Called in to see the bishop today

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:07 am

Based on the discussion in this thread, I've worked hard the last few weeks in my calling as Gospel Doctrine teacher to avoid asking the more patronizing questions out of the manual. Instead, I've tried to ask deeper, more thought-provoking questions about the material.

The other thing I found was that because more than half of the people in my class have known me since I was a kid, and many of those have been my teachers of one sort or another, I feel silly presenting myself as some kind of scriptorian. Mostly because I am not a scriptorian and this is the most in-depth reading of the scriptures I've ever done in my life. So instead, Gospel Doctrine in my ward is an hour of "Help Sister Pool understand just what she has been reading and correct any false doctrine she might attempt to teach" complete with awkward jokes and chalkboard drawings.

Anyway, all that to say, this thread has helped me become a better teacher. (I think.)
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:48 pm

I too have taken a lot from this thread.

In my class the past two weeks, I too have worked at asking deeper questions to just get us started on the topic and calling on folks by name and those that I don't normaly call on to read etc....

We had a very small group yesterday, but it was great.

Kudos to you Sis Pool. It can be hard to teach GD.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 04:05 pm

I've been called to teach the Temple Prep class in our singles ward, and I start tomorrow. There will only be one person in the class this time around, which will be hard. So many of the little gimmicks that are appropriate for teaching a class of several just don't work with one. But I'm looking forward to it. The first lesson is the Plan of Salvation, and coincidentally I have to speak in sacrament meeting next week on the same topic. I don't think they will overlap at all, though, unfortunately.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:53 pm

AWESOME!

I think that would be a great privilage to teach the Temple Prep classes. Best wishes to you, one student or twenty! I am sure you will do great at both, your teaching and giving your talk.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Return to “Religion”