Funny Stuff

The place for religious discussions -- doctrinal or cultural, Mormon or otherwise.

Moderators: Lady Celtic, Eric's Moderator Brother, seespot, Sara without the H

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 09:45 am

Karenins_SuperSon wrote:
Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:With the exception of Snide Remarks and Police Beat the DU was always a joke.
That is SO not true, Lowdog.

I read it for three things:
- Snide Remarks
- Police Beat
- Reprints of Calvin and Hobbes

Don't forget that third one!

I stand humbly corrected.

hotel manager

Postby hotel manager » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 10:50 am

The DU also had the NY Times crossword every day. So that makes four reasons it was worth the paper it was printed on.

I'll probably be dating myself with this one, but do you remember the Student Review? It was one of the highlights of my freshman year, but when I got back from the mission, it was gone and no one that I talked to seemed to know the story of where it went. I still remember the "Unifarce" issue, "The Book of Lemuel" and "Fast and Testimony Meeting Bingo" from the SR. Good times.
I'm your huckleberry...

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 10:59 am

Jason Leslie Wright wrote:I think that the mistake was intentional by the person who made it to see if they could get it past everyone else. I played with the Spell Checker in InDesign (which they were really quick to blame) a little bit and no matter how I misspelled Apostle, Apostate was always a few down the list.

Did you try spelling it "apsotale"? According to the <a href="http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705295678/Spell-check-burns-BYU-newspaper.html">Deseret News</a>, that's what the original misspelling was.

Which actually starts to make more sense the more I think about it. As I recall, photo captions were written by the photographers themselves, who seldom gave two craps about things like spelling and grammar. They just wanted to get the info on the page so the editors would have something to work with. I could easily see a photographer typing "apsotale," especially if that person thought the word was supposed to be spelled "apostale," which would not surprise me in the least. Then a copy editor, stressed out and working on a tight deadline, rather than writing a new caption, merely spell-checked the one the photog had written as a place-holder.

I know it's fun to smell conspiracy in everything, but when the explanation is either human error or intentional destruction, human error is almost always the right answer.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 12:19 pm

EricDSnider wrote:Did you try spelling it "apsotale"? According to the Deseret News, that's what the original misspelling was.

I'd bet a lot that this statement is not true as written.

But yeah, Eric, I think you just inadvertently proved your point.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Jason Leslie Wright

Postby Jason Leslie Wright » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 01:47 pm

If you type it as Eric said, Apostate and Apostle are right next to each other in the options. I guess it's possible that it's human error but that's just too easy of an excuse. I think if I saw both words next to each other and I was in a hurry, I would select the right one. If you have them separated out and even with Apostate listed first, it is obvious which is the correct choice.

Apostate
Apostle
<a href="http://family.jasonlwright.com/"><b><i>I got a blog...</i></b></a>

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 01:55 pm

My point was that Eric meant to type "apostale," but inadvertently typed "apsotale" (AP SOT ALE).

So didn't anyone else even notice that? What the heck is wrong with me?

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 02:04 pm

KareNin wrote:My point was that Eric meant to type "apostale," but inadvertently typed "apsotale" (AP SOT ALE).

Ah. Your point was wrong, then. Look at the DesNews article:

"The Daily Universe was using Adobe software called InDesign, which, when it found the word apostle misspelled as "apsotale," suggested "apostate" at the top of its correction list."

AP SOT ALE is what I meant to type, because that's how the DesNews reports the word was originally misspelled.

Jason, as for this: "I guess it's possible that it's human error but that's just too easy of an excuse." That's exactly why that probably IS the correct explanation -- because it's the easiest. The simplest explanation is usually right. In this case, the alternate theory, in which a conspiracy involving several people is executed in utter secrecy, is just silly.

How could someone choose "Apostates" as the correction instead of "Apostles"? By not looking at the context of the sentence. By not paying attention. By absent-mindedly clicking the wrong correction. I'm stunned that people who AREN'T in a hurry screw up "your" and "you're," but it happens constantly. People make mistakes all the time, including very, very dumb ones that seemingly no person should ever make. Why is it so hard to believe that someone made THIS mistake?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 02:17 pm

Well then, I apologize, 'cuz I didn't check the Deseret News article; just your account of it. I honestly should have realized that if you typed "apsotale," Eric, "apsotale" is exactly what you meant to type.*

I don't know what I would do with a staff member who thought "apostle" was spelled "apsotale."

I'm just sorta glad that InDesign didn't suggest the proper spelling of the word was "asshole," although that seems almost as big a jump to me.

But okay. Truce. It was an innocent, non-conspiracy, stupid, careless, sloppy typo that was not caught by anyone in the chain. Guess it's not such a surprise that newspapers all over the country are stopping production. Online, mistakes can be corrected much more quickly and with less attention.

