A mission call

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

apmusicman

Postby apmusicman » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:08 am

ImAdhis wrote:
apmusicman wrote:Besides, there is nothing, and I do mean nothing, more effective at helping you to lose weight than riding around Mesa in the summer on a bike in full proselyting attire.

Montezuma might have something to say about that! ;)

You know, I think you might be right! In that case, I'll defer to his, um, prowess... :lol:

steelem wrote:Man, I always feel horrid when I see the poor missionaries out here riding their bikes in 110+ degree weather. If any mission qualified for a car, I would think it would be these Phoenix/Mesa missions, at least for the summer. Geeeeeez.

I always thought so too. When I asked my mission president about it, he said that he preferred having his missionaries out among the people and seen rather than holed up in a car. When I mentioned that our investigators would rather have clean looking, clean smelling missionaries come into their homes to teach them the gospel, he gave me a quizzical look and said, "don't worry, Elder. I'm sure the Lord will bless you." Um, thanks?

Anyway, he was a military general before he left to serve as a mission president, so I'm not sure he was used to having someone question his authority. Needless to say, I did not receive a car, but it all worked out in the end.

steelem

Postby steelem » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm

That's what I wondered about it too, not just the dropping dead of heat stroke, but the sweat. Maybe they're going for the sympathy thing? I mean, you'd have to be pretty cruel to turn away two young men pouring with sweat with the haggard face of heat exhaustion...
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:00 pm

steelem wrote:That's what I wondered about it too, not just the dropping dead of heat stroke, but the sweat. Maybe they're going for the sympathy thing? I mean, you'd have to be pretty cruel to turn away two young men pouring with sweat with the haggard face of heat exhaustion...

You would also have to be pretty cruel to turn away two young men who are out tracting in the bitterly cold -10 degree temperatures plus windchill in Wisconsin. And yet, it happened more times than I care to count. There were times when people wouldn't even open the door, instead shouting "It's too cold!" through the door in response to our knocking. And then I would think, Yeah. I know. I've been out in it for two hours now. We learned quickly not to count on the sympathy vote.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm

karinka wrote:I wanted to go anywhere that didn't involve my speaking Spanish. I was ELATED when I read that I would be going to San Diego and less so when I read I'd be speaking Spanish. Anyway, it was AWESOME! And I got to meet J-Low(doggy). And I never gave him crap as one of my leaders the way others got it from me. He's good people! And FUNNY!

Igualmente Hna Karinka.

GenAdFemale wrote:Anyway, is Orange Park/Fleming Island part of the Jacksonville mission? Cuz that's where my sister lives.

Orange Park is the site of the Jacksonville West Stake Center. It is the in very heart of the mission, which also goes up to Georgia, down to Ocala, and includes beautiful (hot and muggy) Gainesville.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:01 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:Orange Park is the site of the Jacksonville West Stake Center. It is the in very heart of the mission,

Then to the young man who is going to Jacksonville mission, Fleming Island 1st Ward (or are they in 2nd Ward?) has a nice family of Smiths who like to have missionaries over and serve them scrumptious dinners. Br. Smith is on the high council and Sr. Smith is in YW. At least for now.

And Orange Park has lovely winter weather. I wore shorts there in Nov-Feb (months I have visited--I won't visit in the summertime), even though everyone else wore parkas and mittens. One man's chilly 50 degree weather is another woman's chance to bear her stout white legs.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm

GenAdFemale wrote:One man's chilly 50 degree weather is another woman's chance to bear her stout white legs.

I'm guessing by the spelling that this means you've given up on shaving. Is it a Minnesota thing?
www.NewMoneyMama.com

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:54 pm

I'm the ward mission leader and I have the elders over for correlation meeting on Tuesday nights. I have to fumigate my whole downstairs with Fabreeze to eliminate the B.O. that they emit after a day of riding bikes in the Las Vegas summer heat. Frankly, I'm not surprised that they don't get into many doors. Phew!
I'm your huckleberry...

vivster

Postby vivster » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:41 pm

karinka wrote:I left the MTC the week before Christmas 1997. My MTC district had a Christmas party before we left.

Interesting. We never would have met, being in different languages, but we were in the MTC during the exact same time. I went in October 15, 1997 and left just before Christmas as well. I loved my mission, but not the MTC. I hope you had a better experience at the MTC.

