And now, for something completely different (religiously)...

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

RenLass

And now, for something completely different (religiously)...

Postby RenLass » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 12:31 am

As on the main forum, sometimes I want to say things that don't fit into any existing thread, but don't deserve a thread of their own either, and are related to church or gospel, so can't be on the main forum. So here is the place for all your random religious thoughts, ideas, and topics.

Your Welcome!
:D
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 12:33 am

Today we had a concert from the Utah Valley Childrens choir. We were the last stop on their tour.

They were AWESOME! I was so disappointed when they said the closing prayer. It was like "Is that all? I need more!"

remind him of his future

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 05:43 pm

Great idea!

I didn't really want to put this in the Inappropriate thread, because hopefully it won't be...

Rocky was called to be the bishop of the local Singles Ward and sustained yesterday. I am so excited! I can hardly wait until I get the whole ward calling me Momma Snider. Because I'm their mom now!

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 06:10 pm

What an awesome calling and responsibility. Enjoy!

I have great memories of my singles ward bishop. He and is wife were family counselors by profession and were so awesome with all of us.
He also predicted that if I served a mission, it would be to Italy, it was and he was one of the first who got a phone call when I received my call.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 09:47 pm

Momma, you're going to be an awesome ward mom! I can just picture all the FHE activities you'll be having soon - so fun!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:39 am

And the treats!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:30 am

Momma Snider wrote:Great idea!

I didn't really want to put this in the Inappropriate thread, because hopefully it won't be...

Rocky was called to be the bishop of the local Singles Ward and sustained yesterday. I am so excited! I can hardly wait until I get the whole ward calling me Momma Snider. Because I'm their mom now!

Sounds like a lot of fun. I know I always really liked the wives of the various branch presidency members in my singles' branch. I am sure the kiddies will take to calling you Momma Snider very quickly and easily. Especially if you bribe them with some The Brownies.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Penelope

Postby Penelope » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:29 am

Wow, Momma Snider! Those ward members are lucky to have you--let The Brownies fest begin!

This is the best idea for an LDS youth conference ever: http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700233421,00.html?pg=1

Those kids will remember that experience for the rest of their lives.
"When I grow up I want to have nose hairs just like you and Daddy!" Laura, age 3

steelem

Postby steelem » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:51 am

That is awesome. That would have been SO MUCH FUN. I love that idea so much more than the pioneer treks--I love the big ol' service projects.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:10 am

How lucky that singles ward is! I only feel sorry for the Bishop who will one day follow. There are few Bishops as good as Rocky can be! Have fun Momma.

remind him of his future

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:21 am

Our YM President knew that we were planning on painting our house this summer and he offered to have the youth do it. As fun as that would have been when I was a youth, as a homeowner it makes me nervous. What is a super fun activity for the youth has a huge potential to be a major cleanup project for us. Am I being silly?
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:47 pm

Not silly at all, it is YOUR home. I can see why it might seem like their service would be your clean-up, but I think I would voice these concerns to the leaders.

If all is mapped out and you know someone who really knows what they are doing in in charge, I say go for it.

My children had the chance to be a part of something one year in WI. For Youth Conference that year each youth was paired up with a child whose parents were spending time that week at the annual Spina Bifida Conference. So while the parents were in classes and having some time to be adults, our youth did activities and played games etc... with the kids. Our youth stayed in the dorms at the Fairgrounds and had dances and evening activities. It was amazing to see what some of the special needs kids could do and teach the youth. Some great friendships were formed. This took about a year of planning and was great. I was privileged to be a chaperone that week.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 11 Jun, 2008 05:50 am

Mrs. Goofy Gordon wrote:Not silly at all, it is YOUR home. I can see why it might seem like their service would be your clean-up, but I think I would voice these concerns to the leaders.

If all is mapped out and you know someone who really knows what they are doing in in charge, I say go for it.

