Coolboy's Back

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Coolboyharrell

Coolboy's Back

Postby Coolboyharrell » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm

A-Hah!
I finally figured out what my password was. I'm back now. The mission was amazing. DR was a blast.

I know spanish now...that's nifty.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:40 pm

Coolboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(All right. I'll be the first to expostulate in disbelief: "Has it REALLY been two years already?" And the answer is, Yes. Yes, it has.)

Glad you 'membered your Password, dude.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:25 pm

Coolboy! I was just thinking about you today, as I was rereading an old thread and saw your name. I wondered when the mission would be over.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:42 pm

:D Hey! Welcome Back! My firstborn says "Hi!" too. So what are your plans now that you're home?
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks for the welcome back! I'm way out of the habit of posting, so I'll be even worse at it than before.

The plans? I'll be home in Alaska for about 3 weeks before going to Utah to get school stuff together. Yeah, I'll be going to Provo instead of Rexburg (send my apologies to the Firstborn). I got home on Thursday night after 17 hours of travel. The first day back I managed to spend 10 hours off in the Alaska wilderness. It's great to be back. I've seen a moose almost every day! I think I'm doing O.K. with the readjustment, but my Mom's already trying to get me hooked up with a girl in our ward. She's apparently in a hurry.

Momma: I got The Brownies. I wrote you a thank you letter, did you get it? I got them my last day in Utah. They had become a The Brownie Brick in the box which made things fun. However, being that it was my last day, I ended up giving them all away. I didn

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 08:15 am

Welcome Back, good luck with your plans for Provo.

Tell mom to let you think in English a little longer before setting you up with those young ladies in the ward!!!! :)
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:39 pm

Welcome Back Coolboy!

Thanks for introducing me to your sister's blog before you left. I've been having a blast reading it for the last two years!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:45 am

Hola Coolboy! I've been reading your sister's blog too, and not only is she funny and witty, but it turns out I was an RA in her building the year she was a freshman. Small world.

Also, which mission were you serving in again? I have a friend (Elder Pitzer) who just returned from the DR in December and it would be an even smaller world if you knew him.

Abrazos (electronicos, para que no te asustes)!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

The Don

Postby The Don » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:48 pm

Welcome back.
I like traffic lights.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:19 pm

Otnay allay Idersnay Illagevay embersmay eakspay Anishspay. :cry:

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:55 pm

Sorry, KareNin. I was just sending Coolboy some hugs but making sure he knew they were virtual hugs, not real ones. You know, since he's recently back from a mission and I don't actually know him in real life and all. Because that would just be awkward and freaky. Also, I was telling him about the dancing squirrel I am sending him as a welcome home gift.

Note: Part of this is a lie.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:15 pm

Eet's hokay, Audrey. I lived in Southern California for more than 25 years, so I wasn't referring to myself personally. Just didn't want anyone to feel excluded from the conversation.

EVERYbody can speak Pig Latin, can't they? Tiny children speak it, fer cryin' out loud.

But I'm not shy: Here's a BIG virtual hug for you from me, too, Coolboy!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Here's how it feels in Spanish:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ABRAZOS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Note: Part of THIS is a lie, too. (I can't really speak Spanish. But I can sorta figure out a lot of it, when it's written, because of my Mad Latin Skillz.)

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 02:14 am

Thanks for all the lovin' you two. Actually, I've been hugging it up a bit. I'm really used to having to shake people's hand from being in the DR (shaking hands is a big thing there), except most of the people I know would think it weird that we just "shook hands" upon meeting again. So...I hug because I don't know what else to do and it feels like I'm breaking a rule if I don't do anything at all.

It was the DR Santiago mission (the northern one). It's by far the best.

It's going to be hard to hold on to the Spanish. Last night, however, I organized all our DVDs by whether or not they have a Spanish track. I'm trying to find some easy retention methods.

Harry Potter 5 in Spanish was a bit better; you can hear them so much easier. They mumble a lot in HP movies.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm

Reading the scriptures and church magazines in Spanish help you hold on to your language. Praying in Spanish can help too.

Also so many jobs need bi-lingual Spanish speaking people, seek that out.

In Provo find RMs that you can practice with.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Olympic Beret

Postby Olympic Beret » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 05:14 pm

Welcome back!

[unsolicited advice] The MTC can always use Spanish speakers to help in the simulated discussions. They have many different time slots available throughout the week, so you'll have no trouble finding something to fit your schedule. I need to go back myself, actually... *fidget*

Provo has lots of native Spanish speakers, so just about any job that requires you to interact with the public will give you opportunities to practice. The library has a Spanish section with books, music and videos, too.

Write down all the fun slang words you can remember! Weird out your roommates! :D [/unsolicited advice]
Hopelessly out of fashion since February 2002.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:20 pm

Welcome back coolboy!!!

I also second the thanks for the link to your sister's blog. I met her once and she was pretty cool. I bet you are the same figuring it's your moniker and all.

All hail BYU Provo...you made the right choice :).

Man, your mom should give you some time to get used to not wearing a name tag and being in humidity. BYU will give you a lot more opportunities than Alaska.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:56 am

My husband served in the Santiago Chile Mission. Did I already tell you that? It feels like I did.

It shouldn't be too hard to retain your Spanish in ye olde Provoe. Participate in the Spanish/Latin club, get a job dealing with the public, find Peruvian and Chilean restaurants, read your Spanish scriptures. My husband, somehow, found tons of people from Chile when he came back to Provo and kept his skillz up that way. After a few randoms jobs in glass cutting/service, he ended up working for the State of Utah as a Spanish linguist/translator. He then worked for the FBI for a year as a contract Spanish linguist. Currently, most of his Spanish is practiced with my mom, a sister-in-law, and our little bebe.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:44 am

Um, trade Santiago for Antofagasta in my last post.

And, in the future, ignore this sleepless new mama.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Return to “Religion”