A mission call

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

A mission call

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 04:53 pm

Our good friend's son got his LDS mission call to the Jacksonville, FL leaves to report to the MTC on Oct 22nd.

This is a son who has come a long way since he was a young man, has been away at college and now this , so wonderful.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

The Don

Postby The Don » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 06:15 pm

A mission call is always good news!
I like traffic lights.

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm

I always wonder how I would have reacted if I'd been called to somewhere like Jacksonville, Florida. I'm sure that I would have loved it and had a great time once I got there, but I'm sure you never think about Jacksonville when you're thinking about where you might get called to go. I had a bishop that went to North Dakota and I was like, man, I might just have had to say no to that. (Of course, when I was waiting, I said I would like to go anywhere but I hoped it was not to an asian country because of the language difficulty. The call: Tokyo. Oops.)
I'm your huckleberry...

steelem

Postby steelem » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:57 pm

My father-in-law went to Oklahoma. At least they have a song for it, I guess.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

Benny

Postby Benny » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 03:07 am

I wasn't really expecting to go to houston, but at least I got to speak spanish. Being able to speak english sometimes was nice
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:03 am

That is my home mission. If he is ever in the Gainesville 2nd Ward I will likely have him over for dinner.
It's a good mission, very successful of late and varied in terms of areas.

I wanted to speak Spanish, that was all that I wanted, and I got to do it in San Diego. All the benefits, none of the parasites.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 09:08 am

hotel manager wrote:I always wonder how I would have reacted if I'd been called to somewhere like Jacksonville, Florida. I'm sure that I would have loved it and had a great time once I got there, but I'm sure you never think about Jacksonville when you're thinking about where you might get called to go. I had a bishop that went to North Dakota and I was like, man, I might just have had to say no to that. (Of course, when I was waiting, I said I would like to go anywhere but I hoped it was not to an asian country because of the language difficulty. The call: Tokyo. Oops.)

Imagine getting hauled off to Jacksonville FL because your husband got a job there. My sister is a Minnesotan by heart and a Jacksonvillian (evilness abounds there. not really) by necessity. She has never warmed up to it, but she has made the best of it that she can for 8 years.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a mission call to ND. And my dad was in Fargo for a while (also Thunder Bay and Minneapolis, where he met my mom and wasn't a very good missionary). He was a California boy but he liked the Upper Midwest so much that when the first job opportunity came to live in MN, he and my mom moved up here.

Anyway, is Orange Park/Fleming Island part of the Jacksonville mission? Cuz that's where my sister lives.

Card

Postby Card » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:19 am

Benny wrote:I wasn't really expecting to go to houston, but at least I got to speak spanish. Being able to speak english sometimes was nice

Ditto. Whenever anyone asked me where I wanted to go, I said "Anywhere but the South." Whoops!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:30 am

hotel manager wrote:I always wonder how I would have reacted if I'd been called to somewhere like Jacksonville, Florida.

For me it was quite disappointing when I got the envelope, had my family gathered around me, and read "Wisconsin Milwaukee Mission." After all, I had taken three years of Spanish in High School and all. Also, I was to report to the MTC on December 18th, 1998. Yeah. My time in the MTC wasn't the most joyous. I know you're not supposed to be, but I am still jealous of people that got to go to awesome places. For instance: my friend that went to Spain, my brother-in-law that went to Australia, another friend that went to Russia, etc. Oh, well. I suppose that my spot-on Wisconsinite impersonation is something to be proud of.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:32 am

I went to Kentucky, where the women are fast and the horses are pretty :)

I definitely wasn't expecting that call. I read the letter a few times before it really sank in. I had heard of Kentucky before, but had to check the map to see where it was.

It was technically an English speaking mission, but those Kentuckians sure seem to have some funny ideas about what passes as English.

Oh, and if you ever want to get a Kentuckian riled up, tell him that the World's first KFC is located in Salt Lake City, UT.

jds88

Postby jds88 » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 12:02 pm

Whenever anyone asked me where I wanted to go, I said "Anywhere but the South." Whoops!

Same here; I wanted to go somewhere cold and wound up in the Amazon Basin.

--Jim

treen

Postby treen » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 01:34 pm

AdamOndi, I was like that for awhile too - my brothers went to Hong Kong and Germany at the same time I went to Fresno California. I didn't even change time zones and went further from my home to the MTC than to my mission. But now they're jealous that I served close instead of far away because I went back for visits a couple of times (including a temple sealing - woo hoo!!), and they never have.

