General Conference

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

KareNin

General Conference

Postby KareNin » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 08:33 am

I wasn't able to go over to our meetinghouse and watch Conference last weekend (and we don't get it on our local cable package, nor do we have satellite TV).

Until the Ensign arrives and I can read it for myself, is there anything particularly notable that was addressed? (Other than the obvious in regard to the passing of Pres. Hinckley, sustaining the new First Presidency and everything associated with that.)

In particular, I was wondering if there was much said about food storage, etc.?

Aren't the Conference talks available online? I've never tried to find them there, but I guess I've never needed to before this.

Sigh.

Sorry I'm so clueless.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 08:55 am

http://www.lds.org/conference-info/0,21 ... -1,00.html

The above site lists when archives of GC are available on the web. For example, video is available now at the BYUTV website, and transcripts will be online on Thursday.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 09:02 am

Aaah. Thanks, Ishmael. 'Preciate it.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 05:12 pm

To me the most notable talks were both of President Monson's, at the end of each of the Sunday sessions. And I hope you can see the video, rather than just reading the talks, because his delivery was different than it's been before. He just seemed more serious or something, which would be understandable, for sure. Both talks really touched me.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 05:58 pm

Momma Snider wrote:To me the most notable talks were both of President Monson's, at the end of each of the Sunday sessions. And I hope you can see the video, rather than just reading the talks, because his delivery was different than it's been before. He just seemed more serious or something, which would be understandable, for sure. Both talks really touched me.

I agree. He seemed very prophetic at the end of the Sunday morning session, and very reflective at the end of the afternoon session. His wife could have been in a coma when Pres. Hinckley passed away. That might have been the reason for his distraction at our televised stake conference in January.

There were a few other talks that stood out, one in particular was about sexual abuse and another about motherhood. I had a little trouble concentrating as we were getting ready for our trip to Minnesota, where we now are.

Food storage didn't jump out at me this time.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

treen

Postby treen » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 09:57 pm

I didn't get any new or different feeling from President Monson, but oddly enough, I did with President Uchtdorf. When he was conducting the Solemn Assembly sustainings, he seemed more ... authoritative than before. I don't know if that's the word I want, but hopefully you get the idea.

I enjoyed all of Conference, but the Sunday afternoon session got through to me the most. Elder Bednar's talk about making prayer more meaningful was a solid kick in the butt for me. And like most moms I know, I loved Elder Ballard's talk about appreciating mothers.

Card

Postby Card » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:03 pm

If you watch the Sunday afternoon session archive on the lds.org website, about 11 minutes in, there is a shot of former President Clinton and President Bush standing next to each other singing in the choir.

At least it sort of looks like them. :D

AdamOndi

Re: General Conference

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:10 am

KareNin wrote:Until the Ensign arrives and I can read it for myself, is there anything particularly notable that was addressed?

You mean besides when the date of the Second Coming was announced? No, nothing particularly notable.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 02:45 pm

And the call to move to Missouri.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Card

Postby Card » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:47 pm

Karenins_SuperSon wrote:And the call to move to Missouri.

And for some reason we all have to walk there.

The Don

Postby The Don » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:53 pm

Aint' no thang'. That's just a short walk from Ohio.
I like traffic lights.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:37 pm

It was one of those conferences where there wasn't any remarkably memorable "Tender Mercies" like talk or watching Elder Wirthlin almost fall over (he sat down this time). Everyone received something different from it and liked different parts of it. I liked Elder Lund's talk, Elder Bednar's and Pres. Monson's last talk. I read some of priesthood and Elder Uchtdorf is so funny. It was neat to see a solemn assembly.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 11:09 am

We haven't mentioned conference, at least on this thread, in quite a while. I saw a few people discussing it on Facebook, though. I just think the Sunday afternoon session was the best I've ever heard, and Elder Scott's talk was the best talk ever given by anyone, although I'm quite sure my memory has failed me about some of the other great talks I've heard in my long life.

The thing about Elder Scott is, you go into it expecting that his eyes are going to pierce your soul as he lovingly lists your sins, one by one, and sincerely begs you to repent. This time I just felt the sincerety and love, without the pangs of guilt.

His wife died in 1995, and he's still speaking of her as if it was recent. I'm so happy for eternal families!

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:39 am

Momma, I loved Elder Scott's talk too.

We were watching conference with some other couples we're friendly with, and that talk made my one friend cry, and you could tell it wasn't the "this is so spiritual" cry, it was more like an "I want my marriage to be like he is describing" cry, and her husband just sat there on the floor playing cards (rather loudly) with another husband and ignoring her. So I went over and sat by her and put my arm around her and offered her a kleenex. I felt so awful! Dude, that really would have been a good time to perk up and PAY ATTENTION.

Elder Scott's talk combined with what I saw my friend going through really made me realize that if I want my marriage to be eternal, I have to treat it with a celestial level of care and kindness NOW.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 01:08 pm

My wife didn't watch any of Sunday conference but I talked her into watching Elder Scott's talk. She pointed out that he didn't really quote any scripture or offer anything new, but still provided a really strong message.
WiseNLucky

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:42 am

This isn't all that inspirational, so perhaps this says something about me.

but!...

At the very end of the very last session they kinda zoomed out and showed the entire conference center from the back of the room, so you could see a lot of the audience but the view was still looking at the stand, the organ pipes, and so forth.

There was a 16-18 year old kid in the way, you could see the back of his head. Suddenly, he turned around with a big goofy grin on his face and looked directly into the camera. Funniest thing ever. They quickly switched to another camera. I wonder if he saw himself on the big screens, so he turned around and smiled.

Did anyone else see that? I'm pretty sure I have it taped, I'll have to find it and post it somehow.

Like I said, not very inspirational, but it made my day. My wife couldn't stop laughing.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 10:28 am

I did see it, and I laughed.

Card

Postby Card » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:51 am

Was it this?

My coworker e-mailed me a demotivational poster made from this guy that said "Mormons - and the bretheren wonder why there are so many single men."

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:06 pm

Yes Card, that was it. Funny. Thanks for the link!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:42 pm

He is actually older than that and not a weird guy at all. LDS Friends interviewed him here:

http://www.ldsfriends.com/interviewing- ... onference/
WiseNLucky

Return to “Religion”