*Edit: I also just realized that I failed to read the rest of the paragraph Eric wrote, wherein he reiterates the not-word "apsotale" and explains that the writer probably thought it was spelled "apostale." Had I read that all the way through, I wouldn't have shown my monkey butt by posting my subsequent comment. So I am guilty of being an incomplete idiot.
Last edited by KareNin on Tue 07 Apr, 2009 09:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 02:19 pm

KareNin wrote: know what I would do with a staff member who thought "apostle" was spelled "apsotale."

You'd be glad they were only a photographer and not a writer. :)

Card

Postby Card » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 02:31 pm

I think that we want to believe that it was intentional because it's so much more fun that way.

Kind of like the Greater Lie Theory, which states that people are more willing to believe the bigger lie if it purports to provide more money or entertainment or something else of larger value than either the truth or a smaller lie.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 08:05 pm

I obviously have no idea, but I want to believe that some of the apostles find the mistake amusing as well.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 10:30 pm

hotel manager wrote:I'll probably be dating myself with this one, but do you remember the Student Review? It was one of the highlights of my freshman year, but when I got back from the mission, it was gone and no one that I talked to seemed to know the story of where it went. I still remember the "Unifarce" issue, "The Book of Lemuel" and "Fast and Testimony Meeting Bingo" from the SR. Good times.

I remember The Student Review. It caused a big splash on campus when it came out and then died down. I remember there were some controversial articles in it but I don't know exactly how it ended. I had a friend that wrote for it but she said it kind of faded away.

I actually have a copy of a Daily Universe front page from 1996 where they pretended it was the National Enquirer. The headlines were like child gets arrested for parking in A lot. I still have clippings from it that I saved because it was hilarious.

Letters to the Editor were some of my favorite.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 08:27 am

SDR wrote:I obviously have no idea, but I want to believe that some of the apostles find the mistake amusing as well.

That's been my thinking all along too, but I'm sure policy requires that they be outwardly outraged.

Edited to add: This reminds me of a small typo in my junior high yearbook. The school caught the mistake before the copies were issued but much too late to have reprinting done. We're talking the late 1960s here. They made a big deal out of it by putting white-out on the error which stood out like a sore thumb, and was easily scraped off. We all gleefully scraped and discussed in much more detail than we would have had they just left the error alone and made us find it on our own. As is so common in these situations, the best solution is often to do less than more - would there be such a mad hunt for original copies or online postings and discussions if they had not done the huge recall? Maybe that wasn't an option in this case; I don't pretend to know journalism. But I know human nature and would bet money, if I ever bet money, which I don't, that the problem is more widely known now than it would have been without the huge effort to make it as if it had never happened.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 09:24 am

I don't think policy would require them to be outwardly outraged. (That's the name of my next band, by the way.) I suspect they're probably just ignoring it, letting the Daily Universe handle it. But I do think some of them probably thought it was funny.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 01:20 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I don't think policy would require them to be outwardly outraged. (That's the name of my next band, by the way.)

I'm no EricDSnider, but occasionally something funny slips from my brain. I loved that little phrase the moment I thought of it.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 06:19 pm

I have an original! My boss grabbed 5 of them once she heard about the mistake. How much to you think it'd be worth on eBey?
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 13 May, 2009 09:31 am

My son's been talking a lot about Jesus lately. When my wife was reading him a book about a selfish giant that walls his garden to keep the kids out, and then the garden turns cold and dead, my 4 year old yells, "You know who makes things better? Jesus! And he shoots rainbows from his hands!"

And then he laughed and said "I was just kidding about the rainbows. That's silly!"

The Don

Postby The Don » Thu 14 May, 2009 10:56 am

4-year-olds are are often hillarious.
I like traffic lights.

steelem

Postby steelem » Sun 17 May, 2009 02:56 pm

On the way home from church today, the kids saw that the community pool was full of people, and were appalled that they were swimming on Sunday. I explained that not everyone goes to our church, that maybe the missionaries would have to teach them. Lucy (3 1/2) said, "The missionaries will drive by, roll down their windows and say, 'YOU'RE NOT POST TO BE IN THE WATER! GO TO CHURCH!'"

Aggressive missionary drive-by work. Sweet.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

The Don

Postby The Don » Sun 17 May, 2009 06:31 pm

Working in the primary I often get asked by the nursery leaders (both women) to take little boys to the Mens room. Today I took one of the usual suspects, ushered him into the stall, and waited outside. I soon heard the sounds of velcro being pulled back and recognizing a kid trying to take off his shoes I quickly admonished him to leave them on. His reply, "I might pee on my shoes."

Hey, who am I to argue with that.
I like traffic lights.

Return to “Religion”