Religion and Precision

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 May, 2008 07:16 pm

Huh. You guessed it!
Last edited by Momma Snider on Mon 19 May, 2008 05:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Tue 13 May, 2008 09:48 pm

That guy?
Yeah, and he's the same guy who was the pianist for the choir the year the Bishopric had a funny bone and called me to be the choir director! I, who have no musical training whatsoever, didn't know how to lead anything but 4/4 time, and couldn't even sing in the choir unless your mother was singing in my right ear and my daughter was singing in my left ear.

The choir had been working on a complicated version of "All creatures of our God and King" for Thanksgiving. Never mind that it was complicated and had the altos and the sopranos and the tenors all coming in at different times near the end - the thing was in 3/2 time!!!! For the life of me I couldn't get it right, so I asked mr. sunglasses on his head to play and record the song for me so I could practice at home to hopefully not look too stupid when standing before the choir each week. No matter how much I practiced and got it at home, I would mess up at choir practice - until he told me to quit taking his recording so literally - it was just a rough copy and probably not the same way he played it at church!

It has been three YEARS since I moved from the ward and got out of that calling and I can still feel the anxiety and fury I felt towards that man. I swear he was trying to sabotage me. I finally had to tell the choir that although I was sure they could sing it, I just couldn't lead it and we did the song straight from the hymnal. (with Momma Snider very gently beating the time with her finger for me to follow when I would get lost)

Grrrr!!! I can't believe he is still there doing that. Isn't it time for him to move on to something else?
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Thu 15 May, 2008 05:14 pm

I also get the slime vibe from him.

I like his wife, though.

They're not the only couple in our ward where I think the husband is slimey, but I like his wife.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 17 May, 2008 12:07 pm

Ohhhh man. The Slime Vibe. That could be a whole separate thread in the Religion Forum. Is it a requirement from Church Headquarters that every ward and branch in the wholentire WORLD have at least one guy who gives off the Slime Vibe?

<<<shudder>>>
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 17 May, 2008 01:05 pm

Actually, the true Slime Vibe Guy in our ward is Uncle Paul.

Brother Organist is a good-hearted guy, but boy, does he march to a different drummer! Or organist.

A few weeks ago, Chris broke his front tooth, and Brother O, who is a traveling dentist (goes to hospitals and nursing homes and such) had him come over and sit at the kitchen table and made him a new crown for it for $110. And when a relative of mine punched his son in the mouth during Sunday School, he was very forgiving and nice about it. So I don't want to give anyone the impression he's a bad guy, just incredibly undependable and odd. I think he wasn't so much deliberately sabotaging RenLass (although that's the impression it left) as just totally unaware that some people aren't on his wavelength.

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Sat 17 May, 2008 07:13 pm

I know four dentists very well and they are all odd in different ways. One dentist is in my ward, and the other 3 I am related to by marriage. Maybe dental school does it? Or maybe it's a coincidence. ;)

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Sat 17 May, 2008 07:38 pm

yes, momma, he is good hearted and very talented in other ways as well. We had them over for dinner a few times and enjoyed thier company each time, but put him behind a piano and watch out! Dr Jekel becomes Mr. Hyde.

Zesdy I MISS you! Where are you? Isn't it time for another trip to Texas? :wink:
When the devil reminds you of your past,

remind him of his future

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Sat 17 May, 2008 08:06 pm

stephsterr wrote:I know four dentists very well and they are all odd in different ways. One dentist is in my ward, and the other 3 I am related to by marriage. Maybe dental school does it? Or maybe it's a coincidence. ;)

In my experience, dentists are odd to begin with. My brother is a dentist and he was odd before he went into dentistry. He had imaginary friends as a child, saw imaginary water buffalo, and made weird noises all the time.

Now he gets funny ideas like "wearing ascots is cool" and "wearing orange jumpsuits is cool" and "I believe I want to buy an ostrich."

steelem

Postby steelem » Sat 17 May, 2008 08:37 pm

Ostriches freak me out.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 19 May, 2008 11:13 am

I had imaginary friends when I was a child.

Maybe I should have gone to dental school.

Also, just because you can't see something someone else sees doesn't mean it's not real.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Mon 19 May, 2008 01:04 pm

He's the first odd dentist that I know. I guess my experiences with dentists are an oddity. Of course there was that one dentist, when I was a child, that gave all his patients laughing gas, as a protocol, prior to any dental procedure. I loved that guy. :)

Yes, it is true Bro. Organ Man helps out many with dental issues, is a genius behind the black-and-white keys, and (from what I understand from those who are involved in dance festival) he knows how to shake it too... but I have an advert-ion to where his eyes wander. And, I can't deny that gut feeling. I may be totally wrong about him, nevertheless the times I have denied the gut are the times I most regret. I just wish I could deny the stomach more often.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 19 May, 2008 01:23 pm

Let's just remember that this is a public forum, so everything you say here could be read by anyone in the world, including those people you are talking about. And on a possibly related note, remember that you can go to any of your posts and click on the Edit button and remove anything you might have posted that, in retrospect, you think maybe you shouldn't have.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 19 May, 2008 02:41 pm

But... I really DID have imaginary friends, Petey and Judy! Ask anyone! :cry:

Seriously... good point, Jeff.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 19 May, 2008 09:46 pm

I always wanted an imaginary friend, and I used to feel cheated that I could never get one. It's like I didn't realize I had to make one up myself; I just waited for one to appear.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 20 May, 2008 10:30 am

Well, Petey and Judy just appeared and we started playing one day. They hung around and were with me every day for quite a while, and they stuck by me for months, all the time my mother was nervously telling me that they were all in my head and didn't exist.

I remember how disappointed they were when I finally told them I couldn't play with them anymore because my mom said they weren't real.

I don't remember asking them to appear or anything. They were just THERE one day, and they introduced themselves and we began playing. We had a great time for months, until Mom spoiled everything.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 20 May, 2008 12:20 pm

Awww.... that is sad. Won't it be interesting if one day we learn that Petey and Judy were playmates in a parallel plane?

Stupid adults ruining everything.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 20 May, 2008 12:45 pm

I used to talk to a spider that lived in my bedroom until one day, my mother discovered it was a black widow and killed it.

(Lest you think I am crazy, the spider never talked back. We had one-sided conversations while I sat on my bed and she hung out in the corner.)
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 20 May, 2008 02:33 pm

That makes perfect sense to me, InO. Of course, I was enthralled with "Charlotte's Web" when Mrs. Fell read a chapter to us every day in second grade. I even cried--sobbed, even--when Charlotte died.

I was a strange little kid. Very emotional. Good thing I grew out of that!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Return to “Religion”