I also spent Christmas in the MTC so I feel for you there.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 01:51 pm

I wanted to go foreign, especially to England, Ireland, or Scotland. I hadn't really thought much about the rest of Europe. I thought I'd probably go to Central/South America because I'd studied Spanish for four years.

When I opened my call and it said Portugal, I was ecstatic. Not a place that I'd thought of (who does think of Portugal?), but it was great. I'd learn a new language that was close to one I already knew. And I even knew where it was. I can't tell you how many times until I left that people thought it was in South America.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

The Don

Postby The Don » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 03:13 pm

I wanted to go to Europe....and did. Italy to be precise.
I like traffic lights.

apmusicman

Postby apmusicman » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 04:32 pm

AdamOndi - I totally had the same experience. I spent the four years before my mission living in Utah and then got my call to Mesa, AZ. When I read the letter my dad immediately said: "You know, you can contest the call."

It's been 10 years now and I'm still a little jealous of friends who got to go to cool foreign countries and speak cool foreign languages, but Arizona ended up being the perfect place for me for a host of reasons.

Besides, there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, more effective at helping you to lose weight than riding around Mesa in the summer on a bike in full proselyting attire. Most people gain weight on their missions--I lost 75 pounds. Sadly, I put most of it back on, but at least I know a sure fire way to lose weight!

karinka

Postby karinka » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 07:06 pm

I wanted to go anywhere that didn't involve my speaking Spanish. I was ELATED when I read that I would be going to San Diego and less so when I read I'd be speaking Spanish. Anyway, it was AWESOME! And I got to meet J-Low(doggy). And I never gave him crap as one of my leaders the way others got it from me. He's good people! And FUNNY!

I left the MTC the week before Christmas 1997. My MTC district had a Christmas party before we left. My mom sent us all presents, as did some other moms. We had a blast! And that first (and second) Christmas in the field was one of the best Christmases ever! I've never been one of those sentimental people who has to be with family during holidays. I may or may not be home for the second Christmas in a row this year, but it's okay because I'll be home at some point.

And hearing about people straightening things out to serve a mission is always a feelgood story. I hope your friend has an amazing, if hot and humid, experience in Florida.
"The question is 'Is she hot' not 'Would you do her'. Respect the game."

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 08:24 pm

He had some learning and behavior issues in school when younger, his parents got put through many a meeting and some meds to get him through school. They are an awesome family and this is their youngest of 3 sons. The other two have made other choices in their lives and so this is really a wonderful thing for him to have this desire to serve.

I so wanted to go overseas, but to an English speaking places, Canada, England etc.... I took some Spanish and Italian in high school. I had a bishop who was also my institute teacher, tell me if I ever served, it would be in Greece or Italy. He was one of the first I called after my call came. I served in Milan, Italy. My dad, not a memeber, didn't like that I would be so far away, but all were excited.

The MTC was very hard. There were many tears and I questioned why I was there. The language , even though I had some, not the same or as intense.
We left to Italy right before Thanksgiving.
The two Christmas holidays I was in the field were some of the best.

As for WI, my best friend had a son serve there and another in Chicago. I lived in Kenosha while he was there, was nice to be able to take her boys goodies and see them. WI is agreat place, cold, but nice.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 10:03 pm

I was very surprised when my mission call was to Alaska. I had never even considered the possibility of serving a mission in Alaska. I loved it! I would much rather be cold than hot. You can put on sweaters and stuff when you're cold. Not much you can do when you're hot and you've already taken off all the clothes you can and you can't sit in front of a fan all day.

I had wanted to learn a language until I got to the MTC and realized it was hard enough trying to learn how to be a missionary without trying to learn a language on top of everything.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:28 pm

apmusicman wrote:Besides, there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, more effective at helping you to lose weight than riding around Mesa in the summer on a bike in full proselyting attire.

Montezuma might have something to say about that! ;)
www.NewMoneyMama.com

steelem

Postby steelem » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:01 am

Man, I always feel horrid when I see the poor missionaries out here riding their bikes in 110+ degree weather. If any mission qualified for a car, I would think it would be these Phoenix/Mesa missions, at least for the summer. Geeeeeez.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

Return to “Religion”