Walkout!

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Have you ever walked out of a movie?

Yes. Many times. I could have presided over the Salem Witch Trials
No votes
Yes. A few times. I choose wisely.
45%
Yes. but because I didn't think it was good quality, not because of offensive content.
36%
No. Too chicken.
18%

Total votes: 22

Susannah

Postby Susannah » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 05:30 pm

Yesterday I walked out for the second time. Granted, I was only in there to waste time until my movie started, but I had planned on staying about fifteen minutes longer than I did.

It was Doomsday and I was waiting for Vantage Point. I just couldn't do anymore of the up close violence. I can handle it ok usually (I completely love 300), but that was insane.

The only other time I've walked out was during Mr. Brooks, I was only a few minutes into it, but it was creepy. I didn't really care about leaving because I was a bit preoccupied with the Oceans Thirteen premiere in the theater across the hall. As I walked out of that theater I almost bumped into Andy Garcia (and his two bodyguard entourage.)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 05:53 pm

EricDSnider wrote:
KareNin wrote:I have never bought into the argument that "if we don't put sex and profanity and violence in the film, nobody will come to see it." My challenge to filmmakers is: Oh yeah? Try it!

Well, lots of people DO make movies like that, and guess what? By your own admission, you don't go to the theater to watch them. :-)

Actually, those are usually the five or six movies I DO go to the theater to see in the course of a year.

Stuff like "Over the Hedge," the "Harry Potter" movies (ignoring the fact that those mentioned actually do contain a lot of violence)... uhmmm... I'm having trouble even coming up with any other ones right now.

One thing I need to mention is that the only choices in movies we get here in central Ohio tend to be the guaranteed huge-audience ones, not little independent films or foreign films, and if any of the LDS-managed films that have been mentioned in other threads were ever released in any theaters here, I sure couldn't ever find 'em.

Bear in mind I also said I would like these movies to be GOOD movies... not just mediocre stories that are so devoid of anything possibly offensive that they suck. It USED to be possible to make good movies that have become classics, without having everyone's every sexual encounter shown to us, and language peppered with so much profanity that it has no strong meaning anymore. I'm not a prude, but I do think that implying what happens and then letting the imagination supply as much lurid detail as the viewer wants in his or her mind is not such a bad idea. Of course people have sex. Of course they get angry. Of course war is bloody and horrific. But I'm not always in the mood to have it shoved down my throat just because I want to see a movie in a theater.

Can I get a list of those good, clean, wholesome movies that moviemakers are making right now from you, Eric? I promise, if any of them are playing in any theater in the Central Ohio area, I will go plunk down my money and help save those honorable filmmakers from having to go on food stamps. I just haven't seen any of them advertised around here. Remember, I said GOOD movies.

Thanks, man.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:10 pm

Yeah if they are good, people will go see them even if they lack profanity, sex, and violence. Look at Napoleon Dynamite. Kevin Smith said it was an incredible feat to have a movie that funny be that clean.

And no, Uncle Rico hurling a ribeye does not count as violence.
I'm your huckleberry...

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:02 pm

I think it's interesting to consider the makeup of the biggest movies in terms of domestic box office receipts compared to movies generally.

Look at this top 100 list, from boxofficemojo.com http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Of those 100 films, only 9 are rated R; and only 2 of those are in the top 50 (The Passion of the Christ at #11 and The Matrix Reloaded at #33). I'm not sure what the percentage of R-rated films are compared to wide-release films generally, but I'm pretty sure it's higher than that. As one indicator, 977 of Eric's 2183 movie reviews are rated R.

There are a handful of PG-13 movies which include material objectionable to some (Titanic, Forrest Gump, Meet the Fockers), but most are remarkably clean. A lot have action violence of some sort (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Spider-man, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones), but minimal crude or foul language or immoral situations. Several top-grossing films (like Pixar/Disney films and ET) have virtually no objectionable material of this nature.

So I don't think it's accurate to say that people don't see films that don't have objectionable material. If they're good quality and aren't ignored by marketing forces, they can make more money than any other movies.

And I haven't walked out of a movie early--except when I'm with other people and my ride is leaving while the credits are rolling. Then I've left early a couple of times if you count that, but I've never asked for my money back.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:34 am

hotel manager wrote:And no, Uncle Rico hurling a ribeye does not count as violence.

What about the grapefruit/orange attack at the hands of Napoleon? Completely violent and anti-citrite to boot.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

The Don

Postby The Don » Wed 26 Mar, 2008 03:27 pm

I generally know what I'm getting myself into before I go to a movie. I did walk out of one at Sundance once because it was boring and consequently wasn't worth sitting through the objectionable content to get to anything really interesting. The name of the film eludes me at the moment. On the other hand I have sat through movies with quite a bit of objectionable content because either it was important to the story or I enjoyed it so much that I didn't care. Requiem for a Dream is a good example.
I like traffic lights.

whea-wix

Postby whea-wix » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:37 am

I have walked out because I am bored. I usually just hit another movie. I've paid to see a movie, so a movie I will see.
Nothing against it; I've just never got in the habit, like racquetball or methamphetamines. ~The Know-it-All

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 06:43 am

The first time I walked out of a movie was in an English high school class. The teacher put on "A Clockwork Orange" for us to watch and afterwards, discuss and write a paper on it. I don't remember why, but it had something to do with other things we were studying.

