How many kids should Mormons have?

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

How many kids must Mormons have?

Poll ended at Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:32 am

There has never been a rule about that.
85%
No votes
5%
10%

Total votes: 20

whea-wix

How many kids should Mormons have?

Postby whea-wix » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:32 am

I work with a curmudgeon who is an "expert" on everything under the sun. Even stuff he knows nothing about. Yesterday, he claimed that in ye olde days, Mormons had a rule about how many children they were suppose to have. A fixed number. I said that was not true, but he disagreed. Why should I (a long time member) know when he (never a member) is sure?! Please tell me if there ever was such a rule and various opinions on the subject.
Nothing against it; I've just never got in the habit, like racquetball or methamphetamines. ~The Know-it-All

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 02:05 pm

How many children should a couple have? All they can care for! Of course, to care for children means more than simply giving them life. Children must be loved, nurtured, taught, fed, clothed, housed, and well started in their capacities to be good parents themselves. Exercising faith in God
[url=http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/]http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/[/url]

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 03:23 pm

Why should I (a long time member) know when he (never a member) is sure?!
Because long time members are often unaware of some of the goofier statements made by past leaders, while many non members are aware of ONLY such statements.

But in this case, I think you are right.
goto 10

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 07:44 pm

Matt! Nice to hear from you!

Card

Postby Card » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 10:05 pm

The only "rule" I've ever heard is "multiply and replenish the earth."

I'm assuming I'm not required to have billions of children. Especially in the single state in which I exist. And the older I get, the fewer children I'll probably have. If there's a punchcard with number of children that we were supposed to fill out to enter the kingdom, then I think I missed getting that card.

But I could see someone at some point perhaps giving a suggestion and having that misconstrued as a rule. Things like that happen.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 10:37 pm

It would have been kind of pointless to pick a number that each family must have, given the differences in pregnancies and age at marriage and all those other things that are totally out of our control. And yeah, Whea, that really annoys me, too, when someone who is not a member tells me what I believe. I agree with Matt as to the reason, but it still makes me mad.

Especially curmudgeons.

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 12:00 am

Momma Snider wrote:Matt! Nice to hear from you!
(Waves at Momma)
goto 10

ImAdhis

Re: How many kids should Mormons have?

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 12:13 pm

It's just not worth getting into discussions with those kinds of people. You could have a hand-written and notarized letter from President Monson and President Brigham Young themselves stating there is and has never been any such rule and the guy will tell you the truth is being swept under the rug.

If he brings up that stupid topic again (it really IS a stupid point to argue if there is an absolute need to argue), just tell him "It turns out you were right! The answer is 63! This means I don't have time to waste talking with you anymore."
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 08:14 pm

In 1917, George F. Richards said in Relief Society Magazine:

My wife has borne to me fifteen children. Anything short of this would have been less than her duty and privilege.

I guess I could see how someone might misconstrue this as a general requirement for all members, but it would be a stretch.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 08:41 pm

Everyone knows the correct answer is 9.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 08:55 pm

Ishmael wrote:In 1917, George F. Richards said in Relief Society Magazine:

My wife has borne to me fifteen children. Anything short of this would have been less than her duty and privilege.

I guess I could see how someone might misconstrue this as a general requirement for all members, but it would be a stretch.

Ha ha! "Stretch"!

whea-wix

Postby whea-wix » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 10:08 am

It's just not worth getting into discussions with those kinds of people.

I can't avoid him entirely. I am his direct supervisor, and we share a department work room/lunch area. I usually just endure his long winded tirades.
Nothing against it; I've just never got in the habit, like racquetball or methamphetamines. ~The Know-it-All

Return to “Religion”