Pioneer Day

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:49 am

About to go OT here on the subject of rope making, sorry.

Years ago I read an article in a weaving magazine about kumihimo, the art of Japanese rope making, and gave it a try. Basically, you take several strands of thread, weight them to hang around this wooden stand, and then you move the threads around, in a rather complicated form of braiding, to make a rope. There are all kinds of really specialized wooden stands and weights and things, but the article I read just cut a wheel out of cardboard and you put notches in the sides to hold the strands, like the weights would, and a big hole in the center to pull the braided part through. So, kumihimo on the cheap, I guess. :D The finished result was really pretty, but the process was very, very time consuming.

Wikipedia is my friend. Kumihimo! Hey! They even have a link to a PDF where you can make the cardboard wheel! I did the simple diagonal one, at the bottom.
Wheel PDF!

I'm sure there are other ways to make rope, this is just the one I have actual experience with.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm

hotel manager wrote:When I was a kid (on the East Coast, Audrey!) our ward had a "Pioneer Day Picnic" every year on the Saturday closest to July 24. There was a guy in our ward who would get up at 3 a.m., slaughter a pig and make Carolina style pulled pork barbeque. SO GOOD!!! It was always the best attended ward activity of the year.

We had this for 4th of July this year. After the pig pickin', the Elder's quorum presidency lit off somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 worth of fireworks. My ward is about 2/3 in South Carolina where there are very few regulations on fireworks. There's one particular fireworks store (just over the border into SC, which is where there are always fireworks stands and liquor stores :wink: ) that gives churches a 50% discount. Everyone pitches in and we have quite the festivity! It rivaled the amusement park down the road.

Unfortunately, the 24th kinda slid into obscurity this year. In times past we've been challenged to make the 24th a day of service in our community but nobody said anything about it this year.

And though my boss usually gives me the 24th off as a religious holiday we're gearing up for the Olympics and so there is no time off allowed right now. Stupid stupid Olympics.

Chad

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:13 pm

The two brothers in our ward had those fancy wooden things with weights. They had 3 pieces and braided them together as you have said here.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 07:03 am

deepdish wrote:my boss usually gives me the 24th off as a religious holiday

Really? That's kind of awesome and I would probably care about Pioneer Day more if I could play that angle! But I'm off the whole month of July anyway every year so I can't really complain. :D
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 09:36 am

I try to get every modern-day prophet's birthday off as a Religious Holiday.

But, usually I forget to ask and just end up working.

I'll bet if I really pressed it, I probably could. They all think I worship Joseph Smith anyway. Why not use their misinformed state to my advantage?
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 12:51 pm

Karenins_SuperSon wrote:I try to get every modern-day prophet's birthday off as a Religious Holiday.

But, usually I forget to ask and just end up working.

I'll bet if I really pressed it, I probably could. They all think I worship Joseph Smith anyway. Why not use their misinformed state to my advantage?
Ummm... maybe because you are an honorable man of high principle, and you know that it would be slightly dishonest?

Nah, that can't be it... :wink:
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 02:29 pm

Getting the 24th as a paid religious holiday was actually my boss' idea. She had lived in SLC for a few years early in her career and though it was the perfect holiday: midsummer right when you need a day off and it breaks up the big stretch between 4th of July and Labor Day.

She's Jewish, and takes all the Jewish holidays, so she insisted I take the Mormon holiday.

I said I'd be happy to take it off, but that Pioneer day was more of a Utah holiday than a religious holiday. She said, "and in Utah the difference is...?"

Can't argue with that logic.
Chad

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 05 Aug, 2008 04:01 pm

I wish I had known about Pioneer Day when I was a kid in Florida. I was always so envious of the Jewish kid in our class who took all the holidays off. He'd just announce when he wasn't going to be in class and our teachers never questioned it.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Return to “Religion”