General Conference

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

EthanBeckstead

Re: General Conference

Postby EthanBeckstead » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:06 pm

Yeah, I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed it:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15252123

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 03:29 pm

I love General Conference weekend! And it's NOT just because I don't have to put on a dress and go to church. I love the Saturday morning session especially, and this will be the first year since 2007 that we will just sit and watch it alone, without the YSA ward there with us. I liked having them around, but I always had to make breakfast and then they would hang around between sessions, so it felt weird to take a nap.

Now Joy is living at home for a while, and she doesn't like cinnamon, so I won't make monkey bread, but I'm thinking I'll try the same thing only with just brown sugar and butter.

But no matter what else, I do love listening to the talks. I must be growing up!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 27 Sep, 2011 03:31 pm

Also, a fun game to play is listen for Joy's name, and see how many different words they pair with it. Like joy and sorrow, joy and peace, joy and whatever. We always change it to Joy and Laura.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 09:03 am

We're going to go up to Dallas for Conference weekend to visit Lisa's 1st cousin, once removed (I think that's the correct term for her dad's cousin, right?). I don't know if we will be there in time to listen to the Saturday Morning session, though. It's a long drive, and we have to leave early Saturday morning to do it.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:13 am

If you get cell service you might be able to stream it to your iphone.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:45 am

I'm going to a huge community yard sale up the hill from me Saturday morning, but I'll probably be home in time for conference. And if I'm not, Mr. DVR will save it for me and I'll watch it while Rocky goes to the Priesthood session.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 30 Sep, 2011 02:23 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:If you get cell service you might be able to stream it to your iphone.

Nah. That would kill my monthly data cap in no time flat. If we miss anything, we'll just go to lds.org and stream the archived video there.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 09:23 am

So has anyone thought about or heard any discussion about Boyd K. Packer's talk, the part where he told young people that while they may be worried that the end of the world will come before they get where they need to be, it's not so? He told them they have time to have their families and have grandchildren and even great-grandchildren, some of them.

I took it NOT to mean that the Second Coming is at least 60 years away, because I don't want to think that. (I want it tomorrow, personally.) But I saw that the Salt Lake Tribune had a headline that Elder Packer said "The end is not near."

I think he meant that the world is not going to blow up or something, life will continue on, so we need to keep working towards our goals and not worry about it ending. I think maybe he wasn't even referring to the Millennium. I really think that even if he has an idea one way or another, it would not be good form to say it's not coming soon. So I don't think that's what he meant.

Did anyone else have any reaction to that?

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 10:15 am

Mom, I understood it the same way you did. In my mind, he was warning against the sort of complacency that can come from expecting the end to come soon. "Why pay off my debt? The Millennium is almost here." "Why should we recycle? The earth is totally gonna receive its paradisiacal glory soon." "I don't need to teach my kids how to resist temptation, because the Second Coming will happen before they reach the age of accountability anyway."
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 11:58 am

My in-laws are a perfect example of that notion. They have never saved for retirement because they thought they wouldn't need to. My father-in-law just turned 60 and they limp along paycheck to paycheck with no real hope for a comfortable retirement.

I also felt that was the gist of his thoughts Momma. I think that the warning was that we should not put off living a full life because of fear of "the End". We don't even know what "The End" will be like. There will still be living and working.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 12:12 pm

I haven't had a chance yet to see what the Salt Lake Tribune is saying now, but that headline yesterday afternoon really bothered me.

Iamroch, do your in-laws think the Millennium will mean they don't need money, or do they think the world is just going to end when we blow each other up? My mom had a cousin who went into huge amounts of debt back in the 60s (bought a house paying interest only, I think) because he was sure there would be a nuclear holocaust before it came due.

I figure we'll still need income, even in the Millennium, so even if I knew it was imminent, I'd keep saving.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 01:41 pm

It seems like there have been a few talks in the past dealing with how we should still plan and still plant trees, even if they take a long time to mature. I think President Hinckley even said that the tree that the pulpit was made of would at some time get old and need to be replaced. So, ... yeah, I'm pretty sure we're not just supposed to stop what we're doing and wait. There's still a lot of work to do, and that's just laziness.

