New Nursery Manual

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

steelem

New Nursery Manual

Postby steelem » Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:43 pm

Woo! There's a new shiny manual for Nursery out (I'm guessing, to start next year). But here's the wierd thing...it only has 30 lessons, including Christmas and Easter. Uhmm. The old manual has 46. Have we shaved some weeks off the year? Do we get some Sundays off?

I was just about to start getting my slew of copies of art projects (that go with the lessons) done before baby comes, and now...not so much.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

seespot

Postby seespot » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm

There's nothing wrong with repeating lessons, especially because new kids will be starting as the year goes by.

I'm very excited about it. I'm going to start using it for Family Home Evening.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:52 pm

Yay, just in time for Ondipants to go to nursery in a couple months.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 11:47 am

Also, would the nursery kids really complain if they had the same lesson a couple of times per year? I am sure that in Gospel Doctrine or one of the youth classes, someone would raise a hand and wonder what was going on, but the nursery kids are just not going to raise a stink about it.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

steelem

Postby steelem » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm

Geez, I was hoping for 16 Sundays off.

Sara without the H

Postby Sara without the H » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 06:51 pm

I just read a review at Times and Seasons. One of the creators of the manual answered your question in the comments. His answer: young children learn best through repetition. You can even repeat the same lesson 2-3 weeks in a row to help them learn a particular concept.

steelem

Postby steelem » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 11:19 pm

So I have a question, because we're all spread out everywhere, do you think or does your ward already ask for donations (IF you can) for nursery snacks, like paper plates, a box of graham crackers, etc.? Or other auxilliaries too...

seespot

Postby seespot » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 06:27 am

In my ward in Tennessee 13 years ago, when I was Nursery Leader, the parents rotated bringing snacks. We had cups for water and a back up snack that came from the primary budget. In my last ward and current ward, the snacks have come from the Primary Budget.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 06:21 pm

steelem wrote:So I have a question, because we're all spread out everywhere, do you think or does your ward already ask for donations (IF you can) for nursery snacks, like paper plates, a box of graham crackers, etc.? Or other auxilliaries too...

I don't know where the snacks in our nurseries come from (beyond being grown in the nursery snack farms of the Midwest), but I know they're paid out of some budget. Even so, when my husband and I were nursery teachers, we brought our own from home because the kids acted like freakin' addicts on withdrawals at just the sight of the fruit snack packs in the snack bin. We'd usually bring an apple (we'd slice there with an apple wedger) and something like raisins or baby carrots and then supplement with the crackers that were already in the snack bin. The kids loved the fresh stuff, and it didn't cost much at all to bring it each week. I don't see why bringing a couple snack items can't be part of the Nursery Teacher calling.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

steelem

Postby steelem » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 09:23 pm

Yeah, the problem being we have 55 kids on the list, and an average of 35-40 weekly. They cost about $30 a month to keep fed, which, granted, is cheaper than a horse, but it sure makes the budget disappear fast...
It's during lunch time, too.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 11:34 pm

If it is during lunchtime why couldn't you suggest to the parents that they send a bag lunch with thier kid? Request something easy to clean up. Then each parent can send what they know their kid likes.

Maybe that would be impractical with so many kids, but if it is during lunch time, surely they would understand the need?
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 09:46 am

We have 5 or 6 nurseries (and more than 200 Primary kids in our ward). It only cost like 80 cents to a dollar each week (two dollars if I wanted to bring some out-of-season fruit) to feed our nursery class, not counting the water and a baggie of crackers. Are you guys serving them Godiva chocolates and cheap caviar? Kids don't really like caviar.

Again, I think nursery teachers can bring in a few things for their own students as part of their callings. I also like RenLass' suggestion.
Last edited by ImAdhis on Fri 05 Sep, 2008 09:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 09:47 am

The problem with asking parents to send a bag lunch with their kid is that not everyone will do that. And then you would end up with half the nursery kids having lunch and half not having it. That would be more of a pain than trying to make a snack tie the kids over until the end of lunch time church.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 09:49 am

Ok, then the teachers can do it. It's not that big a deal; I'm not sure why it becomes one.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Card

Postby Card » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 10:17 am

I've never been a nursery leader, but I definitely think that people in the callings shouldn't have to pay for anything out of their own pockets.

deepdish

Postby deepdish » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 10:49 am

Given that it's September, if the primary budget doesn't provide enough to cover the nursery snacks, then the President needs to go to the Bishop to arrange for a larger budget the following year.

Salt Lake increased the percentage of the budget to Primary and the YM/YW programs a few back. In a ward with that many nursery-age children there should be plenty of money for that increase, but it won't happen unless it's asked for. It certainly should not be expected to come out of the pocket of the teachers.

Good Luck!
Chad

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 10:57 am

We have roughly 100 nursery kids, and primary has by far the largest budget in our ward. I agree that the teachers definitely should not have to pay for anything out of their own pockets.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 11:22 am

Meh. Obviously not a popular thing, but I didn't mind spending $1 a week. I forgot what the original question was...

steelem wrote:So I have a question, because we're all spread out everywhere, do you think or does your ward already ask for donations (IF you can) for nursery snacks, like paper plates, a box of graham crackers, etc.? Or other auxilliaries too...

No. Our auxiliaries don't ask for donations; we "potluck" our supplies for some Relief Society activities, but that's about it.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm

I coordinate the Nurseries, so it's up to me to get snacks. AND noooo, it's not Godiva and Caviar, it's Goldfish, graham crackers, froot loops (generic) and pretzels. :) I have to get the snacks, we can't rely on actually having teachers there every week consistently to bring their own snacks. And the idea of chopping apples for 40 kids makes me a little twitchy. :)

steelem

Postby steelem » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm

Oh and I also gave the Bishopbric the heads up in January when I saw my budget. I told them, "Uhm, this is only going to keep these monsters fed for like, 6 months you know."

I'm all for a bigger budget next year. :)

Return to “Religion”