72 hour kits

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Jersey Girl

72 hour kits

Postby Jersey Girl » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 09:31 pm

I was just reassessing mine this week (we had a hurricane threat and I wanted to be ready). I was wondering what is in your 72 hour kit and how do you store it?

I have mine in a backpack but I don't think I have enough food and water in there for 72 hours.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 10:21 pm

My S&W and 150 rounds. Just kidding.

We have the flashlight, 2 extra sets of batteries, 6 gallons of water, and after that it gets pretty lazy. Just lots of normal canned food from the pantry.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 11:52 pm

My mom actually gave us a couple of really cool 72-hour kits that she made for a ward activity. They are backpacks, about normal- to large-sized. Each of them has several Ziploc bags with various supplies, sorted by category. Some of the things in our kits are:

First aid kit
Beef Jerky
Food Rations bars (individually wrapped and like 1500 calories each)
Drinking water packets
Batteries
Flashlight
Glowsticks
Emergency whistle with built-in compass
Portable radio
Emergency blanket
Compact toilet paper rolls
Water purification tablets
Spare Ziploc bags
Scrub cloths (kind of like small, disposable towels)
Small plastic tarp
Rope
Poncho
Fire starters
Matches
Candle
Cough medicine
Toothbrush & paste
Hand warmers
Small bottles of the following: Baby powder, hand sanitizer, Shampoo, body wash, Gold Bond medicated powder, Bug repellent
Folding utensils (looks like a Swiss Army knife, except is a knife, fork, and spoon)
Multi-tool (Leatherman type tool)
Kleenex

It is a very heavy backpack, but it is an awesome 72-hour kit. It's the sort of thing that is easy to run into the closet and grab if you need to get out of the place in a hurry.

This thread reminded me that there are things in the kit with expiration dates (like the jerky) that need to be replaced. At any rate, I would highly recommend putting together a kit like this for each adult and child that is old enough to carry a heavy backpack like this.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 07 Sep, 2008 10:13 am

I have almost everything in my 72-hour kit, but I'll tell you what, it is the freakingest heaviest backpack ever! We regularly test how long we can carry our packs and I always end up with broken capillaries on my shoulders. The heaviest thing in there is the water. I can't imagine how much the pack would weigh if we actually had EVERYTHING that's recommended for a 72-hour kit.

In addition to our packs, we also carry 5 gallon buckets, which aren't as packed, but they make good emergency potties and chairs.

I'll post what we have in our packs later... gotta feed the baby.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 01:59 pm

I'm unsure of where the best place is to keep our 72-hr kit - the car or the closet?

Because what happens if there's an emergency and we can't get to our house?
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 03:39 pm

lilcis wrote:I'm unsure of where the best place is to keep our 72-hr kit - the car or the closet?

Because what happens if there's an emergency and we can't get to our house?

Actually, most of the recommendations I have seen about this say to keep one in each place.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm

If you only have one, I'd think the car would be the better place to keep it, but yeah, two would be ideal. I don't have either, but this is reminding me.

I went on an earthquake tangent several years ago and insisted everyone keep a bottle of water next to their beds, in case the house fell down and they were trapped. It's funny the things I'll get obsessed about, while ignoring other, much more likely scenarios.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 05:48 pm

I just had an image of your hand stretching from underneath some sheetrock and bedsheets to a perfectly upright bottle of water just 3 inches too far on the nightstand. I found it a comical image until I typed it out. Now, it just sounds morbid of me.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 06:11 pm

Yep, it was a silly image I had, too. I couldn't allow myself to imagine serious injury to one of my kids, so it was just kind of a cocoon of drywall, leaving plenty of room to drink a liter of water.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm

My work gives us emergency go bags, but honestly the only thing probably useful in it is the hand crank radio. There isn't enough stuff in it to keep you alive for more than a day. Chances are you're most likely going to be at work when something happens, not at home (on 9/11 the terrorists hit during rush hour so there is even a chance you won't be near your 72 hour bag if you use public transportation like I do). I think the only reason we have them is because an office manager a long time ago was LDS and some terrorist tried to ram an airplane into an important building a few blocks away. Silly terrorists. I keep water at my desk but that's mostly because I go to the gym and I don't like the taste of the Desani in the office vending machine. I also have a can of soup in case I forgot lunch and am too cheap to go to the cafeteria.

I noticed my 72 hour backpack is ripping. I don't have a change of clothes in it like a lot of the providentliving sites recommend. Also how do you keep 3 gallons of water in a backpack? I have water bottles in it and according to the water bottle pack I have I would need 8 of them to even make a gallon.

Does anyone have any favorite emergency supply websites? I know about emergency essentials and I've used the camping section of Target for supplies.

If you have any more suggestions on what to put in the bag keep them coming. I'll try to list my contents when I have a spare moment.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 09 Sep, 2008 08:09 am

It is too hot in Florida to keep the 72 hour kit in the car.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Tue 09 Sep, 2008 12:52 pm

My company just built an on-site Emergency Center. Some of it's features:

1. Communications Center with back-up generator
- PA system, satellite phones, HAM radio

2. Incident Management Center
- satellite television feed so that we can keep track of what's going on

3. Supply Containers
- First Aid: blankets, pillows, windbreakers, privacy shelters for restrooms, emergency oxygen, defibrillators, etc.

- Food & Water: support 3,000 people for up to a three-day period.

- Mobile Trailers: First Aid trailer (stocked with standard supplies such as burn and other assorted bandages, basic medications, and back boards) & facility services trailer (emergency generators and lighting systems, ladders, tools, small tents, building blueprints among other items)

So I'm in pretty good shape if something happens at work.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 09 Sep, 2008 05:13 pm

I was thinking about the heat, too, and keeping the kit in the car, but I guess if I rotate the food items often it will be okay. Maybe in the one in the house I could keep stuff that won't melt or get yucky, like trail mix. Yum.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 25 Jul, 2009 11:30 am

ImAdhis wrote:I'll post what we have in our packs later... gotta feed the baby.

Wow- I never posted this as promised.

Oh, well.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Return to “Religion”