And now, for something completely different (religiously)...

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Jersey Girl

Re: And now, for something completely different (religiously

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 08:19 pm

I loved the stories on this thread too. I hope something has worked out for Adam. It is amazing to see the hand of the Lord in your life. I think now that I'm in my thirties I can see it much more clearly because I've lived longer than I did in my 20s. I've said no to two jobs. When I lived in NJ, I was working as a temp for a company that really wanted to hire me. They had great health insurance and since I didn't have any, it was a temptation. However, I decided to keep rejecting their offers. It wasn't in the area where I got my degree in and it really wouldn't get me anywhere. I had a graduate degree and most of the people I worked with didn't have college educations. About three months into my job, the company announced they were moving to Wilmington, NC. A few weeks later, my boyfriend broke up with me. I really had no reason to be in the place where I was living. I decided to move away to DC. The company I worked for had an office in Maryland in case things didn't work out for me in my profession.

When I got to DC, I went to a temp agency that hired in my profession and I got a job within a couple of weeks. The temp job turned permeant. After two years, I was ready to grow in my position. My boss said I couldn't rise in the company.

I started looking around and met a connection through a professional association. I had an assignment to go over to his company and decided I really wanted to work there. It had everything I was looking for. I saw a posting for job there and applied. However, my application didn't seem to be getting response so I took some courage and called my connection. He got my resume straight to the person who would do the hiring. When I went to the interview for the job, I realized that the job would be too boring for me. I would hate it after a couple of months. However, I also had an interview with the person who is now my boss and I really liked her. However, she would not be the person I would be working with. I also met a lady who became my guardian angel at the interview. We met briefly and I think I talked to her once my whole life. As I progressed through the interview process, the Holy Ghost started whispering to me to not take the job. I really wanted to leave my old company, but I couldn't deny the prompting to reject the job. I was in turmoil for a little bit and then finally wrote the letter to reject the expected job offer. I was at peace. I said if the company had the position I really wanted to let me know.

A few months later, I was doing some Christmas shopping in Filene's Basement and ran into my connection, He mentioned that the guardian angel was leaving her job and she recommended to them that I should replace her. She thought I'd be a good fit. My connection told me to expect something from HR in a few weeks. A couple days after Christmas they contacted me and asked if I was interested in interviewing with them again for the more ideal position. I took it the opportunity and started my job at my current company in February 2007. The next year my profession was laying off people like crazy. My old position was gone. If I had stayed at my old company, I wouldn't have a job. I left just in time. I've been at my current company for seven years and I still love the work that I do.

You really are blessed if you follow what you truly want to do and listen to the Spirit about timing. I wanted to leave my old job after six months there, but the spirit kept on telling me to stay. I had several missionary opportunities and met some wonderful friends that I am still friends with. It really is an amazing thing.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 02:39 pm

We had our Primary program last week, on the 26th. It went quite well, really, but I (as usual) felt like I should have done a better job writing it. It was short on time, but in planning for that possibility, I had decided to have them sing the Articles of Faith songs that they've learned so far, which I thought was 1-11, but turned out to be 1-10, and #11 fell flat on its little face. It was okay, when I stood up again to end the program, I said, "Okay, we should have stopped at 10!" and got a little laugh. The girl I've mentioned who doesn't go to Primary unless she feels like it just refused to come up to the stand, so there was no awkwardness, even though she had a part. One little three-year-old started his line in practice by yelling "Halloween!" into the microphone, but for the real thing he cried and left the stage before the program started, and wouldn't come back. But his line was "I love my grandmas and grandpas," and he said it to both sets of grandparents, so that was okay. And then his nine-year-old brother, who is kind of a strange boy, said his line and then dropped to the floor and ninja-crawled back to his seat. Too old for it to have been cute, but not many people were able to see it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:29 am

Two odd (in my opinion) things happened yesterday that relate to religion.

First, one of the teachers gave each of us in the office a wind chime. Mine is a frog, with hippie flowers painted on it, and it's green, so it's perfect for me and will hang on my front door. One of the others got a red bird, and another was a yellow butterfly. And the fourth one was twice the size of the rest, and it's a dreamcatcher, all hung with feathers. The recipient was horrified by it. She said, "I'm not a dreamcatcher person, I'm a God person." I had never heard before that one couldn't be the other. I love dreamcatchers, and I love God, too. So whatever. But then she said she's going to give it back, because "I'm just an honest person." I find that incredibly rude, especially given the fact that she just got another job and won't be here after Friday ever again, so it's not like she needs to make sure she won't get any more. (I don't even tell people who give me Starbucks that I don't drink coffee, because in this case it's the thought that counts, and I don't want to make them feel that they have to get a different kind of gift card just for me.) (And I don't want to buy muffins or hot chocolate at Starbucks, either, because I don't need calories while I'm shopping.) (I just give my cards to my friend.)

And then an old classmate of mine is dying of cancer any day now, and I told a small group of friends in a closed FB group, and one of them responded with the scripture saying that no one gets into heaven if they have not accepted Jesus. Another one said, "Praying that Jesus is his Lord and Savior." I thought both were very odd responses. First of all, Jesus IS his Savior, whether he knows it or not, and shaking our heads in sorrow as he is dying doesn't change his knowledge or acceptance. And what a non-comforting thing to say if he's NOT a believer. "Sorry your brother is dying, but you need to know that he's going to hell." I just don't understand that point of view. I really like my church, that teaches that there is always hope.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 12:05 pm

Lots of people seem to think they are tainted if they look at or touch anything that has even the tiniest little relationship to something other than their religion. Like magic! Harry Potter books.

I could not agree more with you about the salvation. Would a loving Father condemn his children to isolation from Him just because they never heard of Him or His rules? People mean well, but it's not terribly useful.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 01:18 pm

Primary program is coming up again! Not my favorite part of my calling, just because it's such a big job to write it, but it feels really good when it comes together. I love when I feel some inspiration!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 03:17 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Primary program is coming up again! Not my favorite part of my calling, just because it's such a big job to write it, but it feels really good when it comes together. I love when I feel some inspiration!

At least you weren't in charge of the primary choir that sang at conference. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 03:37 pm

At least that! Weren't they awesome? I was thinking how glad I am that I wasn't in charge of selecting choir members, and telling parents that their kids can't carry a tune, so no thank you. That would be the hardest part.

Return to “Religion”