Stupid headlines.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 03:53 pm

Stupid headline, agreed. But for people who get their spiritual nourishment and insight solely from headlines in the Salt Lake Tribune, it's probably a closer summation than the opposite, which nonbelievers just tend to make fun of and completely dismiss.

I don't know, I think maybe my husband has, for the past 38 years that I've known him, anyway, had a little bit of the same kind of attitude as iamroch's in-laws. Regrettably. Unfortunately, one of the mistakes that we made early in our marriage was assuming that he would be a better manager of family finances than I would be, so I never questioned whether we were on solid financial ground all those years. That was HIS area of expertise (I know, I know! Lesson learned.) When we were separated for about 18 months several years ago, I found out that we were not on solid ground, and in fact, it was worse than I want to even think about right now. But he's probably roughly the same age as iamroch's in-laws, so maybe that erroneous (or "misinterpreted," rather) "live as if the Millenium is right around the corner, and don't worry about preparing for the future" train of thought is partly responsible for the fact that there are so many people of retirement age who are struggling. Or maybe not.

It reminds me of that old slogan I saw a long time ago, "If I'd have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!"
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Tue 04 Oct, 2011 04:53 pm

I don't know exactly what thire thoughts were. He just one time mentioned that they thought the Second Coming would occur before they retired. It's been pretty prevalent throughout their lives to not really project long term results from their decisions.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-------------

The Mrs.' blog

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 04 Oct, 2011 05:34 pm

iamroch wrote:I don't know exactly what thire thoughts were. He just one time mentioned that they thought the Second Coming would occur before they retired. It's been pretty prevalent throughout their lives to not really project long term results from their decisions.

Just an opinion, but it sounds more like a rationalization of not being more proactive than a reason to not do something. But I'm not them and shouldn't speak for them...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 27 Feb, 2012 04:49 pm

I'm so excited to think that General Conference is only 4 1/2 weeks away! I still find it odd, since as child I would not have been so happy, but now I'm much better at watching TV in my jammies than getting dressed and going to a large crowd of people. Mostly I'm much better at listening and feeling the Spirit than I used to be, though. I like that!

We will arrive home from Hawaii the morning of the 31st, after flying all night, so maybe we'll have to catch the morning session later, though.

Don't know why I'm bringing it up now, except that I'm looking for stuff to talk about.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 11:21 am

I too am looking forward to it. I reread a talk from last conference the other night, and realized all of the good stuff that a single listen doesn't allow us to retain.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 02:46 pm

I'm listening to Conference right now. My spirit has been so THIRSTY for this weekend!

I appreciate Elder Holland's call to men: Brethren, step up!
In my counseling, I work primarily with women and it pains me to see how many LDS men are letting their hearts and loyalties slack. Like Jacob mentioned in the Book of Mormon, they are breaking the hearts of their wives and losing the confidence of their children.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 09:45 am

Adhis, I wonder how many of the men who NEED that message the most (who were listening--a big feat in itself on a sunny Saturday!) even picked up on Elder Holland's meaning?

You know, it constantly amazes me how perceptive and wise you are, sweet Adhis. I know it helps to have a husband like David on your team, to help buffer the negative times, and to always "be on the same page" in regard to finances, childrearing, social interactions, etc. You are very blessed to have a strong Priesthood leader in your home (even though it's rough when he's away on business). But you, all by yourself, have developed such a resilience and pure, unfettered outlook on the trials we face in this life. I value your balanced perspective on all topics, and appreciate your friendship.

(Also, I hope you can forgive me for the times I let my fingers type things without knowing what I'm talking about. ♥)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 07:57 pm

KareNin wrote:Adhis, I wonder how many of the men who NEED that message the most (who were listening--a big feat in itself on a sunny Saturday!) even picked up on Elder Holland's meaning?

Be assured I will be quoting or paraphrasing lots of Conference messages in the coming months, so even non-members will be hearing them. :)

KareNin wrote:(Also, I hope you can forgive me for the times I let my fingers type things without knowing what I'm talking about. ♥)

(Of course. Always. ♥)
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Return to “Religion”