First Presidency Letter

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:02 pm

So I taught Institute, and it went pretty well. I did stay behind the table, and halfway through I realized that I was standing on one leg, scratching one foot with the other, and otherwise not being dignified, and my legs were clearly visible to everyone. So I hope it wasn't too distracting. I could have avoided that by moving out from behind the table.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:28 pm

I bet you were great. I think that would be awesome to teach Institute. I loved teaching Seminary.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 14 Jun, 2008 06:25 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I realized that I was standing on one leg, scratching one foot with the other, and otherwise not being dignified, and my legs were clearly visible to everyone.

I was in the pharmacy drive-thru the other day. In the lane next to me, was an attractive older woman in the passenger seat of an SUV: really beautiful, in her 50's, classy looking lady.Then, I realized she was relaxed and had her leg hiked up on the dashboard. I thought that didn't fit her appearance but "what-the-hey, maybe she's tired." Then, I realized she was flossing her teeth using one of those little flosser things. She was really going at it, too, and I thought "ew, but maybe she just had corn on the cob." Then, she paused, looked at her flosser thing, saw food stuck on it and ATE IT! She sucked that flosser thing clean. I was so disgusted. Now THAT's not being dignified.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 14 Jun, 2008 07:09 pm

Ewww!

At least I don't even give the appearance of being dignified, so no one expects much.

Karen

Postby Karen » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:52 am

steelem wrote:I remember a long time ago hearing something from a General Authority about not asking people to look up scriptures in Sacrament Meeting, that that was more for Sunday School and not for a talk. I couldn't tell you who said that or when, but I remember darnit. Bonus points and a toaster for someone who finds out the reference.

I tend to think that it makes it more like General Conference, where they just read the scripture and be done with it, without a gadzillion people riffling through their scriptures. I guess if someone was really struck by the scripture you incorporated in your talk they could ask you later again which is was so they could mark it down.

I thought this was already a long-standing policy because I'd heard it requested in stake conference or something eons ago. Not only is there a pause that kills the flow, but the sound of hundreds of pages turning at once is loud and disruptive. I guess it made more sense to me then when I was in a college ward/stake where there were no little kids, so that sound was deafening and the pause really bugged me. Now that I'm in a regular ward with screaming kids running around, I barely notice the sound of page turning. Pausing is still disruptive and pointless though.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 01:51 pm

Karen wrote:Now that I'm in a regular ward with screaming kids running around, I barely notice the sound of page turning.

That would be because there is less page turning. Few people wrestling toddlers will risk dropping their open containers of Cheerios to turn to a scripture that will be read over the podium before they can even flip to the right chapter.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 03:14 pm

Yesterday in our ward our bishop in a very diplomatic way pointed out that in the foyer and RS room the meeting could be heard if the children were too chatty as to keep the reverence of our meeting.

I don't recall exact words but those are pretty close. I don't think I had ever heard it put that way. It was great. I didn't find it to be too loud or anything, one sister did get up with 2-3 of her little ones and returned towards the end of the meeting.

I know non-members always ask why the children are not in a nursery during worship service ( sacrament meeting )

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 01:12 am

This seems like much ado about nothing. Expecting people to find the references that you have pre-marked as a speaker is poor technique.
As is mentioning that "I have a lot more prepared but I don't have time for it." Just makes people wonder what you've left out.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:08 am

I like to take several pages of unrelated material up to the stand with me, so that at the end of my talk, I can bemoan the fact that I didn't get a chance to get to all the material I painstakingly and prayerfully prepared. It helps cover up the fact that my actual prepared material ran out seven minutes ago, and I've been doing nothing but telling jokes and repeating things my Book of Mormon professor at BYU said eight years ago.

I also like to start every comment in priesthood meeting with, "When I was AP on my mission...," because then everyone knows what I say is true.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:44 am

The Letter was read in my ward on Sunday. One of the youth speakers had a scripture to read in her talk, and announced it as "In 1 Nephi, chapter 3 verse 7
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:55 am

What a great way to have handled it InO! Kudos to your Bishop. Isn't he the one you have dirt on or something? :)

Chad

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 12:20 pm

Yes, that's him, although it's not so much dirt that I didn't get out of getting a new calling on Sunday.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 01:54 pm

That is great of your bishop to say what he did, and is exactly what I always tell non-members, that the children belong in church learning that is where they belong with their family together. I bet it does bring a sweet spirit to your meetings and your ward as a ward family.

I hope my saying " It was great." in my above post was not offensive, it was just great how the bishop said what he did, was very different. I hadn't heard it put that way, if one was going to say something.

I had 3 kids, 3 and under as a young mom and I don't think I even noticed noise unless someone pointed it out.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 03:16 pm

InOregon wrote:Yes, that's him, although it's not so much dirt that I didn't get out of getting a new calling on Sunday.

Do tell! What do you have to do now?

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 03:43 pm

False Doctrine Teacher, but I get to use as many visual aids as I want AND I get to ask people to turn to any scripture I want. Oh, the power!

petullant

Postby petullant » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:51 pm

jds88 wrote:he strongly discouraged the practice for more or less the reasons you state--it directs the audience's attention away from you as a speaker, which is the last thing you want.

Actually, that's EXACTLY what I want in such situations. I hate having all the attention on me and it takes all I have not to yell, "Fire!" and then bolt.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

Karen

Postby Karen » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm

petullant wrote:I hate having all the attention on me and it takes all I have not to yell, "Fire!" and then bolt.

That would be awesome. It would also make a nice post on the "curiously inappropriate" thread. I think you should try it and tell us what happens.

And InO, I've also heard bishops say that members of the congregation should be patient with the noise of little children for the very reasons you mentioned.

These announcements have an odd effect on me. For years, I haven't been bothered by the sound of little kids crying or laughing or running around, but the sound of people flipping pages in an otherwise quiet meeting drives me crazy!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 21 Jun, 2008 07:40 am

Re: little children in Sacrament Meeting - On my late 1970s mission in Germany, almost all the areas had small branches with some old men and old ladies. There were very few families in the church then. I remember a district meeting where one of the missionaries brought an audio tape he had received of his brother's mission farewell (back when we used to have those things). I didn't even listen to much of the talks, as I focused on the background noises common to a large ward. I didn't know anyone else was doing the same thing until one of the Sisters started crying, and pointed out how you could hear children and babies on the tape. We all cried with her at that point. Funny that some of you could have been those babies on that tape. I say, if they're screaming, they're too distracting and you should probably take them out; if they're just being normal kids, let them stay.

Re: letter in church - We haven't gotten it yet. Maybe my bishop is in open rebellion against church headquarters. :D
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Karen

Postby Karen » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 11:25 am

[quote="Mrs. Goofy Gordon"] Yesterday in our ward our bishop in a very diplomatic way pointed out that in the foyer and RS room the meeting could be heard if the children were too chatty as to keep the reverence of our meeting. quote]

I wish my sister-in-law's bishop had done this at their ward. The background babble of little kids doesn't bother me most of the time, but I wonder what the adult/child ratio is in that ward. It was seriously like a cafeteria in that chapel. I could barely hear the speakers inappropriate stories over the clamor, and I was in the third row!

Card

Postby Card » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 11:54 am

I just wanted to point out that my ward never had the letter read where you're not supposed to have everyone turn to the scriptures with you, but since that point, almost everyone who has spoken has asked everyone to turn with them to whatever scripture.

Return to “Religion”