I agree. One of my greatest youth memories is helping a family replace their roof. They had a professional roofer in the family supervise and he very carefully made sure nothing we did would make the roof leak, while letting us all do some of everything. We all had strong backs and desire to do good, and we proudly drove by the house with our friends for years afterward to brag on the good work we had done.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:30 pm

I helped roof multiple houses as a Boy Scout, and our attempts always looked clumsy, uneven and amateurish. The professional roofers we had helping us made sure the roofs didn't leak, but the presence of professionals couldn't keep us from being incompetent. I'm sure house-painting is rife with even worse eyesore-creating possibilities. In other words, no, InO, you are not being silly. Tell them to go downtown and paint over graffiti instead.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jun, 2008 09:04 pm

pizzocalabro wrote:I helped roof multiple houses as a Boy Scout, and our attempts always looked clumsy, uneven and amateurish. The professional roofers we had helping us made sure the roofs didn't leak, but the presence of professionals couldn't keep us from being incompetent. I'm sure house-painting is rife with even worse eyesore-creating possibilities. In other words, no, InO, you are not being silly. Tell them to go downtown and paint over graffiti instead.

We had our house in Simi Valley re-roofed by some elders and high priests, as some sort of service project (we paid for the materials but the labor was donated), with a roofing guy heading up the work crew. It looked pretty good when they were done!

We were very happy with the results. Until a few years later, when it began leaking in several places all over again. And when we sold the house two years ago, and there was some sort of building-code Red Flag On the Play that held things up until it was resolved. Maybe if the youth had done it, it would have been okay. Har.

When I got my house here in Ohio painted, I paid my painting crew in Actual Cash Money, so we acquired all OUR amateurish mistakes, drips and spatters and other eyesores and cleanup problems, all included with the vast amount of money we paid them, at no extra charge. So, you know, sometimes you're gonna get less-than-perfect quality on a job even if you hire a professional crew to do it.

Painting an entire house is a biiiiiiiiig and expensive job. I say, if you can exert some reasonable control over the project, and if you're not a total perfectionist, getting it done as a service project may actually turn out all right. Once it's all done, minor goofs and cleanups aren't readily apparent, anyhow.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 12:09 pm

Snagged this off a friend's blog.
("Snagged" because "stole" is not the word to use in this thread. Unless I'm referring to a woman's shoulder scarf of fur or silk. But I'm not. That kind of reference to women's fashion accessories is best left to be used by uber-cool people like Petullant.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_ibxy270Q
www.NewMoneyMama.com

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:14 pm

My son is turning 12 soon... and well... it's a pretty important age to reach in church... therefore I want to buy him a nice outfit for church... and I don't know where to start. He's not the tie sort of guy. Any suggestions as to where I should look/shop?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:22 pm

Well, even if he's not a tie kind of guy, he needs to wear a white shirt and tie. He'll get used to it when he sees how sharp he looks! (I know, we've had this discussion here before about whether he can be "required" to wear a white shirt or not, but in fact I think we all agreed that the wording was "if possible" -- and it almost always is.) What if you get him the shirt and let him pick out the tie? I don't know where, though. We always bought all our kids' clothes at WalMart or even KMart, back in the day. Now it's Kohl's.

I can hardly believe he's going to be 12, though! I hope he stays as sweet as he's always been, and I suspect he will.

But don't tell him I called him sweet.

The Don

Postby The Don » Wed 11 Feb, 2009 08:31 am

If he's going to pass the sacrament then he needs a white shirt and tie.
I like traffic lights.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:47 am

~Zesdy~, check out these classic gaming ties you can get from Amazon. (Of course you want to go click on one of Eric's links to Amazon first so he gets a kickback, right? Right. :D I love the Asteroids one, it's kind of subtle, some of the old fogeys might not even realize what it is. There's also some interesting ones on ThinkGeek. Again, gaming/geeky typs things like repeating atoms or space invaders.

You guys said white shirt and tie, you didn't say the tie had to be some stuffy, boring tie!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Religion”