood friend from church is getting married to the guy she's been shacking up with. Naturally this marriage is not happening in the temple, and her father is boycotting the wedding. There are still three weeks or so to change his mind, but it looks unlikely. I can understand disappointment, but refusing to be a part of it? Seems very shortsighted to me. My oldest son is shacking up with his girlfriend, but since he's not speaking to me I fear I won't even be invited should he get married. :(

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 May, 2012 01:39 pm

Yeah, I don't get it. Kids do things all the time that disappoint their parents (well, other people's kids do, or so I've heard :)) but like I always say, if you love a person enough to be saddened by their behavior, you should love them enough to keep trying, and to forgive, if appropriate.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 16 May, 2012 02:52 pm

Totally agree, Momma. Toe tall lee.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Aug, 2012 03:38 pm

I think it's funny how often I have come here to tell about something that wasn't all that inappropriate, but my reaction felt that way. I have another one. Have I mentioned how I HATE when the RS teacher divides the class into discussion groups? Because I really, really do. I like to go and play prelude music and play the opening hymn and then sit down in the front row and stay there until it's time to get up and play the closing hymn. I do not want to turn my chair around and choose a spokesman and report on a section of the lesson. I especially don't like to do that when the teacher makes it clear that we're doing it because she didn't have time to prepare a lesson.

I try not to react in an inappropriate manner, though, especially now that Rocky's in the stake presidency and I'm supposed to be someone people can look up to. Ha.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 11:00 am

I totally understand where you're coming from. On the other hand, I've been teaching RS for two years now (yay!) and at first sometimes I needed to do discussion groups because I didn't know how else to fill up the time. And sometimes I do it just to shake things up. Last week's lesson actually suggested breaking the sisters up into groups to discuss the sections, but I didn't feel it was necessary.

So the moral of the story is that you should come to my lessons, because they are AWESOME. The end. :D
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Return to “Religion”