And now, for something completely different (religiously)...

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Re: And now, for something completely different (religiously

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 10:20 am

I did go to Sugardoodle, but the only help for Sharing Time I found was what's in the program. I'm doing that to start with, but I have to adapt the suggestions to fit a very large Primary. I can't have them come forward in two lines, for example, or make a circle, because there are too many.

I'm so impressed with Sugardoodle and several other websites where people go to the trouble to come up with ideas and publish them. And Bethy sent me two books with ideas and visual aids and games that are going to be amazingly helpful. I think it's going to be okay!

And the next time I have to do Sharing Time, in April, we'll have General Conference and Stake Conference and one week with the bishop doing it, so I only have to do it once!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 27 Jan, 2013 02:18 pm

Sharing Time went great again, except that we had to really rush. I also had to conduct, because the president was sick. I'm getting a scratchy sore throat, so I got a little hoarse, but it was fine. And I don't have to do Sharing Time again until April, and then it will only be once, because of conferences and the bishop's week!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 05:48 pm

They're splitting our ward next week! That will make 14 wards in the stake, and there's at least one more that needs to be split. They have 170 kids in Primary, which is my unit of measure. Anyway, of course Rocky is in the know about it all, but hasn't so much as dropped a hint, and the only thing he would answer is that we will still be in the Lake Elsinore Ward, the basic unit from which three stakes and probably 30 wards have sprung. (We were the Lake Elsinore Branch until 1973, right after we got married, and the area it covered was pretty rural.) So that's a good thing. One ward or another is going to have to move back to the 1:30 slot, though. If it's us, I will just look on the bright side that next year we can be at 8:30 again. (I don't know why we don't do 9, 11, and 1.)

I haven't even BEGUN to speculate on who the new bishops will be!

Seriously, though, I don't ask him anything, and I know that if I do ask something he shouldn't answer, he won't. But I'll have fun pretending to try to trick him.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 07:52 pm

Last week we had stake conference, where a person talked about the new Family Search which has more social media options. Our whole stake is now calling it Facebook for Dead People after the nickname it gained from that talk..
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 07:33 pm

Ha! That's awesome.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 31 May, 2013 03:02 pm

The stake presidency and wives were invited to have dinner with the temple presidency again this week. I just love our temple president and his wife! We eat in a little round dining room off the main dining room, and they talk about spiritual experiences they've had recently with temple patrons, and it's a nice evening. Previously, I spent half the time coveting the china they have, Greenbriar by Noritake, but since Rocky got it for me for my birthday, I didn't have to covet any more.

We picked up the stake president and his wife on the way and had a lovely visit with them, too. I guess that's one good thing about living over an hour from the temple, we're more inclined to be sociable and carpool. (And I'm not complaining about the "over an hour" part, because I know a lot of people have a much longer drive.) (Although 85% of Church members now live within two hours of a temple. I think that's pretty awesome.)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 04:34 pm

A little boy, about 2 1/2, helped his dad pass the sacrament today. I guess the mom was out feeding the baby. It was adorable. He really just walked around with Daddy during the passing of the bread, but the dad carried him when he passed the water.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 16 Aug, 2013 09:36 am

As part of our ward conferences in the stake this year, the wards have a temple night on Friday and a ward activity on Saturday, and the stake presidency and wives are strongly encouraged to attend. We have 15 wards in the stake, so that's a lot of temple trips and activity/food frenzies. Not complaining about either one. :)

Last Saturday we attended an activity with the ward that was formerly part of our ward, until the split in March or April or whenever it was. I had been told there was a couple there who were being baptized the next day. A few minutes later I saw a lady running towards me whose kids I had enrolled in my school just a few days before. She had actually been telling everyone that the lady at the school was so nice, etc. I almost always am nice, but every time I hear something like that, I'm glad all over again that I was nice. What if I'd been rude or impatient or something, and then she saw me at church?

