And now, for something completely different (religiously)...

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

SDR

Re: And now, for something completely different (religiously

Postby SDR » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 01:29 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:I was callled to my ward's bishopric yesterday as 2nd counselor. It is a surreal experience, but I am excited about it.

Congratulations & condolences. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 04:48 pm

Awesome~! Lots of blessings!

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 09:09 pm

It was surreal for me too... but I grew into the position. Trust me when I testify of the truth in the saying "He whom God calls, He qualifies." God bless.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 09:47 am

Thanks!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:21 pm

I have to speak in four different wards this summer, along with my husband. Since when does him being in the stake presidency mean I have to step out of my comfort zone? Oh, since the beginning. Anyway, I've done two of them so far. The second was better than the first. The other two will be on the same day, August 19, so hopefully by the time it's over I'll be able to speak without stammering.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 06:32 pm

Hey! I spoke in church, too. Yesterday. Just once though.
The bishopric finally caught on to us having lived in the ward 8 years without having spoken in Sacrament.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:11 pm

Our bishop just called this afternoon to ask me to speak in our own ward Sunday. It's because I've indexed 10,000 names, I guess. He wanted me to speak about temple work and indexing. But #1, I'll be in Utah this weekend, and #2, the stake president and his wife are speaking in our ward this Sunday, part of the rotation that Rocky and I are in. I guess the bishop forgot that. I was able to straighten him out. :)

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:00 am

Hey Mom, want me to talk to my bishop and see if you can speak in our ward this Sunday? (Of course, we have an old man in our ward who has indexed 48,000 names so far this year, so we might need to find you a new topic.)
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:06 am

Well, I've done my 10,000 since May 14, so I could fight him for it. But no, thank you.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:06 am

I have a new calling: Primary 1st Counselor. It came as a total shock. I knew the counselor who asked to see me was over Primary and Sunday School, and I would have been okay teaching a SS class, but I was really not feeling the Primary teacher thing at all, but what else could it be? On the other hand, he asked me to bring my husband, which indicated something more serious. But the presidency never entered my mind until he said it. The president graduated from high school (in Kaysville, Utah) the same year as my YOUNGEST daughter, 2000, and all the others are youngsters, too, and I'm all arthritic and fibromyalgic and stuff. Which I guess they don't know, come to think of it, because I'm always there, meaning I'm dependable, and maybe that's what they needed most. The word "wisdom" has been bandied about, but that just makes me laugh.

My first duty yesterday was to check all the classrooms to make sure they had teachers. One of them didn't. WHAT DO THEY THINK HAPPENS IF THEY JUST DON'T SHOW UP???? I will have to figure out a response that will help. My first inclination is to call them right then and there and ask why they aren't there, but I'm sure that would make them mad and they wouldn't show up the next week, either, just out of spite.

Anyway, it will be a whole new experience for me. I've taught Primary, of course, and I've been the pianist many times, and I've been in the stake Primary presidency a couple of times, but this is new.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:18 am

Congratulations to all those kids who just got one of the most giving and wonderful women to preside over their gospel experience!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:33 am

You'll do a great job, Momma S. My wife was the primary president for a while and one of her biggest frustrations was that every single week there would be at least one teacher who would not show up without saying anything and without getting a substitute. She would often get calls a couple hours before church started from teachers saying they couldn't be there, which was bad enough, but at least they had the courtesy to provide a little bit of notice. They actually called a couple of people to be primary teachers who did not have an assigned class, but would be on hand to fill in for absent teachers. And they tried all kinds of things to get teachers to show up or at least get a substitute. Usually they would call or stop by the teacher's house after church or during the week to say that they "missed them and hoped they are doing okay" and then they would remind them to let one of the presidency know if they couldn't make it and to do their best to get a substitute whenever possible.

So, good luck and stuff.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 12:29 pm

Aw, thanks to both of you!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 23 Oct, 2012 01:28 pm

How fantastic, Momma! And I bet my MIL would completely commiserate with you on the absentee teachers. She was Primary President for years and YEARS and that was one of her biggest pet peeves. So she called The Hub and I to teach primary while we were living with them because at least she knew how to find us. :D

We had some ward boundary changes that landed us in a new ward, and they called me as YW 1st counselor WITHOUT EVEN MEETING ME. I think this is supposed to build my testimony as to the divinity of the work, because otherwise they are just crazy. :D
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:33 pm

Our Primary president didn't know me, either, because we were in the singles ward when they moved in, and the ward is so big, and I sit in the front and she sits in the back with her little kids, and then she rushes off to Primary. I'm sure she knew OF me, what with my husband being in the stake presidency, but I have the impression that she may have resisted the inspiration to call me because I really didn't seem like a logical choice.

That's what makes me cry every time I think about it, the thought that it DID have to be inspiration, and that means the Lord was whispering my actual name, thinking specifically of me at that moment. That's pretty awesome to think about.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm

Yes, it is. I need to quit being so cynical about it all, especially since the prez and I get along very well after only knowing each other for a few hours.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 02:11 pm

What I learned in church today: When we have 8:30 sacrament meeting and I didn't sleep well, do not close eyes for quiet meditation and prayer while the sacrament is being passed.

I didn't actually fall asleep, but things sure looked weird when I opened my eyes again.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 22 Jan, 2013 12:00 pm

I had a really great day Sunday! Partly it feels great because I'm glad it's over, but it really was good while it was happening, too. First, we had really good talks in sacrament meeting, by a good friend of mine who is serving as medical consultant in the California Riverside Mission office. Her topic was "Being a More Christian Christian." It was a great talk all the way around, but at the end she told about an eye problem she had, starting on Christmas Day. She blew some dust out of a glass and it went in her eye. She went to the eye doctor four different times, three doctors (once they got back to work after Christmas) before they finally found the speck and pulled it out. It was an eight-day ordeal. Well, just last week my dear old stepmother, Margrit, had much the same problem. she had heard about Mary's deal, so she called her. Mary took her to the optometrist first, and when he wanted to just give Margrit some cream and send her home, Mary asked him to refer her to the opthamologist, which Margrit wouldn't have thought to do. Mary took her there, and that guy couldn't find it either, so was going to send her home with a prescription, but Mary said, "I just had this same problem for eight days, and they finally found it. Can you please look again?" He did, and found the thing and got it out.

Mary's point in telling the story was that she thinks the reason she suffered the thing in her own eye was so she'd be prepared to help this little old widow. I think that's such a Christlike way of looking at trials. Sometimes they really do prepare us to help someone else.

My sharing time went really well, lots of participation, and five different adults (teachers and a parent who was in there) told me it was good. And then we had our baptism preview that night, and I conducted, gave a talk, and made all the refreshments, and that went really well, too. A double batch of fudge-frosted brownies, five dozen chocolate chip cookies, and a batch of peanut butter Twix bars, and everything was scarfed right up. I was glad to be home when it was all over, but it was a really good day.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 23 Jan, 2013 05:41 pm

Quick, I need suggestions for Sharing Time this week. What I need is situations that have consequences, either good or bad. For example, "you cheat on a test" or "you ask a new girl if she wants to play with you" or "you don't like vegetables but you eat them anyway." I'd like to come up with at least 20 scenarios.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:05 am

Have you seen the Sugar Doodle website? My wife used it frequently when she was in the Primary Presidency. Follow that link and then click on January Week 4. They have great ideas.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Return to “Religion”