Need Sharing Time ideas

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Need Sharing Time ideas

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 May, 2007 10:01 pm

So my class has to do the Sharing Time class presentation on the 20th. The topic for this month is "I strengthen my faith when I learn about the restoration of the gospel" or something like that. I teach Valiant 9, and there are about eight of them.

Trouble is, since we're not LEARNING about the Restoration this year, it does not tie into any of the lessons, so I have to come up with something just for this. I have looked at the helps in the Friend and whatever else is on the website, and none of them really tell me how to involve my class. All night last night I was dreaming that I came up with the perfect show, but when I woke up it turns out I was just going to have them each read something about Joseph Smith, and it's not nearly as profound as it was in my dream, especially since three or four of them don't read so well.

So does anyone have any ideas? It's for senior Primary and I'm supposed to take about 15 minutes.

fireball

Postby fireball » Mon 07 May, 2007 10:50 pm

I was having trouble coming up with ideas for this month, too, but I ended up switching with someone so now I have the Mothers' day sharing time instead. What I was thinking about doing was to play "Primary Squares" like Hollywood Squares with questions about Joseph Smith and the restoration. Since you have eight kids in your class, you could have them all be squares and then have someone like the primary president be the center square. Or you could get 9 adults to come in and be the squares, but then it doesn't involve your class much. I think I got the idea for this on someone's website - I will look around and see if I can find it.

Update: Found it - http://www.sugardoodle.net/Joseph%20Smi ... ares.shtml
"Some people have a way with words, and others... not have way." - Steve Martin

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Tue 08 May, 2007 05:29 am

Our CTR 8s had sharing time this last week and I pointed the teacher in the direction of sugardoodle.net, and she chose that EXACT activity!

For senior primary she asked and the 1st counselor in the Bishopric and me, both of whom can lie convincingly if necessary, to sit up in front and she divided the group in half. One of the kids was assigned to his half and one to mine, and one kept score. A kid would read a question about the restoration, we'd answer, and our half had to decide if we were right or wrong. The only trouble we had was that the kid asking the questions for his side got so excited that he knew the answer he'd yell out "You're right!!!" Or "WRONG!!!" before the kids could answer, but it was funny. You could have 2 score keepers (or 3 if you did three answering adults), and the rest take turns asking the questions.

Then for junior primary she had her class act out parts of the restoration with different hats as the costumes.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 08 May, 2007 01:57 pm

My class has sharing time in June. Nice to know there is a resource here when I'm beginning to prepare.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 08 May, 2007 06:32 pm

Thank you so much! Great website, and it will be a great activity. I think I might use my kids as the squares and give them each the right answer and a wrong answer and let them choose which one to give.

This will let me demonstrate my tic tac toe skillz, too. Always start with a corner, and if you go first, you can't lose!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 10 Nov, 2007 01:10 pm

Okay, I'm stuck again. My class has the class presentation this month. I went to sugardoodle, where I found the great idea for last time, but I didn't get any ideas for how to actually use my class this time. One problem is that I now have 13 in my class. (That's a problem on several levels, actually.) Probably only nine or 10 will be there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Sat 10 Nov, 2007 02:58 pm

Is there an assigned theme for this month, Momma? Would something Thanksgiving-related work? Something about counting our blessings, or things we're thankful for, or something along those lines?
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 10 Nov, 2007 03:05 pm

That would be helpful, wouldn't it?

My faith in Jesus Christ blesses my life. I am thankful for my blessings.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 17 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm

Doesn't anyone have any ideas for me? Please? I just can't figure out how to involve my class in whatever I do.

I keep thinking about the ten lepers. I have a theory on the story, that many of those who didn't return to thank Jesus had convinced themselves that they never really had leprosy after all, or something. How often do we do that when we are healed? I think it happens a lot. I'd like to bring that up somehow.

Card

Postby Card » Sat 17 Nov, 2007 11:14 pm

Sorry. I don't even really know what you're supposed to do in sharing time. It's been too long since I've been to one. So... the class does a presentation or something?

Can you liken it to tithing? The Lord require 1/10th of our income? Thank him with a tenth of what you receive?

fairyshasha

Postby fairyshasha » Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:34 pm

My Mom went to an institute class where they were talking about this parable. Ironically she sent me an e-mail about it today. Among what she sent was this.
"Luke 17:5-19 And the Apostles said unto the Lord, "increase our faith." He talks about faith as a grain of mustard seed, then the servant who finishes his work in the fields - will he be invited to sit and have meat with his master or will he be expected to serve food to his master first? Will the servant be thanked? Christ said, I think not. What will you do when ye have done all those things which are commanded of you? Then he meets the 10 lepers who ask for mercy and were cleansed. One of them, a Samaritan, turned and glorified God and then fell down on his face at the Savior
I had a baby this year. Three girls total now!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:30 am

Thank you so much! That helps, and I can feel wheels turning in my head. When I tried to get my class to just tell me something they were thankful for, most of them said "video games" and "motorcycles" and so on. I could point out the what they're really thankful for is a nice home where luxuries such as video games are available, and strong bodies so they can ride motorcycles, etc. I will definitely use what you said about faith, too.

I'll let you know how it goes.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 23 Nov, 2007 07:02 am

I'm sorry I missed this entire exchange. I've been so busy.

