Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Joan Allen, are Playing LDS!

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Does Kathy Bates look like she could pass as a relief society president.

I see that more in Joan Allen.
50%
Jessica Lange is more relief society President matrial.
No votes
If Kathy Bates can be molly brown she can be Relief society pres too.
50%
None of the Above they are too Hollywood to be L.D.S.
No votes

Total votes: 8

rayjay2380

Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Joan Allen, are Playing LDS!

Postby rayjay2380 » Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:54 pm

I Was Looking Around LDSFilm.com When I Saw This.

Bonneville:Touching and funny movie about three Mormon women on a road trip to deliver the ashes of one of their dead husbands to his resentful daughter. Stars three major film actresses: Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Joan Allen. Directed by Christopher N. Rowley; written by Daniel D. Davis. Limited release Feb 29, 2008.

Joan Allen Talking about What it's like to play an LDS Woman on Film

The Movie looks to be family freindly, and it Seems like it Put's LDS People in a Positive Light, (Unlike an Unnamed Jon Voight Movie That was the Exact Opposite of the 2 above mentioned things). The only thing is this also looks like terms of endearment or steel magnolias. Both Chick flicks. But other than that I get a Kick out of saying. The older Sandra bloom From Big fish, Molly Brown from James Cameron's Titanic, and Pamela Landy from the Bourne Movies, Are all playing Mormon's. The funny thing is all three actresses look like Normal L.D.S. Women we would see in Relief Society. in fact Kathy Bates could Pass a a Relief society president. Just Saying. I mean Eric Would even Agree These three actresses fit the part.
:D

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:33 pm

I couldn't quite vote with the choices as they stand. But yeah, the Kathy Bates from Misery could easily be a Relief Society president. I can see her now, staring down the bishop during ward Welfare meeting.

Interesting that they're delivering the ashes of one of the husbands, since LDS are not known for cremation.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 11:22 am

Clever title. I take it the movie is about an unexpected road trip in a Pontiac Bonneville, but obviously the word has more connotations for Utahans and Mormons.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 11:30 am

I don't know, Ish... It was filmed (at least partially) on the Bonneville Salt Flats, so maybe that does figure in.

KareNin

Re: Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Joan Allen, are Playing

Postby KareNin » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:39 pm

rayjay2380 wrote:
The Movie looks to be family freindly, and it Seems like it Put's LDS People in a Positive Light, (Unlike an Unnamed Jon Voight Movie That was the Exact Opposite of the 2 above mentioned things). ...The funny thing is all three actresses look like Normal L.D.S. Women we would see in Relief Society. in fact Kathy Bates could Pass a a Relief society president. Just Saying. I mean Eric Would even Agree These three actresses fit the part.
:D

My brain ain't wurkin' at the moment, so I'm drawing a blank about the "unnamed Jon Voight movie" that you're referring to, rayjay. Please give addled old Auntie Karen a break and name it for me. Thanks.

Also, Y'all should check out the ladies in my ward's Relief Society! There are a few that fit the stereotype, but we honestly have some stunningly attractive women in our ward. Most of them nowadays seem to be young, fit, dress stylishly, etc. Many of them work outside the home, and it seems like they are aware of how to look classy and current without being immodestly dressed or having overdone make-up. So "Relief Society" no longer seems to be synonymous with "a bunch of frumpy, dowdy, timid Church Ladies." It IS still true, though, that the High Priests are all old, gray, wrinkled, deaf geezers who use a walker to get around, and snore loudly through Sacrament Meeting! (Just kidding.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm

I suspect that the "unnamed Jon Voight movie" is September Dawn.
[url=http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/]http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/[/url]

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 04:16 pm

I'd like to think I'm one of the cute, stylish RS ladies. Although I'm NOT because I'm a Nursery Coordinator. That's right, Coordinator. That means I run 3 nurseries. And I look good while I do it, oh yeah. Although I wear more flats than heels because I have a fear of impaling small children with heels as I walk in and out of rooms.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 05:12 pm

I am not one of those cute, stylish RS ladies, mostly because I don't like RS and also because I mostly sit on the side and text message my bff--I mean read the scriptures on my iPhone.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 05:28 pm

InOregon wrote:I am not one of those cute, stylish RS ladies, mostly because I don't like RS and also because I mostly sit on the side and text message my bff--I mean read the scriptures on my iPhone.

Me either. I'm fat and ugly and very unfashionable (sometimes I wear nude hose!). It's even worse because I am education counselor and our RS pres, who I usually sit next to at the start of RS is a thin, fashionable lady who always has perfectly coiffed hair and I'm lucky if I can get the one side to lay marginally flat. She also recently had a boob job enhancement and is looking more and more like a very tan Barbie doll.

Card

Postby Card » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 06:22 pm

It's always really interesting to hear about what people's ideas are of who a typical Relief Society person is. What I've figured out is that nobody thinks that it's themselves.

Also, in my ward we have three Relief Society presidents due to three different Relief Societies. I think they have quite different personalities from each other and dress differently. They also have three different ways of performing their callings, even though they all basically follow the handbook as far as I can tell.

So I think that if any of them (especially a particular one of them) could be a Relief Society President, then nearly anyone could be.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 12:44 am

I thought Dolores Umbridge in the movie Harry Potter 5 she looked like an RS President gone amuck. It must of been the pink and the syrupy sweet voice. I'm in a singles ward so the RS president stereotype doesn't really stand there.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 02:16 am

Jersey Girl wrote:I thought Dolores Umbridge in the movie Harry Potter 5 she looked like an RS President gone amuck.

Yes! She's exactly the type I think of when I think of "generic Relief Society president." Perfect example.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 12:16 pm

I used to have a preconceived notion of what a bishop's wife should look like, and act like, and in all ways be like, until I was one. Then all bets were off.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 08:35 pm

Card wrote:So I think that if any of them (especially a particular one of them) could be a Relief Society President, then nearly anyone could be.

True that.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Return to “Religion”