In all my expectations of where I might be called, Russia never even crossed my mind. I thought the British Isles would be interesting, what with having ancestry from there. I didn't want to go somewhere close by (I was at BYU). More than anything, I just didn't want somewhere hot with huge bugs. Instead I got western Siberia. But the irony is that it still had unbelievably hot, humid summers with nuclear-enhanced mosquitos. Oh well. Winter was fun, though, but I always prefer cold over heat anyway. The wind was the killer, though. Into the -10s, -20s and even a little into the -30s (Celsius) wasn't too bad with enough layers. But the Siberian wind is lazy: it doesn't go around you, it goes right through you, regardless of layers. And -40 (right where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet), it's cold no matter how many layers you have. Tracting was not so much fun in that. Removing all the outside layers once someone invited us in took a while. But that was always better than tracting in the summer and seeing I can't count how many older men and women in minimal skivvies answer their doors. That was scarring. Anyway, in spite of all that, it was one of the best things I've ever done.
I hate violence, yes I do. It's kind of a dilemma, huh? - Jackie Chan

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:31 pm

vivster wrote:But that was always better than tracting in the summer and seeing I can't count how many older men and women in minimal skivvies answer their doors. That was scarring. Anyway, in spite of all that, it was one of the best things I've ever done.

Now imagine that you went to a poor, tropical, island like me and it was like that very single day. Yay for the DR.

But other than that, it was the best ever. I'm glad we agree.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:35 pm

ImAdhis wrote:
GenAdFemale wrote:One man's chilly 50 degree weather is another woman's chance to bear her stout white legs.

I'm guessing by the spelling that this means you've given up on shaving. Is it a Minnesota thing?

Pffffft.

Bare.

Shaving is for pretty women, thin women, tan or olive-skinned women. So I am rather hirsute (did I spell THAT right?).

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:34 pm

As big as my calves have always been, even when I was thin, I do have to bear my legs, as in haul them around. They used to be pretty hard to bear when I cared how I looked, too.

Ishmael

Postby Ishmael » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 01:24 pm

I went to Provo on my mission.

In some ways, it was like being a rock star for two years.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:18 pm

I've had to bear my stout white legs since 1974.

Before that, I had to bear my Brooks white legs.

But speaking of shaving one's legs, I sliced a big hunk out of my right leg the FIRST time I shaved them (without permission; I sneaked into my sister's room and used her razor), and again the LAST time I shaved them. And I mean it; that was THE LAST TIME. What's the point?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:55 pm

KareNin wrote:But speaking of shaving one's legs, I sliced a big hunk out of my right leg the FIRST time I shaved them (without permission; I sneaked into my sister's room and used her razor), and again the LAST time I shaved them. And I mean it; that was THE LAST TIME. What's the point?

So...how long ago was that?

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:51 am

Coolboyharrell wrote:
KareNin wrote:But speaking of shaving one's legs, I sliced a big hunk out of my right leg the FIRST time I shaved them (without permission; I sneaked into my sister's room and used her razor), and again the LAST time I shaved them. And I mean it; that was THE LAST TIME. What's the point?

So...how long ago was that?

Three days after the first time. Zing!
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:07 am

The hair on my legs is almost invisible. It's very light in color, very fine, and very sparse. Also, for reasons unknown to me, it is extremely resistant to being shaved off. I suspect it's because it doesn't have enough substance to it to "stand up" and get cut off. I think each hair lies there against my wet leg skin, cowering until the razor has passed by, then jumping up and sticking its tongue out at me in giddy relief.

When I determinedly go over the surface again, applying a little bit more pressure to make sure I don't miss the spot, invariably I use too much muscle, and end up ripping up a little strip of flesh, which bleeds profusely, and of course still has the hair attached that I was trying to shave off.

The LAST TIME this happened was shortly before the Ohio SnideFest on August 1. I wanted to have nice, smooth, well-groomed legs for such an important social occasion. But instead, I ended up with scabs and Band-Aids. I wore long pants, in my humiliation, instead of the cute lime-green shorts with the rhinestones on the pockets I was going to wear.

Anyway, I'm done. Nobody looks at my legs anymore anyway, except in fascinated horror, trying to figure out why they don't work very well. So I'm cool with it. Won't have to spend money on replacement blades or shave gel; won't have to accidentally bleed onto nice towels, won't have to use up all the Band-Aids on self-inflicted leg filleting.

Whee!!

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:40 pm

Wait. When you said leg fillet was on the menu, I assumed it was leg of lamb.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:23 pm

InOregon wrote:Wait. When you said leg fillet was on the menu, I assumed it was leg of lamb.
I always serve mint jelly with lamb. Did you see any mint jelly on the table?

Never assume. It makes a nass of u and me.

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:19 pm

KareNin wrote:r, trying to figure out why they don't work very well. So I'm cool with it. Won't have to spend money on replacement blades or shave gel

Hold on...you're supposed to replace those blades? Right...I think that explains something. I never use gel either. I just use water. I find I'm more likely to cut myself with a new blade and gel (I stop paying attention) than with my old stuff.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:21 am

So Coolboy, it comes out, that you shave your legs too?
:D
So are you like those Olympic swimmers who shave all the body hair to go faster?
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Return to “Religion”