Pioneer Day

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Pioneer Day

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm

What is your LDS Ward doing to celebrate???

If in Utah you had the day off yesterday and got to see that great parade on TV or in person!

Our Ward is having a Rocket Launch
And picnic!
The scouts made kit rockets and all who want are encourage to also.

Ours looks pretty cool, but a brother in our ward has a 5 -7 foot one to set off!
Not sure what it has to do with pioneers coming across the country, but sure sounds fun. It is nice to be the new guys and have new experiences.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:10 pm

I wish our ward did stuff as cool as a Rocket Launch Picnic. If they did, then maybe I would make an effort to actually attend ward activities.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 12:31 pm

Ah...
Leave the path. Forge new trail.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 01:23 pm

We had a family dance not long ago and a dinner with The Price is Right Game. It was very fun.

Come on down, 9-1 Pm East Wenatchee 2nd.

Some wards I have been in had ward activities few and far between, and nothing to really make you feel really welcomed and fun, but we always went and supported them, this ward is pretty good about every other month, and they really involve everyone.

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:04 pm

Huh- our ward did nothing for Pioneer Day. Never has. I hadn't realized it 'til you brought it up.

My husband had Pioneer Day off. He sat at home and read a book. All day. The day before he said he was taking me somewhere fun. I got dressed up and got "yeah just a minute" several times. I waited. And waited. And waited. Several baby feedings came and went. By 7pm, I changed into gardening clothes and weeded the yard. Hooray for pioneers!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 03:27 pm

We're having a multi-stake Dance Festival today and tomorrow instead of a typical Pioneer Day event, so I didn't have to feel guilty about not wanting to dress up in long-sleeved pioneer clothes to go play outside in the heat. Instead, I feel guilty for not wanting to go to Redlands (an hour or so away) and sit in a huge crowded stadium in the heat. But my husband, since he works for the Church, had yesterday and today off, so we're building a picket fence.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:17 pm

I always loved pioneer day when I was younger (12-18). We would celebrate it at one of our church buildings that was in the foothills. They would dig pits to cook pigs, and we'd have yummy food and lots of people dressed up as pioneers and there was a primary parade and then when it got dark we'd have a dance on the patio under the stars. It was awesome.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:08 am

Oh, yeah. Pioneer Day. Back here on the heathen East Coast we completely ignore this "holiday." And then we call it a holiday in air quotes. I could have celebrated by wearing this t-shirt but that might have been funny only to me.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:24 am

Momma, our region is also doing a multistake danced festival thing this weekend. I hadn't ever put it together that it was supposed to correspond with Pioneer Day.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:57 am

Momma Snider wrote:We're having a multi-stake Dance Festival today and tomorrow instead of a typical Pioneer Day event, so I didn't have to feel guilty about not wanting to dress up in long-sleeved pioneer clothes to go play outside in the heat. Instead, I feel guilty for not wanting to go to Redlands (an hour or so away) and sit in a huge crowded stadium in the heat. But my husband, since he works for the Church, had yesterday and today off, so we're building a picket fence.

My sisters were in that dance festival. Are you saying you blew off my sisters in order to build a fence????

P.S. My sisters worked really hard on their dance numbers.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:24 am

My own sister was the stake dance festival chairman, and I STILL don't want to go.

I do want to see it on DVD afterwards, though. I think it sounds really cool, but sitting in a crowded outdoor stadium in the heat is just more than I can do. I hope your sisters have a good time, pizzo! Too bad I won't be able to pick them out by what they're wearing.

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:56 am

pizzocalabro wrote:
P.S. My sisters worked really hard on their dance numbers.

Which means it must have been the best dance ever and if you don't like it, it's becuase you're just mean. Make sure to give it a standing ovation.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:43 pm

Coolboyharrell wrote:Which means it must have been the best dance ever and if you don't like it, it's becuase you're just mean. Make sure to give it a standing ovation.

Coolboy, you are excellent at ferreting out nuance. Thank you.

Momma Snider wrote:I hope your sisters have a good time, pizzo!

I am specifically not asking them about it, because I'll be with them on vacation for two weeks starting Friday, and I don't want to run out of things to talk about before we even get in the car. How awful would that be?

So I'm way worse than you, Momma--not only am I not going to watch their performance, but I refuse to know how it went. Until I see them next week, that is.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:01 pm

I watched the Pioneer Day Tabernacle Choir thing tonight (forgot last night) and it was great! Especially Shenandoah. That was so beautiful! And I'm speaking in church tomorrow, not on the subject of pioneers, but they will be mentioned.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:30 am

Audrey wrote:Oh, yeah. Pioneer Day. Back here on the heathen East Coast we completely ignore this "holiday." And then we call it a holiday in air quotes. I could have celebrated by wearing this t-shirt but that might have been funny only to me.

Cool shirt. Our Florida ward didn't do anything either.

Here in MN, they have dedicated all the overall topics for Sac Meeting this month to something around pioneers. It's been really nice, because they have explored the fact that there are many more pioneers in the church than the ones who crossed the plains. For instance, I am one, being the first (and so far only, unless you count dead people) member of the church from my family. I only came to the realization that I was one because the bishop specifically invited a convert to speak on that very topic. I found that talk much more interesting than the one where the guy read from his ggg aunt's journal for 30 minutes, during what was supposed to be a 15 minute talk.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

seespot

Postby seespot » Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:12 pm

Audrey, that is an awesome t-shirt.

On July 24, I had to figure out a creative way to get my husband to work, while avoiding the parade route and not hitting any marathon runners. It was quite the little adventure. Then I had to get home again. I love living in downtown Salt Lake.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:43 pm

Audrey wrote:Oh, yeah. Pioneer Day. Back here on the heathen East Coast we completely ignore this "holiday." And then we call it a holiday in air quotes. I could have celebrated by wearing this t-shirt but that might have been funny only to me.

I love Oregon trial. My ward celebrated pioneer day last week with talks about missionary work. Personally I think of "pioneer day" as a meh holiday. It's just Utah's excuse to celebrate the 4th of July again.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:58 am

Our Rocket Launch Picnic was great.

Lots of fun for all ages, one rocket was a mini port a potty, another like a big ballloon, the 6ft tall one. Ours had two engines and went the furthest, we had to drive a block or two away and find it but we did!

There was washing of clothes, with a clothes line and pins to hang them up with, making bread on a stick, cleaning of saddles and making rope for the kids to do. A few dressed in costumes and lots of time to sit in the sun and just relax and chat.

Burgers and hot dogs grilled outside, salads and goodies to eat.
It was a nice contrast of then and now.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:23 am

"making rope " ? How do you do that?

We had pony rides, tug-of-war, water balloon launching with a giant slingshot, and "penny in a haystack" They had a bunch of pennys on a tarp covered with hay and the kids got to search through the hay to find them.

But ever since reading Eric's SnideRemarks on Pioneer Day and the greased pig chase I just feel incomplete without a pig at the festivities!

http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/when-y ... on-a-star/

Come on, Bishop - don't you know your priesthood responsibilities?!
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:48 am

When I was a kid (on the East Coast, Audrey!) our ward had a "Pioneer Day Picnic" every year on the Saturday closest to July 24. There was a guy in our ward who would get up at 3 a.m., slaughter a pig and make Carolina style pulled pork barbeque. SO GOOD!!! It was always the best attended ward activity of the year.

Here in Las Vegas, our ward's Pioneer Day celebration consisted of singing "Carry On" during Sacrament Meeting.
I'm your huckleberry...

Return to “Religion”