So I feel good about that.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:19 am

Way to live the doctrine, Momma! Isn't it nice to see how it works out sometimes?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:34 pm

Our stake is being divided next week. Pretty exciting stuff, really. We're assuming Rocky will remain a counselor, since the president will also be in the new stake, but of course they will both have to be called. He may even know that he will be called, but he hasn't told me, so I'm just assuming.

We have two general authorities coming, both area 70s. They'll be here Friday night, and we will be having dinner for them...possibly at my house. I won't know until Wednesday night. It doesn't freak me out nearly as much as it would have previously, but we'll see.

I'm singing in the choir for conference, and also giving the closing prayer. So my big dilemma is that because I'm in the middle, I will have to step up into the middle risen section when we sing. I plan to wear one of my cute pairs of shoes, but they are heels, which will make me tower over the person next to me who doesn't step up. Normally I'd just take off my shoes to sing, but not if I immediately have to give the prayer.

Such problems in my life!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:00 am

I always tower over people (I'm 5'9"). So I'd say that's not a big deal--you'll find a happy medium somehow.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 09:20 am

It's going to look funny anyway, if people are looking for funny, because the girl on the left, who does not step up, is only 4'8". So I'll figure funny is as funny does, and if I don't act funny by saying a barefoot prayer in stake conference, it will be fine. And we're singing an awesome version of "If You Could Hie to Kolob," which was our former stake president's favorite, and he died a year ago of multiple myeloma. So I'll probably be crying while I pray anyway.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:37 pm

I LOVE "If You Could Hie to Kolob"! And maybe you should lend the short sister your shoes until it's time for you to say the prayer....

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 20 Sep, 2013 03:01 pm

This stake division is way exciting for me, having lived in Lake Elsinore all my life. (As did my dad, and his dad, too, but they weren't raised in the Church, like I was.) We had a small branch when I was growing up, sometimes not more than 20 people at church. It covered a very large area, what is now 2 1/2 stakes, about 30 miles from end to end. As of Sunday it will be 3 1/2 stakes. It was one branch until late 1973, right after Rocky and I were married, so 40 years ago, when it was changed to the Lake Elsinore Ward. The first division was in 1981, when it became Lake Elsinore I and II. And in 1993 the building we meet in was finished, and it was built to be a stake center, but we had no idea how long it would take for it to happen.

I know, way more info than any of you needed, but I'm excited!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 20 Sep, 2013 05:00 pm

I can relate, Momma!

When I was growing up, I wasn't even aware of the Church's existence, even though the local Branch met less than a mile down the road from my house, in an old "Parish Hall" previously owned by another church.

In 1976, when Tom and I moved here to stay at my Dad's house for a few months while our house in Reynoldsburg was being finished, the branch had become a Ward, and there were a handful of wards and branches that made up the Columbus Ohio Stake, which was gigantic. I don't know how many square miles it was, but I know it took a couple of hours to drive from one boundary to the opposite one.

Now we have two Stakes in Columbus, the COS and the Columbus South Stake, which we are in. We live in the house I grew up in as a kid, and we have a nice building to meet in, and a temple in Columbus! People who have been in the ward here for a long time say the name of their ward has changed several times through the years, though they have not moved.

I think this growth is tremendously exciting. Last Sunday, September 15, was my 40th "baptiversary," as Misty calls it. When I joined the Church, there were 12 temples in the world.

I am ooooolllllddddd.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sat 21 Sep, 2013 05:26 am

I've mostly lived in areas with rather small church congregations as well, the one exception being Edmon, Alberta with two stakes when I moved there and three when I left. Which, of course, is nothing at all like Utah, but for Canada, it's decent.