I did sharing time with my class last Sunday, which is down to one poor little boy (the others have moved on to YM during the sharing time portion of the meeting), so it was more of a lecture than a share. I also have the benefit that only older kids are in sharing time then, from eight years old and up. It went well though; the Presidency and the singing leaders voted to have me use the entire time that should have been singing and other stuff because the kids were enjoying our show so much. The lesson was on the Priesthood and I think they enjoyed the novelty of having someone who actually holds the priesthood teach about it. I had a symbolic priesthood tree that my wife helped me color and cut out, with branches for the priesthood offices and leaves for the various duties of each office, and I also had my line of authority. Like most HPs, my line goes back only four people before you hit a member of the First Presidency. The kids seemed to really like that.

I ended up doing sharing time two months in a row because the topic last month was on missions and I was also the only teacher who was a returned missionary. All the junk and photos every missionary brings home seems to mean a lot to the kids. Well, I guess it means more and more to me as I get older and the stuff gets a little more "old" looking. It's hard to believe when I drag it out every other year or so that I actually bought all that stuff new once upon a time.

I hope your sharing time goes well; it's neat having all the kids on the edge of their seats.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:23 pm

I just thought I'd share what I did for Sharing Time. I had the idea (inspiration) during a baptism the day before. As I said, the hardest part was thinking of something that would involve all my kids. I printed the letters in the word "gratitude" on separate sheets of paper, and had nine of my kids stand up there, each holding a letter, but in the wrong order. Then each class took turns moving a letter around. That took a few minutes. Then, because one girl had to sit that one out (she didn't arrive until after class) I let them all be the lepers who came to Jesus to be healed. If I'd had more kids, there could have been more than ten, and I'd have let one of them act the part of Jesus, but as it was, I did that part. I wouldn't let any of the goofy boys be the one to say thank you, because I knew they'd overdo it, but they enjoyed acting like lepers.

Then they sat down, and I asked the whole Primary to think about the possible reasons that a person might not say thank you in a case like that. Answers were that maybe they were too excited to get home and tell their families, and that maybe each one thought everyone else would say it, and that because Jesus healed so many people, they thought he didn't expect to be thanked. And then one of my boys who has heard my spiel before said, "Maybe they thought it was just coincidence, or that maybe they didn't have leprosy in the first place."

Then I was able to tell the story about when my husband had cancer, diagnosed by a needle biopsy, and we all fasted and prayed and he had a blessing, and when they did surgery, the lump was there, but there was no cancer in it. The doctor said the lab must have made a mistake, but I told him that even though mistakes happen, so do miracles. The punchline of that story is that about the same time, we knew a lady who had almost the same situation, family fasted and prayed and gave her a blessing, and when she had the surgery and the cancer wasn't there, her family threatened to sue the doctor for operating when she didn't have cancer after all! It seems the height of ingratitude to reason away the blessings we receive.

The whole room was silent for this, and they remained reverent and quiet whole we had closing exercises. That was weird, but I was thankful that they listened and seemed to be pondering.

fairyshasha

Postby fairyshasha » Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:12 am

That sounds very cool. I'm glad it worked out. It's amazing to me to watch children react to something like that.

Last Sunday a Sister came into primary. She was telling the children about a collection she is gathering next Sunday for a battered Womens shelter. Her accent can be difficult to understand, but the kids were really trying to listen to her explain it all. She was telling them what the shelter was and why these women and children have nothing. She was telling them to go home and get their $5 and not spend it on candy or games, but to go get gloves, a hat, or some crayons. She even told how the husbands would hit, how the women were hurt and why they needed white sheets and towels. It wasn't graffic though, it was actually very moving. I was in the back and could observe all the kids taking it in. Quite a few of the kids are well off. You could see the wheels of gratitude for what they have, and a greater understanding of blessings and service kind of turn around in their head. I felt a little bad for the boys being made aware that some men physically hurt others.

Then, they started the lesson, it was about the priesthood. She started out telling them about hands. And what those hands could do to bless and help others. It was unplanned that way -but quite the contrast. The difference between hands that hurt and hands that help. I have never seen those boys so quiet. The whole thing made me tear up (which isn't normal for me -some of my friends joke that I'm dead inside.) But, like you, I was touched to see the children really feel the spirit and think about all they had to be grateful for. It was a good reminder for me too.
I had a baby this year. Three girls total now!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 06:38 pm

My class did the sharing time class presentation again today, and I thought I'd share what I did in case anyone else is trying to think of something.

I wrote down several gospel topics and, using the Church website, found a quote from a latter-day prophet and also a scripture for each one. I chose to do nine, because that's how many kids I could have if they all came. I had each child read a quote and the accompanying scripture. I also had each quote and each scripture in big type on a separate piece of paper and had them taped to the board, scriptures on one side and quotes on the other, and we did the matching thing. Since they were matching quotes to scriptures, they had to actually think about what they were reading. It worked out really well...

...Except for the part where I numbered each one on the back, to make it easier for them to pick without having to come up. I realized just before we started that I had put both sides in the exact same order, and since there were numbers and letters on the back, I couldn't just switch them around. Luckily I had stapled them to cardstock, so I was able to just pull off the cardstock from the quotes and then shuffle them and put them back. I was hoping it would take a few turns for anyone to catch on that I'd messed up, but the very first kid chose 1 and A, and the second kid chose 2 and B, so the secret was out.

But overall it turned out well, and now it's over for another six months.

Return to “Religion”