Big Love

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Thu 06 Apr, 2006 11:16 am

lilcis wrote:
3. If anyone should be getting upset, it's the polygamists themselves. Only they have the right to assert an opinion about whether this show is a true representation of their culture.

But if we did that, we wouldn't be living up to the age-old rite of getting angry and excited for other people, when they dont particularly care.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

Mithra

Postby Mithra » Sat 08 Apr, 2006 11:49 am

I watch it regularly and find it very entertaining. I really enjoy watching a show that has so many references to people and places in my daily life (spectacular Utah scenery, and so on).

The two most enoyable aspects of the show, I find, are those dealing with the interplay of the three wives, and those dealing with the "compound" - that polygamist-only area in fictional Juniper Creek, Utah where reality is twisted and only insiders know what the rules are. I find myself feeling slightly afraid whenever the show goes there.

I don't know much about polygamist lifestyles, but I do know quite a bit about Utah Mormon lifestyles. On those points, the show is very accurate. I hope that means that the polygamist-related material is also very accurate--but I can't verify that.

The Mormon friend of the oldest daughter that WL talked about, "Deb", is portrayed as a good person, so far. She showed up last week to pick up the oldest daughter from a party she had unwisely chosen to attend. I hope that part of the show doesn't take any nasty turns.

A lot of the humor in the show is from poor, patient Bill trying to keep track of where he is supposed to go each night when he gets home from work. He always enters through only 1 house, the first wife's house, so the neighbors don't get too suspicious. The back yards of the houses are all tied together by virtue of fences being torn down, mostly.

Finally, I think they are doing a good job of showing some very intense financial realities surrounding an arrangement of this type.

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Sat 08 Apr, 2006 12:06 pm

I think (having never seen the show) that it might be interesting to watch just from the perspective that a lot of us have 2,3,4 great-grandparents who were involved with polygamy, and what might the internal interrelationships have been like for them, translated into a more readily approachable modern era.

I got a bit unwieldy on that last sentence. Sorry.

People are pretty much the same, no matter when or where they live. So if there's resentment, jealousy, yet still love and trying to get along, between the 1st wife and the other two, how does that play out? What about the man trying to show love and give equal time to all three wives to avoid jealousy? These kinds of issues were common among 19th century Mormon polygamists; how would they be handled by people who drive cars and use the internet in a 2006 world?

For these reasons, I think the show may have a redeemable creative value. Although I have heard it focuses a bit too much on sex for the tastes of even those who are currently involved in polygamy.

Mithra

Postby Mithra » Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:57 pm

The first couple of episodes were geared towards sex a lot, but later episodes have concentrated on interplay of personalities, relationships with neighbors, and the on-going battle with the polygamist leaders in "the compound".

They do make it pretty clear, week by week, that these guys are not LDS.

StuggliesWife

Postby StuggliesWife » Fri 19 May, 2006 03:46 pm

I've watched it all season. It's a drama/comedy like many others on HBO before it.

Hilarious stuff and I am really rooting for the demise of Roman the "prophet".

I was put off at first by some of the LDS beliefs and language but then I remembered how many people broke away and started their own religions but still believe in the Book of Mormon.

It isn't going to make or break the church in my opinion. If anything, it will put more of a bad light on the fundamentalists.

The "sex" scenes are far and few between.

I was hoping the 3rd wife would decide to leave. She was being asked to sacrament and other LDS activities by the lady across the street.

The scene with the missionaries was amusing. Their name tags were so far removed from anything LDS that it couldn't possibly be taken seriously.

Does it make you wonder if you have "mainstream polygamists" living next door to you? :badgrin:
My family...
Me 37, Husband 49, Son 16, son 12, son 6 and daughter 3

You're only allowed to be a victim once;after that, you're a volunteer.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 20 May, 2006 05:10 am

Mithra's comments drew me back in for an episode, and what do I see but middle wife's naked breasts while they have sex (after which she informs her husband that she is almost $60,000 in debt). I like some of the characters but get a queezy feeling when I watch the show. That Roman character is scary.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

nick

Postby nick » Sat 20 May, 2006 08:33 pm

Some cable channel is playing watered-down versions of Sex & The City now. I figure maybe they'll do the same thing with Big Love in a few years and I'll take a look.

SDR

Re: Big Love

Postby SDR » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 09:59 am

And it is over. And beyond the hype at the premiere of the series, I've barely heard a peep over the past five seasons. Still, good riddance.

Return to “Religion”