My LDS temple music video

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

BeeDub

My LDS temple music video

Postby BeeDub » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:25 pm

Hey all. It's been a while since I posted, but I finally seem to have something to contribute.

A little while ago, I decided to teach myself video editing. For my first project, I took several different LDS church videos and cut together a lot of footage dealing with the temple and temple worship to the song "In the House of Stone and Light" by Martin Page. It's a match-up that I think is natural, and I've had it in the back of my head since I first heard the song several years ago.

You can see it here. I hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by BeeDub on Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead people to truth, but you can't make them understand it: the story of my childhood, as seen from the present.
-Bill Watterson

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm

I won't lie, you made me pretty nervous when I first read that topic.
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

BeeDub

Postby BeeDub » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm

Ah. I've added the word "music" for clarification.
You can lead people to truth, but you can't make them understand it: the story of my childhood, as seen from the present.

-Bill Watterson

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:08 pm

I thought the video was great. I didn't really like the song that much, though.

Zannah

Postby Zannah » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:04 am

I like the idea, but I might make a few changes. For example, I found it a bit disconcerting that the panning shot with Christ in the Kirtland temple was immediately followed by the shot of Elijah (at least, I'm assuming that's Elijah). At first I thought, "gee, He's looking like not himself; oh wait, that's Elijah." The way those two shots pan could make them (at first glance) part of the same scene; I'd either add something in between, choose different shots from those scenes, or just pull Elijah out. Or something. Also, and this is again just my very unimportant opinion, but some of the interior shots of the temple just didn't feel right with that music. I know that the stuff you used is released by the Church for public consumption, but it just didn't feel terribly respectful.

The part that I think you got right - as in absolutely perfect - was the bit with the sweeping aerials, around the 3:45-4:05 mark. The movement fit the music perfectly, and I really liked the exterior shots of all the temples with the song.

Just my

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:11 am

I liked it. As someone who's been inside a few temples, I can see the reason why people might not like the music, but I think if you view it through the lens of a nonmember, you'd simply see the beauty of the temple as well as a general idea of what happens, set to music that isn't too missionary churchy. (a new term!) I also was struck with beedub's love for the temple.
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm

I liked it too, especially the swooping aerials that Zannah pointed out. It goes well with the song, which is one of my favorites.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 09:22 am

What did you use to edit it all together?
<a href="http://family.jasonlwright.com/"><b><i>I got a blog...</i></b></a>

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 01:22 pm

Duct tape...?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 02:34 pm

That's possibly the best duct tape job I've ever seen. You know there are much easier ways now than actually cutting the tapes and taping them back together.

BeeDub

Postby BeeDub » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm

Jason Leslie Wright wrote:What did you use to edit it all together?

Adobe Premiere Pro. I ripped all the footage from various church DVDs, most notably the Church History 3-disc set and "Between Heaven and Earth."

I have to say that some of the reactions to the video were anticipated, especially regarding the style of the music. I can understand the reaction of it being, if not irreverent, perhaps "not sufficiently reverent." The lyrics of the song, however, fit the concepts of the temple and a person's spiritual longing for renewal so perfectly, I went ahead and used it anyway.

As for the Jesus/Elijah thing... I suppose it's up to individual interpretation as to how well it works, but I wanted Elijah to be on screen for the lyrics "Give me the wisdom/Give me the key." Because of the whole "keys of the gathering of Israel" thing.

-Bill Watterson

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 05:44 pm

I haven't played with Premier in ages. I'd like to try it again now that it ties in with Photoshop, Flash and After Effects nicely. I thought that the edit was clean and the song matched well. Personally I thought that it was nice to see the temple with a more upbeat song. No one ever said that video footage of the temple had to be accompanied by slow music.

Mrs. Goofy Gordon

Postby Mrs. Goofy Gordon » Sat 20 Sep, 2008 01:02 pm

Great job, I am sharing it with friends. Perfect song too.
Some people are like Slinkies...they are not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Return to “Religion”