Brings on a whole new meaning to...

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Well, is it wrong?

Yes... and now I have to see my Bishop.
39%
No... they are God's creation.
6%
*Blank stare*
56%

Total votes: 18

Karen

Postby Karen » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 02:07 pm

I think the whole thing seems kind of tacky, but I don't think it's a big deal. The mom calendar idea irks me more, not because they're sexy (I'm assuming it will be mild like the guys - I would be extremely bothered if it were topless), but because they'll be discussing their favorite recipes. Not their hobbies, talents, achievements, ambitions, or anything else that shows LDS women have lives beyond family life. Women are right to be proud of serving their families, but even the proudest have other things to talk about.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:42 am

That's a great point! You know, if they were really smart, they'd fill the male beefacke calendar with recipes, that say are the missionaries favorite food from their mission, or that their momma makes or something. Then all the women who buy the calendar get some good recipes to go along with the pleasant pictures. And the sexy female missionaries/wifes pictures should have similar text guys want to read. I don't know, baseball stats? Or if the ladies pictured are closet gamer types, maybe their high scores on popular games or something? I don't know, I'm female, I'd rather read the recipes while looking at hunks.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I don't even think I own a 2008 calendar. They're paper, they're a waste of resources and are obsolete in 12 months! I'm an electronic gal. But, if there is a beefcake calendar in my house, it's those cute cows from Chick-fil-a.)
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Karen

Postby Karen » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:51 pm

Good thinking, KMD! That would almost make me want one. Almost.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:35 pm

No way! I'd get one of those calendars ONLY if the model for the month popped out of the photo, put on a shirt and cleaned my house and yard for the month. Ooh! Elder November could put the Christmas lights up on my house and take my place at the in-laws' Thanksgiving Dinner!

Yeah, then would I purchase that calendar.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 02:27 pm

I can't possibly be the only person wondering this...

The title of this thread is "Brings on a whole new meaning to RM!"

What new meaning? I keep trying to figure out if there is some two-word phrase that starts with those letters that somehow relates to this issue, but I can't think of anything. Am I just dense?
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 02:35 pm

Answer: yes
I'm your huckleberry...

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:57 pm

I think ~Zesdy~ was saying that this calendar has redefined, or reinterpreted, the role of a returned Mormon missionary.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the calendar in and of itself, although I would never buy one. I've never understood the fetishization of missionaries.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:27 pm

Jeff, it gives a whole new meaning to R.M. because they're not just returned missionaries, they're returned missionaries who have also posed for a calendar!! Now do you get it!! (The two exclamation marks are for that dumb girl Jenn who posts comments all the time on my site and ends every sentence with two of them!! Seriously, every sentence!!)

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:37 pm

EricDSnider wrote:(The two exclamation marks are for that dumb girl Jenn who posts comments all the time on my site and ends every sentence with two of them!! Seriously, every sentence!!)

Maybe she wants to use up all her exclamation marks before they expire each month. Or maybe she gets so excited when she types that she hiccups at the end of each sentence. Poor girl!!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:41 pm

It wouldn't be a problem if she would just switch to AT&T and get Rollover exclamation points.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Karen

Postby Karen » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 09:07 am

Jeff: I also had the thought of redefining "returned missionary", but I also had the thought R.M. could stand for "role model" since they want to branch out to mothers. These calendars most certainly redefine L.D.S. role models.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 09:36 am

Did they say they want to branch out to mothers? I thought that was my suggestion, but I didn't read the article very carefully, so maybe I was plagiarizing. And I, of course, was joking. If there's anything I'm less likely to want in my kitchen than a calendar with shirtless men, it's a calendar of fully-dressed fat women wearing pearls. It would be like looking in a 12-way mirror, plus pearls.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 12:00 pm

AdamOndi wrote:It wouldn't be a problem if she would just switch to AT&T and get Rollover exclamation points.

:lol:
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Mikkah

Postby Mikkah » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:27 pm

InOregon wrote:
KMD wrote:Another quote from the article "There's a very fine line here and [Hardy's] gotten close to it with the one with us, but when you start to do it with women, you start to get into the danger zone." So, why is it different with women, exactly?

I don't see a difference. As members of the LDS church, we're taught to be modest. When I was a kid, it was just as wrong for my brothers to go topless as it was for me. Society disagrees. (My husband disagrees too, but that's a whole other ball o' wax.)

The town my parents live in has a law that says only your genitals need to be covered in public. So, there's a woman who walks around town wearing nothing but a G-string made out of hemp. She was in the 4th of July parade this year, causing quite an uproar (it even made national news). I attended another parade to avoid seeing her. My sister saw her and said there wasn't much to see, as she is "built like a 12 yr old boy." At the parade I attended, the grand marshal of the parade was the local high school's biggest football fan--a shirtless, 400 pound man complete with giant, F cup, unholstered-by-a-bro man boobs. Was her shirtlessness worse than his? What if he'd been wearing a g-string too? Would anyone else agree this was a perfect representation of irony?

I live in Ojai CA and that is exactly the same person you are describing. She looks like she's 12-15, rides with her 'hemp' underwear and 'nip covers' on her bike or rollerblades all the time advertising for hemp clothing. She told the local papers that she is moving back home to Oregon sometime soon because 'back there everyone treats me with better respect.' Sometimes I wonder where people get the crazy notion that respect is a right and not a privilege.

- The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
----
-A new custom sig every time. Gotta read 'em all!

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 04:13 pm

Yeah, same woman. She moved up from Ojai just because Ashland has such liberal nudity laws. She goes by the name Earth Friend Jen* and she's all over the news.

*In case anyone wanted to Google. (I won't judge.)
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:59 am

Not gonna lie... I googled her. And watched the "Earth Friend Jen's Point of View" video. She does make some good points, but when you parade around public places wearing nothing but brown "fried eggs" and a "fake bush" claiming to be a social artist, I'm inclined to think people are going to be less likely to listen to your message and instead stare in disbelief and dismiss most of what you say as the ramblings of an overzealous hippie crackpot. And then flippantly throw away a plastic bottle just to spite you. Which kind of does your cause more harm than good.

I just hope Earth Friend Jen is applying her sunscreen liberally! Helloooo, global warming!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:55 am

Audrey wrote: when you parade around public places wearing nothing but brown "fried eggs" and a "fake bush" claiming to be a social artist, I'm inclined to think people are going to be less likely to listen to your message and instead stare in disbelief and dismiss most of what you say as the ramblings of an overzealous hippie crackpot.

Ditto.
I googled her as well, but I couldn't look very long. Ouchie on my eyes.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:03 pm

I have to admit, there is something intriguing about the idea of challenging nudity laws by wearing clothing that creates the illusion that one is nude. I don't necessarily see the "art" aspect to this, but I think it's a valid social statement.
goto 10

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:50 pm

There is always places like Glen Eden...

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm

There is always places like Glen Eden...
The place where No Dress Code emphasises the No Dress, and where stupid teenage boys have their eyes burned out as they try to sneek a peek only to get an eyeful of middle to old age naked people.
:D

As to the calendar, I am sorry that these RM's think that posing in a manner that would cause others to lust after them is the kind of attention the church needs to let others know "We are just like them". How did they miss that lesson about us being a "peculiar people unto the Lord"? I am just saddened by thier justification.
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

Return to “Religion”