OSC vs. Some Baptist Dude: Is Mitt Romney Christian?

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Karen

Postby Karen » Fri 26 Oct, 2007 04:09 pm

KMD wrote:And so, we all end up fighting each other, when Christ's main teaching was for us to love each other. Boy, do we manage to screw that up in spectacular ways! [/i]

How right you are! I don't know if you know the hymn "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy", but it refers to followers of Christ as the lights along the shore which lead seafarers to the lighthouse, or Christ. It says:

Trim your feeble lamp, my brother.
Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed
trying now to make the harbor
in the darkness may be lost.

Let the lower lights be burning!
Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor fainting, struggling seaman
you may rescue, you may save.

It also says "eager eyes are watching, longing for the lights along the shore". People are looking for others who exemplify the love of Christ. It's hard for them to find us if we're squabbling over who's really doing that.

Good post, KMD!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 27 Oct, 2007 06:43 am

EricDSnider wrote:I only meant to say that the Bob Jones thing could help him get the nomination, which he stands little chance of getting otherwise. After he's nominated, you're right that the backlash against Evangelicals could hurt an Evangelical-endorsed candidate. Which is kind of funny to me, because I might vote for a Mormon, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't vote for a hardcore Evangelical.

and

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:I would be disinclined as well.

Mormons are sometimes criticised because of what some see as the potential for a theocracy with a Mormon president taking his cues from Salt Lake. Of course I am biased, but I find that generally unlikely.

However, I do think that a hardcore evangelical would be more likely to make decisions that disregarded law on the basis that they were morally right.

These are great points. I think it goes back to our understanding of the doctrine of Mormonism, that we believe we are subject to the law of the land even if we don't necessarily agree with it. We even accept that LDS people fighting wars against one another is going to happen, and that both parties can be true to their faith when it does. A lot of people not of our faith are astonished by such doctrine.

That's not to say that we don't believe that we should do everything we can to elect and influence our leaders to pass laws that we believe are morally just. The problem with some Evangelical Christians I've met is that they no longer believe we should render unto Caesar what is rightfully his. In a land of laws, picking and choosing which laws you are willing to obey will lead to anarchy.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Return to “Religion”