LDS Christmas programs

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Susannah

Postby Susannah » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 04:32 pm

KMD wrote:As soon as it was over I fled backstage, and cried my eyes out, nearly vomited and was covered in hives.

Oh you poor thing! I know how that goes (oh, do I ever), and I know it was two years ago, but HUGS!! to you! Oh my.

Hey, Audrey, I asked my dad for some suggestions and he said his very favorite is Christmas: A Carol Cantata
It has:
Hark! the Herald Angels Sing
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
O Holy Night
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Silent Night
What Child is This?

If you would like to look it over PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.
Last edited by Susannah on Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 05:40 pm

Oooh, yes please! I'm PMing you right now, Sus.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Susannah

Postby Susannah » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 08:06 pm

SENT! I went straight to the Post Office and all, so check for it in a few days, I guess. :)

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 08:48 pm

Wow. Thank you! You are awesome! :D
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 12 Dec, 2007 06:59 pm

InOregon wrote:One of my favorite Christmas sacrament meetings was when the bishop let the ward request their favorite Christmas hymns or songs from the Children's Songbook.

My bishop every so often does this but without the warning aspect. We come into sacrament meeting and he tells us then "pick a hymn, tell us why it strengthens your testimony, and we'll sing it."

He does a lot of things in our ward that I've never seen other bishops do. Sometimes it's a good thing and at other times... it's... interesting.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 14 Dec, 2007 11:22 am

Our choir is doing an extended version of "Shine For Me, Star of Bethlehem" from Jackman Music. It is beautiful. And we're also doing a Pachelbel thing that goes with it, and it will be beautiful, too, except that I'm the only alto and I don't have a fortissimo setting. Six tenors, fives basses, and about six regular sopranos, plus whoever shows up that day and thinks they should join the choir, and then me in the alto section, plus the one who never even knows what page we're on, and I literally have never heard her voice, even though she sits right next to me.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 14 Dec, 2007 07:49 pm

This isn't solely about music, but my ward does something every year that is so outstanding I just want to tell you all about it.

This is the first year I have actually planned far enough in advance to get tickets and set the evening aside to see it. I had only heard glowing reports in previous years, after it was all over with and I had missed it.

Every year--and this year it was on November 29, 30, and Dec. 1, with four performances each evening--our ward puts together an elaborate Nativity Pageant, called "Prophecy Fulfilled." The cultural hall is transformed into a Bethlehem marketplace, where each group of visitors is led by a costumed "tour guide." Here they may wander among the realistically-costumed merchants, beggars, dancers, villagers, etc., until Caesar and his men arrive and Caesar makes his pronouncement about the taxes. Amid the furor over the decree, our tour guide leads us outside, where we observe and overhear the young Joseph and Mary and their donkey, as they make their way toward Bethlehem. Mary's sweet face is spotlighted as she sings an angelic song about her impending delivery of the Christ child.

Next we are led to a hill overlooking an encampment of shepherds and sheep. As they slumber by the fire, a bright light appears above them, and groups of angels emerge and sing messages about the "newborn King."
As some of the shepherds travel toward the new star, we are invited to follow them. We are led back into another part of the meetinghouse, decorated to represent the stable. Mary and Joseph and the newborn Jesus are there, along with wise men, shepherds, lambs and other animals, angelic figures from many ages and many countries, and again Mary's pure face is lighted as she sings a lullaby to the Son of God. Then all are invited to sing along, and we are then led from that area to the chapel, which has been transformed into an ancient temple.

In this portion of the pageant, the elders of Israel are blessing the firstborn infants, including the young infant Jesus. Then some years pass, and we see the scene in the temple where Jesus has stayed behind and is teaching some of the older men while Joseph and Mary are searching for him, "sorrowing."

Then we are allowed to go back into the marketplace and enjoy refreshments, or go down the hall to see the collection of Nativity Scenes, or creches, displayed in the Relief Society room, or view "Joy to the World" and pick up a DVD and/or some pass-along cards, and leave comments and chat with others.

There are over 200 costumes, countless cast members (LDS and non-LDS alike), live farm animals, a huge amount of decorating and set design and work and rehearsal that goes into this production, beginning in about August if I recall correctly.

There are 12 performances, and tickets are given out (it's free, but you have to reserve a spot) to hold the group's numbers to about 30-35. The tickets go fast, and a huge percentage of them are non-LDS community members. So approximately 400 people see this inspiring, touching, spiritual testimony every year in our community, and the feeling of love and the true spirit of Christmas is phenomenal in that context.

The musical numbers are exactly right, and the young mom we had portraying Mary this year was perfect in the role. I was so proud of the fantastic presentation. I love my ward. Wow. I haven't felt this way about my ward family in a very long time. It feels good.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:06 pm

Wow. That sounds absolutely fabulous!

The Don

Postby The Don » Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:37 pm

That sounds really cool.
I like traffic lights.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:44 pm

KareNin, that sounds just like my ward in Florida (when I was age 8, 9, and 10) except they hosted a haunted hay ride out in the woods that attracted people from all over the county. It was complete with screaming torture scenes, decapitated bodies, and rabid gorillas chasing children in playgrounds. This was how our ward made most of its budget money so there was great disappointment when the Stake presidency said we should no longer host such an event. So, it's just like almost sorta your ward. ;)
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:58 pm

KareNin, that sounds awesome. ImAdhis, yours sounds awesome, too, but it a different way.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 08 Jan, 2008 11:50 am

So, Audrey. How did your Christmas program go?

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 08 Jan, 2008 05:17 pm

It went really well, and thank you again to all of you who shared ideas and especially to Card and Susannah for sending music!

A variety of people from the branch did readings, which were mostly scriptures from Luke and Matthew telling the Christmas story. In between readings I had musical numbers relating to the verses that had just been read. There was a nice variety of music, including congregational hymns, one female duet sung a capella, one viola duet, a male/female duet with acoustic guitar accompaniment, and a trio with piano accompaniment. What was especially cool about it was that I had no idea some of these people had these great talents, and now I am so glad I asked for volunteers rather than choosing people who I already knew were musical or good speakers or whatever.

One person actually told me it was the nicest Christmas program she had attended, which was quite a compliment. I was personally too stressed by it to enjoy it or feel the Spirit much (in addition to planning it, I am the branch pianist), but it was nice to know it was well-received.

If anyone is interested in having a copy of the program, PM me and I can e-mail it to you.

Return to “Religion”