Anyway, less than five minutes in, I got up and left. And over the course of the next half hour, half of the rest of the class followed me. They almost universally commented to me that they were glad I walked first because they wouldn't otherwise have had the guts. Internally, I was hoping the teacher wasn't going to yell at me, although I already figured I'd get a failing grade on the paper.

Turns out, next day in class, the teacher first apologized for the inappropriate content as it obviously offended a few people, then said that those of us who walked out wouldn't have to do the paper. No failing grade - it just wouldn't count at all. *whew!*

Since then, I've walked out of other movies, usually from there being content I have zero desire to see/hear. This also includes DVDs we bought and are watching at home, in which case I'll do something else instead. There are some things I really don't need to see and I'm just better off avoiding them. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 08:28 am

quidscribis wrote:The first time I walked out of a movie was in an English high school class. The teacher put on "A Clockwork Orange" for us to watch and afterwards, discuss and write a paper on it. I don't remember why, but it had something to do with other things we were studying.

This reminds me of a couple of times when high school teachers put on inappropriate movies during class. In English class, it was "Lord of the Flies." In Spanish class, it was "Like Water for Chocolate." There were many parents that got very upset, especially since school district policy required teachers to get permission from parents to show rated R movies in class.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 12:10 pm

I've only walked out of one single movie. It was an action/adventure.

The poster in the lobby of the theater called it "Predator." I called it weak and unwatchable.

Carl Weathers and two future governors...

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 02:36 pm

AdamOndi wrote:This reminds me of a couple of times when high school teachers put on inappropriate movies during class. In English class, it was "Lord of the Flies." In Spanish class, it was "Like Water for Chocolate." There were many parents that got very upset, especially since school district policy required teachers to get permission from parents to show rated R movies in class.

Since I am a Spanish teacher, let it be known that I would never show "Like Water for Chocolate" to a group of high school students. It is a beautiful story and it's a beautiful film, and there is a lot of poignant cultural knowledge to be gained from it, but I can't think of a way to get that point across to a group of high school students without inviting full-on mayhem or disgust or both into the classroom due to the strong sexuality and nudity in that film.

High school kids are interesting... I can't even teach the numbers to my kids without them giggling incessantly about "sesenta y nueve" or purposely mispronouncing "apenas" and "quiz
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 07:36 pm

Hey, Audrey, trust me - I was scared and I was expecting the worst. When I left, I sat in the hallway just outside of the classroom so the teacher could find me if he wanted to talk to me. He didn't, though. The English teacher, though, proved over and over again that he valued us as people instead of thinking of us as stupid children. He was more than cool. He was my very first experience of an adult actually taking me seriously.

Another time, we were reading a play in class, and each of us had parts to read. We were happily reading away, and my character swears with deity profanity, which I've never said in my life (still) and have no intention of ever saying. Instead of saying my bit, I said, "I can't say that." A couple of other students said something along the lines of, "It's just a word. Say it already!" Whereas Cool Teacher said, "No, if she doesn't feel comfortable, that's fine." And then he said the swear and it moved on. He was supportive of differences in morality and never ragged me on it. He actually made the learning environment very safe for me, which was an interesting experience.

Actually, one time, I think I must have been talking during class or something, and he yelled at me and called me a name. It upset me, so I left the class. The next day, I went to class, expecting to get yelled at again, but instead, he publicly apologized for what he said the day before and said, "It was completely inappropriate and I should never have said that. I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?" Of course I did. He wasn't perfect, and he made mistakes, but he was very mature about facing up to them and dealing with them appropriately.

He was also a most excellent English teacher. I love that man. My first published novel will be dedicated to him. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 03:43 am

The only movie I remember walking out of was when I was a teenager watching Vanishing Point. There is a scene where a girl rides a motorcycle naked. When that scene came on, I walked out of the theater.

Not because of the naked girl; that was why I chose that particular movie to go to in the first place. No, it was because the movie theater was packed (do you older folks remember those days?) and the guy sitting next to me (someone I didn't know) started stroking my thigh.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 05:06 am

:shock:
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 07:19 am

ditto :shock:

The Don

Postby The Don » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 04:00 pm

Maybe he just wanted to be friends.
I like traffic lights.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 04:27 am

quidscribis wrote::shock:

I'm pretty sure that was the look on my face.

Maybe it was intended to be a joke, but my teenage mind couldn't process that in the early 1970s. :?
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 04:37 am

Oh, good heavens, no. I'd be just as shocked. Well, no, but at least just as squicked. And as gone.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Return to “Religion”