And now, for something completely different (religiously)...

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: And now, for something completely different (religiously

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 02:57 pm

The dinner with the temple presidency went very well. I didn't embarrass myself at all, but I might have embarrassed my husband when I turned the dessert plate over (AFTER the cake was all gone!) to see what the name of the china pattern is. It is BEAUTIFUL. It's called GreenBriar, and it's by Noritake or something like that. I don't know china from plastic, most of the time, but this stuff is so beautiful. I'd link it, but it's blocked from my work internet.

I told President Finnegan that he had scared me in his talk at the women's conference. He laughed at me, in the kindest possible way.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 08:00 pm

Here it is. http://www.replacements.com/webquote/N__GREENBRI.htm

It's an old one, huh? 1967-71.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 08:25 pm

No, that's not it, even though it looks like the links are the same. Is that weird? I don't know. But look at this!
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/images.htm
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/N__GREENBRIER.htm

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:21 pm

Oh my heck, that's ever so much prettier than the one I posted. Yep, that is lovely! So weird that that other pattern came up when I searched for it. Mister Google let us down.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:16 am

It is so beautiful it makes me swoon. And it doesn't hurt that I first saw it in the temple, so I know it's a True China Pattern. (I'm poking fun at myself, but I do think that way sometimes.)

I even went so far as to look for corner hutches online last night, and was mentally trying to rearrange my living-dining room area to make room for a regular one. Or I might just order a plate or two and hang them on the wall. I don't even want the cups and saucers and stuff anyway, I just want to see that pattern often.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 19 Mar, 2012 11:06 am

I hear more stake news during Rocky's and my morning prayer than he ever tells me directly! Last week I learned that the father of one of our YSAs had died a few weeks before when Rocky prayed for his family, and this morning I learned that our former stake president is back in the hospital. He has multiple myeloma, and has been doing very well for several months, but he has taken a bad turn. Couple prayers are good for a lot of reasons!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 12:59 pm

My favorite Easter quote, from a great talk yesterday: Christmas is Jesus' birthday, but Easter is EVERYONE's birthday.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:33 pm

I have been thinking for quite a while that I wanted to make brownies for the 12- and 13-year-old Sunday School classes, because I taught so many of them in Primary before we went to the singles ward. Today I did it. I was standing outside the classroom doors, waiting for the teachers to get there so there would be some control, and then my son Chris, who is the SS secretary, came up and said neither of the teachers had shown up.

WHAT TO DO TEACHERS THINK HAPPENS WHEN THEY JUST DON'T SHOW UP? This bothers me so much! It's a teacher's responsibility to get a sub, or at the very least let someone know they're not coming. And this apparently happens all the time. It just floors me.

Anyway, I offered to teach one of the classes. Chris didn't even want to let me do it, because some of the boys are so wild, which I remember so very well from Primary, but I figured the brownies would help. I chose the older class, which had been combined with the age 14 class because THEIR teacher wasn't there, but there were still only eight of them, six boys. I went in and told them how happy I was to get to teach them, since all but two had been in my Primary classes. Then the teacher showed up. They all seemed totally sad that I wasn't going to be their teacher, and they all hugged me before I left. Maybe it was just the brownies, but I felt loved.

There still wasn't a teacher for the 12s, so I went in there. There were eight of them, too, and I had taught all but two. I faked a lesson on repentance and the Holy Ghost and receiving inspiration, kind of pulled at random from the GA Smith manual. If I'd had a smart phone, like a normal person, I could have brought up the appropriate lesson online and done it right, but they were perfect, respectful, and quiet. Even the two who are known to be holy terrors. Once again, I felt loved, and I'm so thankful I was inspired to make brownies!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:26 am

Good for you, MommaS! Way to be prepared!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 02:49 pm

I used to teach the 16-18 year old class until about a year ago. Many of the kids are still in the class and the teacher asks me to sub when ever he can't make it. I subbed yesterday and one of the girls when she came in was really happy that I was teaching. She said that it made her whole day. That made me feel really appreciated.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:36 pm

Momma Snider wrote:WHAT TO DO TEACHERS THINK HAPPENS WHEN THEY JUST DON'T SHOW UP? This bothers me so much! It's a teacher's responsibility to get a sub, or at the very least let someone know they're not coming. And this apparently happens all the time. It just floors me.

I teach Gospel Doctrine and almost weekly, my class is interrupted by someone in the Primary asking for people to volunteer to substitute in nursery classes because teachers haven't shown up. This bothers me greatly. What do they think all those 1 and 2 years old are going to do on their own? That is just so weird that they simply don't show up.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:11 am

I would never want to be in a Primary presidency just for this reason. I would be so sorely tempted to get on the phone immediately and ask where they are, which maybe wouldn't be such a bad thing, except that I don't like to make people feel uncomfortable, so I'd feel conflicted. But sometimes I think that's what needs to be done.

