For all you Returned LDS Missionaries

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Eric's Fat Brother

For all you Returned LDS Missionaries

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 01 Nov, 2006 12:30 pm

A couple things. First, are you aware of the LDS Mission Network? Located at http://www.mission.net , it is a network of mission alumni websites, with about 187,000 registered alumni among 360 sites. It is a great tool for keeping in touch with old companions, finding out about reunions, etc. So if you are an RM and aren't aware of this site, take a look and go register at your alumni site.

I have been working with the LDSMN for quite a while. I run the alumni sites for the Montana Billings Mission (where I served) and the Washington DC South Mission (where my little brother served). The reason I am bringing this up now, besides the obvious fact that I think it is a great tool for RMs, is that the LDSMN is facing a bit of a crisis. For the past several years, Deseret Book has provided rack space and bandwidth for our server -- essentially, free hosting. The network bought the server through donations, but everything else about the hosting has been free.

We have just been informed that at the end of the year, that hosting will no longer be available. So we are now looking for a new solution. It is likely that we will have to move to a colocation center, and it is likely that it will cost quite a bit more than the zero that we have been paying.

So if you are in the mood to donate, go to http://www.mission.net and click on the "Donate" link on the left. It is a great cause, and every little bit helps. (One thing to note: the LDSMN is not an officially recignized non-profit organization, so donations are NOT tax deductible.)

Sorry for the blatant plug, but that's the benefit of running your own message board.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 01 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm

Thanks for the info. One of my old companions runs the San Diego site, but he hasn't mentioned anything about it.

The sites are an awesome resource for RM's and it would be a huge loss if anything happened.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Wed 01 Nov, 2006 05:04 pm

I got an e-mail the other day about this and it wass basically asking for someone else to host it for free.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 01 Nov, 2006 05:53 pm

Well, one of the many options (and probably the best option) is to find another nice setup like we had with Deseret Book, where someone houses our server and provides the bandwidth for free. But I don't think it's extremely likely that that is going to happen.

Card

Postby Card » Thu 02 Nov, 2006 01:50 am

Hee hee. All of a sudden I thought it would be funny to write in the "Other" line on the donations slip "For bandwidth for mission.net."

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 05 Nov, 2006 09:29 pm

Thanks for letting me know about this site. I just connected with a friend I've been trying to find for over 5 years!

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:04 am

Has the mission.net site gone down? I haven't been able to check it out for a few days.

Also, EFB, did you know any Steinfeldt's in Billings?

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:13 am

Yes, mission.net has gone down, but I have no idea yet if it is related to this issue or not. I emailed the main mission.net administrator, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

As for Steinfeldts, the name sounds vaguely familiar, so I am guessing they lived in a ward I didn't serve in but had some interaction with. Do you know where in Billings they live?

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:21 am

I don't. He's a friend from my mission and still lives there. Good guy.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:12 am

It's back up now but I can't get the permanent URL for my mission to work. I have to go to the homepage and then click in to get to my mission.

jensendude

Postby jensendude » Thu 13 Sep, 2007 09:42 pm

You know what is strange, is that a very good friend of mine from my mission lives just 4 blocks away, and since he is so close I have only mad an effort to see him once. oh well, he is either a great friend or he was a great friend 15 years ago when I knew him. (of course I still know him, but he's got his life and I've got mine.)

Some of the other Elders and Sisters I served with, I have not even seen since the MTC.

Return to “Religion”