New Nursery Manual

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 12:54 pm

When I was the nursery leader, we sent home a note taped to (the back of) each kid when we were low on snacks and asked the parents to send some at their next convenience. Then they could just add "box o' crackers" or whatever they liked to bring to their grocery list and bring it in. The primary bought a big box of something or other at Costco that we used for a backup when we were out of parent-provided snacks, but we only had to dive into that once or twice for the two years I was in the nursery.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 02:10 pm

I like that idea! I would only enhance it by suggesting the note be stapled to the back of each kid. Adhesive tape can be so if-fy.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm

Skip the note altogether, I'll just write it on their foreheads with a Sharpie.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm

Now, that's just ridiculous! You'd get a hand cramp before you got through half the kids.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:56 pm

I have a question about nursery and I didn't want to start a new thread. Is 18 months old the official age to start nursery, or the recommended age? Ondipants will be 18 months old in a few weeks and we're excited for him to start nursery. A few people I've talked to mentioned they started their kid in nursery anywhere from 15-17 months old. I'm just curious if it's an individual nursery thing, or if the 18 month age isn't set in stone like I always assumed it was.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

seespot

Postby seespot » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:31 pm

18 months is the official age. Children should not start before they are 18 months.

As a former primary president and nursery leader, I was a little anal about enforcing it.

steelem

Postby steelem » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:27 pm

I will sometimes let them come in a week or two early, depending on the child and if both parents are in 2nd/3rd hour callings. Also, sometimes they get to come in early if the parents are helping sub. I know my Emma got to go in around 16 months, but that's because there was only like 5 kids in nursery in Indiana, and my husband and I were both in big callings on Sundays. So it really probably depends on the flexibility of your particular nursery leader and/or primary president. Some kids are ready to walk in to nursery and not look back at like 16 months and others have to be pried off with a crowbar still at 2 1/2 years. SO, yeah, 18 months is the policy, but I tend to take it at a bit of a case by case basis.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 04:50 am

It's always been 18 months here. My daughter had her first week last week.

It was the first Sunday where I have been to every meeting in about...18 months.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:14 am

Oh, how I long for the sweet, sweet day...
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:14 am

Well, as the person who currently wrestles with OndiPants during church, I will be taking him into Nursery this Sunday and I will hang out with him in there to see how he handles it. He will be exactly 18 months on 11/10, so the 8 days in between this Sunday and the tenth can't possibly make that much of a difference.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 08:53 am

Especially if you help the nursery leaders. :)

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 09:54 am

Yep, especially.

I have a friend whose daughter went into Nursery at 12 months, but that's because that nursery was desperate for playmates.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:43 am

From the Handbook:

Children may begin attending the nursery class when they are 18 months old. Children who are 2 years old on 1 January continue in the nursery class until the end of the year. Children who are younger than 18 months do not attend Primary or nursery.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks all for your comments. It's nice to know what other people do and also what the handbook says.

I just hope Ondipants does well with going to nursery. I think he will really enjoy playing with the other kids. I don't know how he will handle the change in schedule. I guess he's got a couple of years to figure it out.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 04:52 pm

That said, there is an actual calling(s) available in the MLS system for "Pre-Nursery", so you can actually have a "Pre-Nursery".

We talked about doing this in our ward. We have several young mothers that have made their own Foyer class due to their young children. Or rather, they use their children as the excuse for why they don't attend Sunday School. I understand to a degree as the 14-18 month age is difficult to contain the young ones. But, these mothers have been completely ignoring their kids who just wander off into other parts of the church and people bring the kids back to the moms.

ANYWAY, we tossed the idea around of having a "Pre-Nursery" where the parents would be able to meet in a room and they would take turns offering the Sunday School lesson, not the lesson from the Nursery manual.

It was met with interest for a while, but was never acted upon.

But, what with it being a option for an official calling and not a made-up one like "Picture Straightener", I would assume that the Church condones such a calling/class, since they went through the trouble of coding it into the MLS system.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Return to “Religion”