I'm happy for you with the membership in your area growing, Momma. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 01:26 pm

Remember the lady who was baptized a couple of months ago, and I was happy that I'd been nice to her when she enrolled her kids? Well, last night we had a special stake meeting for all families, and they talked about being good missionaries, and they called her up to tell about how she had decided to join the Church. There were probably 500 people there, and I was so proud of her! She did an amazing job, didn't sound nervous or anything.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 11:53 am

Last night I spoke at a YW in Excellence in a different ward in the stake. It was on goals, more or less, and it's the third time I've spoken on that topic in the past several years. I always make the point that there's a difference between goals and dreams. There's nothing wrong with having dreams, but if they're not reasonable and realistic and worthwhile, they shouldn't turn into goals. Example: I love to daydream about winning a million dollars. I mentally pay half to taxes, 10% to tithing, and then I start buying used cars for my kids who need them, and so on. And then I always realize that a million isn't enough, and if I'm daydreaming about something that's not going to happen anyway, I might as well go for 5 million.

Anyway, then I always go on to say that real goals may be hard, and that I wouldn't want to discourage them from a goal, even if it's not a goal I would choose. And last night I also said, since I was talking to Young Women, that they shouldn't feel bad if they don't know what they want to be when they grow up just yet, and that you're allowed to change your goals as you grow and learn about more things.

The last time I gave it was when I was teaching an Institute class, and when I was finished, an old guy stood up and contradicted pretty much my main point by saying, "You can be whatever you want to be! Don't let anyone tell you to change your goals!" He went on to say that "they" told him he'd never be a professional baseball player, but he stuck to it, and blah blah blah. Hello? that was my point! He had the capability and drive to succeed at it. What if *I* had made that a goal? It wouldn't be any more achievable than my desire to win a million bucks, when I don't even play the lottery.

So last night the stake YW president gave some comments after my talk, and she wasn't so much contradicting me as just wanting to clarify, but she told them that if they don't know yet what they want to do when they grow up, they should go home that very night and get on their knees and pray for guidance. I'm good with that, but some people really don't know until after they go to college, which is why the general ed classes are so varied. There are very likely fields and topics that a high school girl has never heard of until she has to take a class in college that introduces it. I just hate to think of a 15-year-old feeling like a failure because she hasn't chosen her career path yet.

I think too much.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:24 pm

No, you don't think too much. Goals are good and important. And we don't have to have our entire life charted at 15. It's okay to focus on being good at those things you need to be at that point. How many people go to college, pick a major they think they'll like, only to discover later this is not for them? It is entirely possible to get on your knees and pray and have a good feeling about something at age 20 and decide at age 40 that you need to start over with a new career. This doesn't mean the first was wrong or the second is wrong, or even that both were right. It means that prayer only goes so far (in that we're *expected* to solve problems).

I'm not saying *don't* pray. I hope that is obvious. Just don't expect that Heavenly Father is going to tell you what to do for the rest of your life. He *might*. More likely He'll expect you to learn as much as possible and figure out your own talents and use them in the furthering of His kingdom. D&C 58:26 says "it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant". I don't think asking for help and guidance is quite the same thing as expecting to be commanded, but you'll be a lot better off if you've done as much legwork as possible before each prayer.

At 15 you don't need to plot the exact course and every waypoint for the rest of your life. The goal can be as simple as "I'm going to learn as much as I can about as many different careers as possible so that at the right time I can select something appropriate". For some people the right time might be 15 or 16. For others 25 or 26. To each their own.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks, Scott! I think it's great when kids do know what they want to do, although I still think they need to keep their options open. Eric, as we know, has wanted to be a writer since he was about five. Son #2, Chris, is now, at the age of 37, doing his student teaching in history at the high school he attended. If you had told any of us 20 years ago that he'd want to actually spend his days back at the high school, I'd have laughed and he'd have punched you in the nose (his words). He didn't decide until he was in his late 20s, although it might have been a dream before that, one he thought he couldn't achieve. One of my daughters decided to go back to college at 27 and sometime after that decided to go into criminal forensics or something.

I wouldn't use myself as an example, because I never wanted to do anything except be a mom, and I doubt that anyone grows up thinking, "I want to be a school attendance clerk when I grow up!" Yet it's a perfect job for me, and when I started, at 40, I just kind of fell into it.

People are different. That is my shocking revelation for today.

Return to “Religion”