Maybe the phone call could just be along the lines of, "Are you on your way?" Which would then have to be followed up with, "...oh...is a sub coming?" and then "okay, we'll have to try to find someone." But that kind of phone calls are not in the job description for Primary or Sunday School presidencies.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 12:58 pm

I taught that class again yesterday, but this time I prepared ahead of time, just in case. Also, when I taught last week off the cuff (only I didn't even have notes on my cuff) I talked about the Holy Ghost, and it turned out that's what the lesson was supposed to be about! I had inspiration!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 12:59 pm

Has anyone seen the video about using family history research to activate people? I think it's new. If you get a chance to see it, watch for the mustache. It's incredible!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 13 May, 2012 08:44 pm

I saw the sweetest thing today when the Primary kids went up to sing. It took them forever to get up there (there were around 150 kids) and one little girl was scared. Her brother made sure she got right up in the front so everyone could see her. Then she started crying during the first song, so he put his arm around her and led her down the steps and over to their mom. It totally made my Mother's Day, and I mentioned it to the mom. She liked it, too.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 30 May, 2012 08:39 pm

I was called in tonight to speak with a member of the bishopric and extended a new calling. For a couple years, I have been teaching Gospel Doctrine (my "dream" calling, if there is such a thing). Last Sunday, the lesson went fantastical, even better than I knew it would be. The entire room was moved and I just knew angels were there. And then, I felt the notion that my time as that teacher would be ending soon. My experience has shown me when I become one with the vibe of a place or a calling, the time comes soon after to move onward and upward.

I am going to miss that calling so much. :/
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 May, 2012 09:05 pm

Be sure to let us know what the new one is after you're sustained! I'm glad you at least get to go out on a high note.

I just got a new calling as Ward Historian. (I'll keep the RS pianist calling, too.) I had this one about 10 years ago, a few months after I was diagnosed with Wegener's, when I was too sick to do much except show up for church. I did a really lousy job. I'd keep notes of what happened, but then no one ever asked for the information, and I just fizzled out. This time there is a specific plan, and I plan to do a good job.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 05:12 pm

I am the primary teacher for a 6yo girl with autism. In our ward, the children with the more severe forms of autism or Down syndrome usually get their own individual teachers or class. I will be with my girl in her regular class but be her teacher that helps keep her focused and minimize the wandering and outbursts.

At first read it may seem silly, but I am most nervous about what kind of clothes to wear to church so I can stay covered and balanced while doing my calling effectively. My husband and I have had past experience with physically active children and my husband tended to handle the wrestling while I handled the communication.

I have not yet met this girl, but so far I am disappointed (angered) by how she has been described by some of the adults who learn I have no idea who she is (not referring to the bishopric or the Primary presidency, they've been great). I know it is easy to label a person without taking the time to see further into their eyes and see their soul, but it bugs me most when it comes to children. It just isn't fair or right to shape a human psyche when it doesn't have the skill or ability to filter garbage and is vulnerable to believing opinions as fact.

Anyhow, I am going to her house tomorrow to meet her and the rest of the family. New adventure... here we go!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 03 Jun, 2012 08:05 pm

Adhis, my daughter Jenn is a veteran (10 years) elementary school teacher in a fully-inclusive Southern California Charter school. A good percentage of the kids there (20-30% on average) have a significant physical, mental, or emotional disability (sometimes all three), while the rest of the children are typically-developing students.

I worked there as a "Paraprofessional" (teacher / student aide) for several months in 2002, until I came back to Ohio to care for my dad, who was dying of cancer. LOVED it. Loved the kids. Loved the whole atmosphere...Anyway.

Many of the children there have autism in varying degrees of severity. I applaud you for getting a bit ticked at the adults who should know better than to identify a child primarily by her disability. I think you will be an excellent advocate and helper for this little girl, and I sincerely believe that you have worked very hard on developing the spiritual ability to feel or sense, innately, how best to communicate and guide this sweet little spirit. I think this was truly an inspired calling.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask Jenn, she is on Facebook as Jenn Stout Hill, or you can email her at stoutyhill @ gmail.com . I'm sure she would be happy to share any information and tips and encouragement she has with you.

My best to you, dear Adhis. Don't be scared. She will love you, and you will love her. And that's the main thing. ~♥~

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm

I was callled to my ward's bishopric yesterday as 2nd counselor. It is a surreal experience, but I am excited about it.

Return to “Religion”